Sign in to follow this  
The_Cobra

What do you play Ofp with?

I Also Wanted To Add That I Just Got a ViewSonic VX924 19"LCD It Makes Flashpoint Look Awesome!!! yay.gif

Athlon T-bird 1,3 ghz

512 RAM

GeForce3 Ti200

...and with several hardware damage to the main HD, a heavy payload of coffe on the circuits, an extra 5 fans to set the temp down to an acceptible firehazard level. Several fist blows around the 3,5" intake (uppercuts mainly) and an occasional headbutt in the keyboard. A hate/hate relationship. smile_o.gif

InSaNE ofp beast.....built this computer mainly to play ofp @ decent settings biggrin_o.gif

3.2c @ 4.12ghz

Abit ic7 MAX3 motherboard

4x 512mb of Geil ddr533

x800 XT 256mb

2x 36gb 10,000rpm Western Digital Raptor HDD's in Raid-0 with Win2k3 & games installed on. biggrin_o.gif

2x 200gb Sata Seagates in Raid 0 for storage

Audigy 2 Platnium > 5.1 Warfdale surround speakers

550w enermax p/s

watercooled cpu & northbridge

x800 XT has giant 3rd party heatsink & fan

play on 19" flat Philips@ 1600x1200 with 6x antialising & 16x anistropic. with ECP on ultra high on all settings, can still flow 40-50fps @ full view distance tounge2.gif

Guest The Cobra

Dayum... wink_o.gif

Wow insanesniper - pretty future proof for a while i'd of thought.

( 6 months anyway! tounge2.gif )

So just what Benchmark result do you get with that rig? (under flashpoint preferences)

Guest The Cobra
Ah man with too much money rofl.gif

Indeed  smile_o.gif

<s>hey check my post count, turn and twist is and we have an equation tounge2.gif</s>

Guest The Cobra

Well, I'm planning on saving up for a computer arriving this christmas (very good since Armed Assault shall be released then  crazy_o.gif )

So, I've been putting up some examples for myself, 1 P4 S478, 1 P4 S775 and 1 Athlon. Though it is at the Athlon I can't decide.

Should I choose a S754 (newcastle athlon) or a S939 (venice athlon)?

Help me out here  sad_o.gif

Will 1GB really help me?

I ask this because I'm getting back to OFP after about 1 year and I'm reading a lot of people saying that 1GB finnaly reduced lag on their systems. One of the reasons I stopped was because I got frustated with the engine's lack of improvement.

Between 2003/2004 I upgraded from a Duron900, Radeon 7200 32mbSDR, 256mb 133SDR ram; to a an AtlhonXP2400, GF4200ti 64mbDDR, and 512mbddr266DDR. Every game I had got huge performance increases. Games that I had to play at 800x600 even 640x480, low details and viewdistance (where apliable) now I could play at 1024x768, max details etc.. and still get much better frame rates. Generally speaking, if other games got 80%-120% improvewment (I'd say some games got 200% improvement), OFP got maybe 30%.

For example, I thought I'd be able to play Battlefields at 2000m viewdistance, medium terrain, max object detail and max framerate (20-40). But it turns out even at 900m viewdistance and low terrain, the fps is still under 20, and when the firefight begins it drops around 15 and under. I'm not bashing OFP's engine, I'm only stating fact as it happens in my computer. The FPS is from DXDLL, NO reflections or P-P.

Addons missions that lagged on my older system still lag on this computer. BAS's Bait and switch, Winters' We stand alone together and City of the dead. Even at 900m, these are just 3 missions that come to memory, there are many others.

Even the classic Ambush, the demo mission that I played on a friends P3 500mhz and a Voodoo3, I thought I'd be able to play at 2000m in my machine... But when in attacking the houses above Houdan, and going down the hill, fps still drops to 20 and under. Its unbeliavable, because it's a 'pure' mission and not that many units...

