Sign in to follow this  
twisted

hit detection

hello.

i am new to ofp (can't believe i missed it for 4 years)

anyway i really enjoy it.

but one thing i noticed that i want to aks about. hit detection.

why when shooting enemies (AI & online players) in the head it doesn't seem to register a hit or kill them instantly?

for a realistic game this is one thing that surprised me a lot.

is there a hit detection update? or am i missing something? or have i just gone crazy and am sseeing things?

lol. cheers.

it happens in single and multi. (i'm on cable and average 35ms ping). i first noticed it when i tried to host a multi game and mucked up so all there was were me and a couple AI suad mates who i decided to shoot cause i was bored. i aimed at their head and shot and nothing. then i shot them a bit lower (neck and down) and they went down. but then 2 surviving AI shot me. lol. unclesam.gif

PC rig = AMD 2800XP, radeon 9800 pro, 512MB RAm so i don't think its my computer.

update... cool.

i'm running GOTY version 1.96 as found on this websites download section. sorry for not mentioning it before.

swo judging from the severe lack of yes its normal replies that it's probably me just going crazy or something. I'll recheck it tonight.

thanks for you replies guys.

Did you shoot them with the iron sights because the free floadting sight on your screen is not completly accurate especially up close.

If you're talking about aiming for the head and missing then it most likely comes down to practice and experience, unlike a lot of games Opf simulates the way that you cannot hold a rifle rock steady no matter how much running around you do etc. Personally I stick to double tap to the chest as the most effective, reliable and consistent take down method smile_o.gif

Sometimes in Opf you can shoot someone in the head and them not be killed, it's very rare that a head shot that hits doesn't kill but one would assume it is possible in real life, plenty of stories about bullets grazing the temple, even going through the cheek etc. etc.

Or you can aim to the feet of the enemy with a grenade launcher , this way you don't have to aim carefully to the head to be sure the enemy will not open fire back to you wink_o.gif

Make sure you have extended armour disabled and as mentioned before, the cross-hair is off by about a dozen pixels (1280x1024) so use the iron-sights untill you get used to ammending your aim with the cross-hairs.

hey placebo, do u play online, or just single player? If so what do you play, CTF , DM , coop , C&H ...?

I invite u for a game of what ever you want on ELITE server, when u get some time and u feel like playing =) think it wuld be verry fun to play vs someone from team =)

Think it would also be verry nice to play you in DM blues.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Regards //ICedude

Sorry I don't play online sad_o.gif

Or you can aim to the feet of the enemy with a grenade launcher , this way you don't have to aim carefully to the head to be sure the enemy will not open fire back to you wink_o.gif

Bah, aim for the head even with the grenade launcher biggrin_o.gif

Surely you play some sort of multiplayer, Placebo? Do you play with friends directly connecting, or on a local area network? Or do you really only play alone?

Oh, you have not even begun your Operation Flashpoint experience until you have gone up against intelligent minds instead of pathetic machines. Try a strategy mission, like Campaign Everon.

Surely you play some sort of multiplayer, Placebo? Do you play with friends directly connecting, or on a local area network? Or do you really only play alone?

Oh, you have not even begun your Operation Flashpoint experience until you have gone up against intelligent minds instead of pathetic machines. Try a strategy mission, like Campaign Everon.

Look at his member title. He's called "Ãœber Verwalter", for the one reason, that he's head moderator and employed by BI so I don't think you can teach him much about OFP biggrin_o.gif

Well you can try.

"Now this is called your gun. Point and shoot. In some cases pray".

smile_o.gif

I used to play MP quite a bit, mainly Co-ops with friends, I'm not a big fan of DM/TDM/CTF that kind of gameplay just seems beneath the "whole" that is Flashpoint wink_o.gif

I don't play MP now because I don't have connection for it, 196kbs wireless would not provide very splendid MP latency smile_o.gif

Now back to the hit detection topic wink_o.gif