Sign in to follow this  
philcommando

SkyDiving Addon

Needed some advance HALO skydiving option for a mission, so had to create something of my own, and to share it for those who want it:-

3 stage skydiver - 1) Freefall glide to objective

f292yw.jpg

2) Paraglide closer to objective

f305qg.jpg

3) The eagle has landed!

f313ko.jpg

Download 148kb

PCparachute

Happy New year! tounge_o.gif

This addon uses the standard BIS soldier unit as the paratrooper. However you can use other soldier unit to put on the parachute. Its found under West air class - PC Halo Parachute.

Once u click on the unit, you must set it to 'flying' and setpos it up high - more than 500 preferably to see the Halo effect.

This addon is configured not to open the chute at whatever height until 300metres where it will automatically open the chute.

At 10m - it will automatically 'flare' the parachute - brake - just like the real thing and land u safely, - please dont attempt to slow it down on your own, after which the parachute will err...automatically bury itself into the ground!

Everything is on auto-mode for your convenience - you only need to glide yourself close to the objective.

Attached is a demo mission to show how u can exit from an air craft at 1000m height and zoom off with an Empty class parachute with a trigger using another unit

Bugs:- some island spots seem to have holes and the parachute cant read the height will suspend it midair.

Ai can NEVER land safely with this parachute. Hope some scripter can help to make the paradiving experience more 'team' real.

Real Halo starts at 21,000ft with proper equipment, but in ofp at that height u wont see anything and would take a long time to drift down, so i didnt plan any new model for it. However if u wish to have your own model, just go to the config and and change the unit to your own. Have fun!

Just tested it and its great!

Tip: if your main chute fails (like mine did once due to a slight bug i think.. got stuck midair for some reason) just choose eject from action menu and voilá you got yourself a backup chute. Cool as hell biggrin_o.giftounge_o.gif

Great addon Phil,

Just a wee small question..what soldier/agent addon is that?

I totally forgot the name...

Keep up the good work !

Hey Phil, you should get together with Andy Lee over at the Roc3 mod.  In the ROC 3 mod they have a fantastic working HALO system that the AI use perfectly.  The only thing it doesn't have is a steerable parachute.  Maybe you can help him make his system steerable.  Also if you cammo'ed his units to US cammo patterns you'd have a much more realistic HALO unit. His even have proxies for the oxygen mask and parachute that disappear once you hit the ground so that you're not going into combat with a huge parachute pack and an oxygen mask attached to your face.  smile_o.gif   I actually made a very good HALO mission for the ROC3 mod here if you want to see their system in action:

http://www.idfsquad.com/downloads/milesteg/ROC3_HALO_Assault_matsu.rar

It just requires the ROC3 mod to work.  You can download it at:

http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?showthis=6392

ROCV37.jpg

ROC3HALO3.jpg

ROC3HALO4.jpg

If you improved Andy Lee's HALO system to where you could steer the chute we'd have a perfect HALO system!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Glad some of you enjoyed it. Would be looking to upgrade it whenever possible or anyone wanna have a go improving it. The man in the pic is PCspy, released with my civilian action pack months ago, to test this addon using other unofficial addons and it works.  wink_o.gif

Thanks Miles, it was the ROC mod pic that inspired me to make a real freefall system in ofp1. Didnt use his pack as it was too huge for my comp to handle. My addon also have its parachute removed once on the ground. I guess he can use my scripts to make it steerable. I kept the script simple and i am sure he can improve further on it. I made this addon simple too so that it is easy to modify, add your own fave soldier unit to freefall either thru the config or like my demo mission using a trigger and empty class parachute. smile_o.gif

AI problem:- i suspect he used the BIS parachute config and being unsteerable, AI parachuting is idiotproof..hehehe...but sigh...making AI steerable is gonna lose a few more hairs on my head using something different from BIS config... sad_o.gif

21vbGlider was a steerable chute which worked pretty good

Released nearly 2 years ago now

just saw a documentary on HALO jump school in Arizona. An interesting training program they have. But unforgiving as well, one of the instructors died on a night jump when he made a hard landing and broke his neck.

Sky diving is a thrilling sport - the hours spent to prepare for that 30 secs ride is worth it - for once u fly free of all bounds of land.