I know that some missions aren't made for greater viewdistance. Enemy tanks will shoot from far away, etc. That's not the point. It' the mediocre performance improvement of OFP. I'm just stating fact, not bashing. I think OFP is the greatest game created, togheter with Civ and other personal top 10.   inlove.gif

My scepticicsm for the 1GB thing is because the HD doesn't seem to be working too much, at least the control light doesn't seem to be blinking. Yes, when it calls the HD there's an HUGE LAG. For example, when driving around EMPTY Nogova with a fast car at 2000m, fps is always a mediocre around 20fps. The only place higher than this is in the desert. Just like my older system (Performance improvement=0). Then I drive by one of the small towns and there's this huge disk access. If I'm on a curve, I'll probably crash into a house, FPS drops to around 10. But most of the time, without disk access, It's the same around 20 fps, no matter what Island and mission (unless it's desert island). So, the only thing 1GB would help me would be stopping the HD lag, but 'normal' fps would still be mediocre 20fps and under.

Also, most of the people who say 1GB solved lag are people with 3GHZ+ and DX9 Graphic cards. I'd like to know if people with systems closer to mine also got benefits.

SYstem:

ASUS A7V600-X

Athlon XP2400 (2ghz) thoroughbred

512mb 266 Kingston Value RAM

ASUS GF4200ti 64mb AGP8x (Omega's Drivers 43.45)

Sound Blaster Live Value 5.1

20MB Maxtor 5400rpm 2mb Cache

WIN98SE

Old Toshiba DVD

3-1/2 floppy drive

Lite On CDRW 50x36x50

OFP beta 1.96

I know that WIN98 'eats' memory'. Instead of 512 I only always have 384 max free memory. But it doesn't seem to be a problem to other games.

I also know that OFP doesn't care much for Graphic Cards. But going from a Duron 900 (100mhzFSB, 64kb cache) to XP 2400 (2ghz, 266fsb, 256kb cache) and from 256mb sdr ram to 512 ddr ram... and get almost no improvement... this game is crazy! crazy_o.gif

Any feedback is aprecciated. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.  banghead.gif

Guest The Cobra
Will 1GB really help me?

YES!!!! wink_o.gif

The more ram the more your computer can hande, like with only 256 MB ram, you cant have much running at the same time as OFP to slow it down, but with 1 GB ram you can have more going...

See it like this, the more ram you have, the more you can do at the same time.

smile_o.gif

...20MB Maxtor 5400rpm 2mb Cache...

Gotta be 20 GB right..?

Or else; Get a new one.

Ahh, only 5400RPM too...

wink_o.gif

@The Cobra

Ergh! Errare humanum est.  tounge2.gif

20GB, yes.  yay.gif

@tankieboy

I guess I'm very lucky. Do you have 1GB?  whistle.gif

Guest The Cobra
@The Cobra

Ergh! Errare humanum est.  tounge2.gif

Huh?

Sorry, I don't speak latin wink_o.gif

BTW; I don't think that OFP can get out max performance on  any computer, even with very highend hardware. It's not really using what it could use.

It should be like this in Armed Assault, meaning; that if you have a very strong computer you can have high settings to make it look nice...

Don't know why this doesn't work with OFP that well... The engine.

Ah, well anyways, I didn't get any answer for my question;

An Athlon 754 or and Athlon 939?

smile_o.gif

Yeah, I've read that AA will have a better engine. The X-box has only an equivalent to a P3 733Mhz or something like this, and 64mb of unified memory. Which means that they had to rework the engine to take better advantadge of the X-box's GF, which I heard is somewhere between a GF3 and GF4ti.

Hopefully this means that even an older card like my GF4200 will make a great difference now.

I'll buy AA, surely, but it would be great if BIS made a final perfomance patch for OFP classic.

It would be great if BIS made a final perfomance patch for OFP classic.

Gets my vote.

confused_o.gif

Guest The Cobra

OK, to this christmas I'm gonna give myself a little present, a computer. I just wanna hear what you think about it (I really need to suit up to Armed Assault wink_o.gif)

Intel Celeron s370 1,2GHZ

20GB harddrive

GF2 MX440

384MB memory

TO:

AMD Athlon 3200+ 2GHZ (Venice)

Maxtor 80GB IDE Diamondmax Plus9-Fdb (7200RPM) (8MB Cache)

512MB PC3200 memory

Sapphire Radeon 9600 256MB

Though it gonna take a while to save up for it and then on the winter I'm gonna have to shuffle som snow (AKA work at my moms job tounge2.gif) I think it's a good computer.

What do you think?

