Sign in to follow this  
Triglav

US Civil War Mod ver.1.0 Beta Released

Well...that may be a bit harsh...

But...the way I see this. In this community there are about 3 sorts of people.

1. Those that know how to do stuff, who are doing stuff, and who help with actual solutions in configs, texturing, modelling, etc...

2. Those who are just using the stuff, playing with it, having wishes or requests, because they don't have time/will/interest to make it themselves... Nothing wrong there. Not everyone has to be a an addon maker.

3. And then there are annoying people. Those that don't read old posts on same topic. Those that don't read readmes. Those that email me about how they downloaded the mod, but it doesn't work, because there was no mod file, only one rar file which they put in the res/addons and now it doesn't work. Duh!!! Etc, etc...you know what I mean.

And after a while I get frustrated with this.

We're not sorry for the time we put into this mod. We did it for ourselves, cause it was fun, for the users, so they can have fun, and for the community, so that similar stuff can be made on this basis. A lot of people have a lot of knowledge and good ideas, but very few have the willpower to finish a project. Dozens of mods get anounced and only a handful get completed.

But please understand one can get a bit annoyed for instance if he put loads of research into a mod like this, to make the muskets as they were, to give them the role they had in the war, and then one gets "Yeah, muskets are cool, but when will Gatling be released..." Hell it would save so much time, to make a mod, call it "The complete Civil War" and only release a Gatling in there, and everyone is happy...

Anyone noticed how many Tiger tanks have been made by various mods? Though Panzers III and IV did a lot more work for that army...? Someone puts a lot of love into making a detailed Panzer I, and immediately gets asked "Yeah, but when will you make a Tiger?"

I'd never dare to ask FDF guys or I44 guys when they're gonna make this or that addon. They have a concept, I know almost nothng about it, except for what eventually comes out, but I would go asking them when this tank or that machine gun will be out, and how they should do it?

Think of it this way... Before we made the Civil War mod, there was none. There were attempts, but no releases. So, availability to the public had a value of 0. Now it has a value of 1. Meaning, when there was nothing to bitch about noone bitched, when there is something, they do. And that is exactly why I always keep saying. If we, a bunch of total amateurs could get this done, anyone can. You want a henry/winchester rifle? Make it. Want cowboys and indians? Make them. We will gladly share our models, current know-how, configs, etc, like other addon makers kindly let us use their work. But did they make stuff for us? No. That we had to do ourselves. If you want it, make it. That's how the game goes.

I have not yet been informed of any modder getting stocked with beer, women or money. As long as that is so, it's only everyon'es good will that makes this whole wheel turn.

Now that was a long and troubled write. Maybe we're spending to much time working on this stuff and are slowly starting to lose our minds...

I need to go relax with some beer and women immediately!  blues.gif

Lol yeah triglav, dont push yourself too hard man, we all love you and dont want to drive you crazy, just as long as you dont give up, im cool with you (Maybe its vice versa)

Triglav, that was the most eloquent post of it's kind I've ever seen.

Count me among those who haven't made anything for your mod, but have played with it and am amazed by it. You guys have done an amazing amount of work in a relatively short time, and as far as I'm concerned it's been A-class quality. And it doesn't look like that rest you said you'd do after the first release has happened! You're working right along on even more units, some of which are the result of requests.

You guys deserve nothing but credit and praise. I stand by my earlier statement that yours is the best mod, certainly the most unique, the most groundbreaking. Single-shot muskets with BIG puffs of smoke. Taking the bayonet script of the UKF mod and putting it to good use... It's class work, mate, and you deserve that beer! I might have to figure out how to ship you some! Can't ship a woman, though... sad_o.gif

hey you guys are doing a great job! , dont let these

guys get too you! you will see this shit in every game

and every mod around. It will never change!

as for the rest, the girls are on their way with the beer.....

they have to stop at my place first.

biggrin_o.gif

bigus

i must apologize, i am guilty of that, i have no excuses, im sorry. yall did great, and you will continue to push the limits of OFP. congrats all around and ill see if i can ship some apple juice for ya smile_o.gif

Josh

Great job on Your Mod, keep up your work, and don't let any other mods destroy you.

i must apologize, i am guilty of that, i have no excuses, im sorry. yall did great, and you will continue to push the limits of OFP. congrats all around and ill see if i can ship some apple juice for ya smile_o.gif

Josh

i think that there are no ofp limits when we still have great mods and people who deal with mods. biggrin_o.gif

I must apologize too. I'm just so crazy about this mod and how revolutionary it is. I guess i'm 2Ë in Triglav's 3 kinds of people.