Military free-falling is even more challenging - with that heavy pack on and feel the air and ground rushing up to your face gliding to the target unnoticed at dawn....

Attached in the civilian action pack addon released is Halo jumper u can use for this addon...

f329iv.jpg

f338jt.jpg

Csj: there will always be other addons but do remember no one holds any exclusive on a type, not even the great BAS. No point making an addon that works limited and while ofp1 progresses, no one improves upon it...we are the only ones to lose if that atittude is adopted. Much respect to the previous makers and the foundations they have laid. Loyalty is fine, but nothing should stand in the way of progress. Its freedom of choice here.  wink_o.gif

Edit:- nothing is copied here as in all my addons. Its an original addon, even the scripts are my own, but thanks to the help postings by scripters on the forum, i managed to pierce it all together on my own. smile_o.gif

Sorry if you misunderstood, my comment was

@Miles Teg

Quote[/b] ]The only thing it doesn't have is a steerable parachute.

Meaning, yes it can be done and yes it could be improved on. (As with all we do)

So these chutes just disappear like the original OFP ones? Damn. But FDF mod has ones that stay in the ground and you can pack em for re-use tounge_o.gif

Well, i'll test these anyway.

Sky diver version1.2

--------------------

Problem solved! Now AI can join u on a dive and land safely!

Download:-

PCparachutev2  - 118kb

This will overwrite the first version. Found on West - Air - PC Halo Parachute.        Still no East side ...yet( so many kinda spetnaz there! wow_o.gif

f342ul.jpg

Edit:- Should u wanna use this parachute during this mission as some other unit/soldier who is either pilot or cargo of a plane, the method is:-

1. Name your soldier eg:- man1

2. Name the craft he is in eg:- craft1

2. Place a trigger on the map, activated by your choice,eg-radio

3. Place this line on the ativation code:-

man1 action ["Getout", craft1]; unassignVehicle man1;

para1="PCparachute3" camcreate getpos man1; man1 moveindriver para1; [para1] exec "\PCparachute\scripts\Aifreefall.sqs"

What this code does is make the pilot get out of the plane and unassign himself from the plane so that it wont follow him around, takes a parachute from the craft, straps himself into it and then the parachute activates itself as manufactured. tounge_o.gif  

Need not place any script in your mission to work as long as u have PCparachute.pbo in your addon folder.

Works for any BIS standard soldiers, one or a team, not sure about unofficial ones if they have an eventhandler at their config.

Although i could make the parachute glide over the entire map but in real life, the parachute has no engine and the law of gravity will force the parachute down. It only glides because it slows down the force of gravity and the speed of descent cause by your weight and the use of wind to trap and propel you to your destination as u desire - which i found ofp works pretty realistically.

Phil, can you post the file somewhere else? :x

The download already expired... says it expires after 7 days or 25 downloads. sad_o.gif

just saw a documentary on HALO jump school in Arizona. An interesting training program they have. But unforgiving as well, one of the instructors died on a night jump when he made a hard landing and broke his neck.

I've seen that. It was sad yet so interesting.

i'm surprise there's still interest in this addon. If u still want it, just head over to ofp cz, they are a great objective supporter of addon makers and the community, my addon is still there. Have fun smile_o.gif

Phil can you submit an updated version ot OFP.info? That would be very cool if you could. That way if people want to use this updated version in a mission, they can put a link to the download on the mission readme file. If not and they try to make a mission with AI jumpers, I'm assuming that it won't work with the old version on ofp.info. In other words, other players won't be able to play the mission unless they were fortunate enough to download this update before the 7 day dl limit expired.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

With the 7days limit, there is a 25 number of download limit too if my memory does not betray me.

So it should be better to point out this url to someone that can host this addon (like OFP.info) before making this url public , as there is a chance the 25 downloads available can be quickly made.

Could this be made integral to an addon?

i.e. they'd always have the halo option if they jumped out of an aircraft or were setposd high enough?

great stuff philcommando smile_o.gif

a small bug: this creates an extra Air\A10 in editor units...

also, is there any way to make this unit invisible to IR scan from vehicles with radar? because when falling i got t80's looking at me crazy_o.gif