Cobra I just bought an Athlon64 3000+ S939 and it runs great.

Full system specs:

Processor

Model : AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 Processor 3000+

Speed : 1.84GHz

Model Number : 3000 (estimated)

Performance Rating : PR2759 (estimated)

Type : Standard

L2 On-board Cache : 512kB ECC Synchronous, Write-Back, 16-way set, 64 byte line size

Mainboard

Bus(es) : ISA AGP PCI PCIe IMB USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus

MP Support : 1 CPU(s)

MP APIC : Yes

System BIOS : Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG

Mainboard : http://www.abit.com.tw/ AX8 Series(VIA K8T890-8237)

Total Memory : 1023MB DDR-SDRAM

Chipset 1

Model : Abit Computer Corp K8T890 CPU to PCI Bridge

Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 1020MHz (2040MHz data rate)

Chipset 2

Model : Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Athlon 64 / Opteron HyperTransport Technology Configuration

Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 1020MHz (2040MHz data rate)

Total Memory : 1GB DDR-SDRAM

Memory Bus Speed : 2x 204MHz (408MHz data rate)

Video System

Monitor/Panel : Plug and Play Monitor

Adapter : RX700 PRO-256PCIE

Adapter : RX700 PRO-256PCIE Secondary

Physical Storage Devices

Hard Disk : Maxtor 6Y080L0 (76GB)

CD-ROM/DVD : LITE-ON CD-RW SOHR-5238S (CD 52X Rd, 52X Wr)

CD-ROM/DVD : PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-116 (CD 40X Rd) (DVD 5X Rd)

CD-ROM/DVD : Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device (CD 32X Rd) (DVD 4X Rd) (Fake Drive)

Logical Storage Devices

Hard Disk (C:) : 10GB (2.6GB, 25% Free Space) (NTFS)

Hard Disk (D:) : 66GB (4.4GB, 7% Free Space) (FAT32)

Peripherals

Serial/Parallel Port(s) : 1 COM / 1 LPT

USB Controller/Hub : VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

USB Controller/Hub : VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller

USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub

FireWire/1394 Controller/Hub : VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

Keyboard : Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

Mouse : PS/2 Compatible Mouse

MultiMedia Device(s)

Device : Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA ® Audio Controller

Operating System(s)

Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Professional (Win32 x86) 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 1)

Network Services

Adapter : IC Plus IP1000 Family Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

This is straight from SiS Sandra.

Two nights ago I had a CTI match with my squad

(USMC) and I didn't experience any lag due to the computer, mostly desync caused by internet connection. I'm very pleased with it. yay.gif

All that stuff is about 700$ (1400 KM in my local valute) and its all packed into Chenbro Gaming Bomb Case.

Guest The Cobra

Nice comp

After my computer is built I can add some RAM, but right now I'm on a tight budget..

smile_o.gif

BTW; My processor hace 640KB cache... Hmm... It's a venice, but is that a difference?

Dunno, this is what I got with my venice (939).

Maybe the product seller is trying to fool you? tounge2.gif

Guest The Cobra
Dunno, this is what I got with my venice (939).

Maybe the product seller is trying to fool you?  tounge2.gif

Yeah, something is up... wink_o.gif

SONY Vaio VGN-A397XP

Intel Pentium M 760 @2Ghz

512mb RAM

80GB HD SATA

17" LCD (WUXGA)

ATI Mobility X600 128MB PCI-X

Dublelayer DVD (Plus minus tounge2.gif) RW

Have OFP in resoulution 1920-1200 with 2500m view dist.

10 squads/side=NO LAG!!!

nener.gif

Intel Pentium M 760 @2Ghz

nener.gif

I'm tempted to buy a Pentium M as it has the best CPU grunt around for Operation Flashpoint and is a brilliant performer all round, an excellent, quiet CPU that can be thermally cooled if need be. Now, do i purchase one or not. crazy_o.gif

Also, regarding AGP Aperture settings, my Aperture is set to 128MB and X8 on my GeForce 6600GT 128MB but i was reading on page ten about the supposed speed increased if i lower the Aperture to X4. I know in real world games it doesn't make a huge margin of difference but i'm thinking about trying to squeeze as much power out of my system as possible. My specifications are also on page 10. smile_o.gif