Sign in to follow this  
gandalf the white

The latest US weapon: The sword!

the poll choises are for the modelers to see how popular the addon would be, simple smile_o.gif .

first off, a pic, so you instantly know what we're talking about:

complete picture

This spring, the US army is going to deploy eighteen new "weapons" in iraq,Special Weapons Observation Reconnaissance Detection Systems, or SWORDS for short, basicly, they're remote controlled robots/URV's (based on the ones used to dismantle bombs),with the dimensions of about 30 inches tall, 22 inches wide, and 34 inches long. they are equipped with a variety of weapons. such as the M16, the 240, 249 or 50-caliber machine guns, or the M202 –A1 with a 6mm rocket launcher.

Chances are good the SWORDS will get even more deadly in the future. It has been tested with the larger .50-caliber machine guns as well as rocket and grenade launchers - even an experimental weapon made by the Australian company Metal Storm LLC that packs multiple rocket rounds into a single barrel, allowing for much more rapid firing.

some more facts for the config:

max. speed is 4 MPH

-It is allmost complete-silent (running on batteries rather then fuel)

-it can run for "one to four hours" on a full battery (say two hours, plenty for every mission).

-It has zoom lenses and night vision.

-can be outfitted with: M16, M240, M249, .50 or the M202–A1 with a 6mm ATM, vietnam era AT launchers, and Metal Storm's 40 MM grenade launcher.

The more you read about it, the more intresting it gets basicly biggrin_o.gif I wonder if you can equip it with a (fictional?) laser designator too, just set the thing up, close the operating console, and you can continue your usual buisness wink_o.gif .

pictures:

complete picture

comparison to human

optical stuff and the main gun

Operator's control deck

If someone (suddenly i'm thinking of Philcommando tounge_o.gif ) is bored enough to make one that would be great, I dont have any high hopes (we all know what happens to 99.99% of the suggestions on this forum), but admit that it could serve a role in combat smile_o.gif .

"Pic too big. No exceptions." -Shads smile_o.gif

Rofl, it looks cool, but I dunno what use it would have in OFP, sadly.

looks n sounds cool, this could be used for more modern types of recon like uav stuff and also watching a group of these roll into a firefight and causing havoc would be fun biggrin_o.gif

Yeah, I saw a short story on the news about these a while back, but I didn't know what they were called. They showed three in the story - M240, .50 and grenade lancher.

Rofl, it looks cool, but I dunno what use it would have in OFP, sadly.

Well if it becomes a part of US Infantry combat strategy then sure its got a part to play in Ofp .

A while ago i toyed with the idea of remote weapon systems in Ofp , dont know off hand if anyone else has done it allready.

Precision remotes

Oh man that thing looks badass.

it sure does tounge_o.gif

would it be a bit unfair to fight against non-humans? like in terminator biggrin_o.gif

Oh man that thing looks badass.

it sure does tounge_o.gif

would it be a bit unfair to fight against non-humans? like in terminator biggrin_o.gif

they are small, they dont run out of stamina, yes, it's unfair biggrin_o.gif

but if it's configged like a tank or APC you can make the hit points you have on every tank, but inflictable with (hand)grenades and .50's , cause don't forget: "there's allways a bigger fish" wink_o.gif .

At this point i really wish i could model... I could kidnap Manticore then, and have her built a RC script... or something sad_o.giftounge_o.gif

I was expecting the return of the cold steel not some fancy robot sad_o.gif

me too biggrin_o.gif

wonder if it's a UK thing...

Hmm....if I can recall correctly, vehicles that size are ''impossible'' in OFP (until someone once again proves otherwise). It might be done with scripts though (like done with Predator-like drones in the past).

That thingy looks like something to disable traps/bombs with a machine gun! biggrin_o.gif

But you can also go with it to the Russian camp at night at ofp and shoot them all into pieces without fear of dying. wink_o.gif

Yeah. It would be a nice vehicle for going into buildings to check for boobie traps and enemy militants hiding inside, but I think if something like that was just sent around without any infantry support, militants would be trying to jump on it to disable it and take its weapons, battery, and cameras to use for themselves. lol

Sandia Labs made a ATV based remote patrol/AT weapon system awhile back but I'm not sure if the US Army ever bought it. It was very unique and interesting.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Damnit, i read the word "sword" and of course i vote i'm interested. I don't know about that thingy you meant then.

@eestikas88:

It is based on the drone that is used to disable bombs ( "Talon" )

@Dynamite crow:

I posted a pic at the start, but it was too big (intresting sig you have btw wink_o.gif)

@Friendlyfire:

That would be great, models can allways be improved, but if the theory of a remote-controlled drone with these weapons can be executed it would be kewl too, just something that moves you in as a driver when you activate it, and that warps you out when the vehicle is destroyed... or something rock.gif

Yeah. It would be a nice vehicle for going into buildings to check for boobie traps and enemy militants hiding inside, but I think if something like that was just sent around without any infantry support, militants would be trying to jump on it to disable it and take its weapons, battery, and cameras to use for themselves. lol

Sandia Labs made a ATV based remote patrol/AT weapon system awhile back but I'm not sure if the US Army ever bought it. It was very unique and interesting.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

You are referring to the Fire Ant. I've seen it at Sandia/Kirtland AFB. It was a one-off prototype. It was a successful program, but not "hightech" enough for the brass to fund mass production. They want "Leap-Ahead" programs that cost billions.