I'm sorry, you have done a great job!

Hello,

I've found something quite nice : by using a script ("A soldier sitting on a moving tank" by RedHouse, which you can found on ofpec), and slightly modifying it (just suppress a few lines where soldiers play a "sit" animation), you can : put soldiers standing on the ox cart and shooting...sometimes (only sometimes duno why), or even tow a canon with PC horses ! Of course your model of canon got a "caisson" (don't know how to say that in english, cause I'm a frog tounge_o.gif ), which could be (I think its not too hard with o2, maybe I'll try but I'm a very beginner) replaced behind the canon. Of course the wheels don't turn, but its fun anyway.

I didn't try to tow a wagon, but why not ?

Great job again (the "zouaves" are unbelievable...and so frenchies !)

EDIT : it works with the wagon (wheels not turning but it's cool !)

Good news ProfT.

We'll look into it for later releases if we can implement cannon towing...

I think about 99% is done.

We're really just checking for details now, making sure we did all that was planned for this release, writing the readme noone will read, etc...

so How is it going?? unclesam.gif

There could be an already written readme available to download like only fill the emty boxes. biggrin_o.gif

At least i don't read readmes ,i only only read them when downloading a script. biggrin_o.gif

There could be an already written readme available to download like only fill the emty boxes. biggrin_o.gif

At least i don't read readmes ,i only only read them when downloading a script. biggrin_o.gif

a readme is very often more than usefull, especially for hidden features or solutions for problems that might occur.

and of course to use all the scripts that come with it

Of course your model of canon got a "caisson" (don't know how to say that in english, cause I'm a frog tounge_o.gif ),

The English word is "caisson", actually! wink_o.gif

We do use your word for that... And a few other things...

a readme is very often more than usefull, especially for hidden features or solutions for problems that might occur.

and of course to use all the scripts that come with it

Yepster, and that keeps the modmakers happy as then less people will come into the forums and ask stuff already answered in the readme.

I'd say early next week is a good estimate for the release...

Hello, realy do like your mod a lot ive been playing for awhile. But when I went to your forum I saw that there were 33 pages of posts, So I decided to sceam through some and found people making missions. Can somebody pleas point out all the mission that people have made for this mod.

Quote[/b] ]Hello, realy do like your mod a lot ive been playing for awhile. But when I went to your forum I saw that there were 33 pages of posts, So I decided to sceam through some and found people making missions. Can somebody pleas point out all the mission that people have made for this mod.

This mod has been out got about 5 weeks now. There have been about 3 missions released. Such a pathetic number. I think its the communities duty to contribute mission as we contribute the mod to do so. I try to make missions, but they suck.

Miles Teg had made a single player mission which was pretty good.

I thnk Dynamite Cow released a missions

and Miniroll released an awesome multiplayer mission (which can be played in single player)

Yes I have played those I found all I need. But I do agree with you that not a lot of peopel make missions.

But here is a suggestin to the mod. When the next patch come out would it be possible to make a Invisible line vehicle, So whare you can put Ai in and then they are in a perfect line and when the Gunner fire it will shoot every bodys gun in the line Vehicle (but not all at once).

That was a good idea, man! I think it could be so that the gunner is the sarge of that group and the rest in the line would be "in cargo." So if you shoot a man in the line, well, he doesn't exsist anymore.

At least it would make cool looking cutscenes.

I realeased a mission but none bothed to download in 30 days so noone else gets to download becuase there where was 1 good reply wink_o.gif

How can I take screen shots for ofp because I have a very perfect line battle to show every body.

Hello,

I've tried to make soldiers attacking you with a sword and it works !!!! biggrin_o.gif

The soldiers use the same scripts as the bayonet script (without the fix and remove bayonet scripts), and they attack you the same way ! Moreover I put the modified script in my sword.pbo, and as there is no "fix sword" order, there is nothing to put in the init line of units.

I've used the "katana" sword of the samuraÄ released a few times ago (which isn't very good but it was a try), and the cw union infantry officer, and this guy shoots at me with his colt and then, when close to me enough, chooses his sword and killed me. That was nice !

As the sword is the same weapon class as a riffle, soldiers with riffles cannot use it (cause they can't have two riffles), and when soldiers "put the riffle on their back", it looks quite strange (is it possible to "hide" the sword when they do that ?).

I think I remember that you've got a sword somewhere in the cw team ? If so, could you send it to me ?