Sign in to follow this  
mithrandir

Maybe you already know this....

Quote: from http://www.opflashpoint.org/

Had a quick email chat with Simon from Codemasters today, chasing some more info on the reported upcoming expansion pack. He did confirm that it is not heresay and there's an expansion pack on it's way.

Another tidbit he mentioned : There's an alleged 'limited' SDK coming too, but I've not seen any firm plans. I'll let you know when I do. That was all the info he could provide, but could be the knight in shining armour for alot of mods out there waiting for the tools needed to further the Operation Flashpoint product.

end qoute!

hey thanks mirthrandir, i DIDN'T know that, but a i do now smile.gif

LOL a Codemasters employee tells you that an SDK is on the way and we're supposed to believe this after BIS employees have said time and time again that there is nothing like an SDK smile.gif

Anyone else find this somewhat hard to stomach?

Simon Reid is the Online Project Manager for Codemasters, so I would expect him to have some knowledge of the company's plans for OFP.

I would be more likely to believe Bis myselfs, what have they got to gain by lying and saying there is no SDK and probably never will be?

Cant BIS state a comment about this SIMON...announcment!

Which movie

Simon Says,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I think so as well.. besides, if we have those tools we can do very much besides changing game functionalities or behaviours..

gr.> arjen

Some guy from BIS have said they are going to "slowly" relase an "SDK" feature. It was said in an interview.

It's not going to be like some massive SDK with the ability to create evrything. Instead, just a few seperate programs - which are said to come with little documentation or support.

They didn't say they were going to make an SDK. They said they were going to release some tools to import models and that kind of stuff.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Damage Inc @ Jan. 12 2002,10:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They didn't say they were going to make an SDK. They said they were going to release some tools to import models and that kind of stuff.<span id='postcolor'>

yes.....thats what i meant. confused.gif

the best thing would probably be a plugin for gmax (it's free, and sufficient for modelling I think)

A mail i got 3 days ago:

Hi Michael,

I'm afraid this decision lies solely with Bohemia. I personally and many others understand the need for an SDK, however BIS are very protective of their game code (as no other game has 'quite' replicated theirs yet) and are wary of what they release.

I can point out though that there are however steps being taken to rectify this in the coming months. I can't say exactly how much code will be released to the public, but it is being worked on.

I hope this is news to your liking.

Cheers

Simon Reid

Project Manager

Codemasters Software Ltd

tel : 01926 814132 ext 879

mail : simonr@codemasters.com

web : http://www.codemasters.com

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 20 December 2001 11:17

To: simonr@codemasters.com

Subject: Operation Flashpoints - Tools

Hello Simon

I would like to say that Operation Flashpoint is a brilliant game and have really hooked me at the computer a numerious nights now. Both singleplayer and multiplayer.

After the patches we have gotten, the mp aspect of the game has also improved alot.

But theres a few things I dont get....

I understand why you dont release the SDK, due to cheaters, hackers etc.

But what about tools like importing models into the game? Just release it to serious mod-developers like invasion 1944 (Im sure you know what that is). They show great interest in the game, and i think it would be sad if they would close down due to lack of tools.

You are supporting the game in every aspect, except this one, which is sad.

What concerns me, is the result of the lacking interest of supporting the mod-community. We have allrdy seen the beginning. Soundpacks, who screw up my game (no explotions at all). And the recent new way to import models into the game. This isnt the problem. But as time goes on, new people will try to "hack" the game because thers a tool missing. If we had a tool, noone would take their time and try to hack it.

A few months back you guys promised to release tools "soon within a few weeks". I still dont see it.

I hope you will responf to me with a message, not just an autoreply or something.

Cheers

Cheers

Michael V. Nielsen

Michael@dyrk.dk

http://www.dyrk.dk

Note that dad e-mail from me was written 20. December smile.gif

All of this and Simon Reid's assesment of SDK/tools availablity is based on a January 3rd interview between OFP.DE and Viktor Bocan, BIS' chief designer.

Details of the interview can also be found by searching The FAQ for "SDK".

theavonlady, could you add to your FAQ that an SDK has nothing to do with editing models in OFP? This seems to be confusing many people, as people think that SDK = modeling tools, which is not true. So when BIS/CM has said that an SDK will not be released, as such doesnt exist, people think that modeling tools will not be released. But they will be, as they have already promised.

Almost didn't click on this thread. Curioisity killed me.

Kegetys, have you seen The FAQ's updated item on "SDK"? Does the quote from the latest interview there with BIS' Viktor Bocan suffice?