Sign in to follow this  
Hit_Sqd_Maximus

Why do vehicles bounce in some mods?

I have noticed with mods like Y2K and EECP models bounce around in MP. Does anyone know what causes this and how to fix it?

i think its a OFP bug. as some of my HMMWV's do that in MP to smile_o.gif

Question is best asked in the thread of one of the addons you have the problem with.

Opening to see if there are any actual useful replies wink_o.gif

Perhaps of the different size of the added/original model (like CBT HUMMWV/BIS_HUMMWV)?

i have figured out why... but not how (to fix).

Why: the other night i tested Y2K3 on an empty server to test the ability of using the "new stuff" on a 'default addon' server to find what problemsi may encounter...

Mission a PV3S Civil drives down the road... on my screen the thing is literaly 3 feet into the ground...

on the server side it is driving a PV3S-POS truck... on my side its using the Zil-130 (?) truck... which compared to the pv3s-pos is a monster truck.

based on the genter of gravity (center of mass in the model) the game is putting "my truck" at the same place as the standard one.

when the driver got out.. the truck "leaped" into the air, and until i entered the vehicle it continued to bounce.

what it was trying to do was the servers truck... and my truck's center of mass was being loaded at the same time, and until i entered it, overriding the server's, it continued to try and figure out which one should be loaded.

the only way to solve this (in my case) is to have the server and client run the Y2K3.

sniper skull's humvee's do that in MP "sometimes" most likly due to someone, somewhere, is using the orginal release which had some collision detection issues... and the new one with the proper CD areas modded in were clashing with those that have none. meaning... the client can drive his humve halfway thru a house.. and the server using the newer one is goin "wait a minute that cant happen" and the client side is goin "yes it can the model here says it can" and that "bouncing" effect, in simple terms, is the server and cleint computer fighting which model is the "correct" one

If a model has it's geometry lod breaking through the ground level (look at any model in O2) then when your near the object your screen will also start shaking. Why this is, I dont know, but it's vital that the geo lod is slightly smaller then the resolution lod's.

The key point here is in Multi Player.

As the netcode for OFP isnt the greatest there is, and especially if you have any lag or desync, vehicles will bounce around. This is because the vehicle netcode doesnt update fast enough (it would not be possible, since the sheer amount of data to be sent would choke even the fastest connections) to prevent clipping issues. This is then accentuated by addons which have geometry for their wheels, as this makes the unit bounce/shake even more.

Pappy - you are almost correct in what you are saying, but quite often this problem is caused by the slow update times form server to client. Meaning the local actions on the clients PC have already happened, whereas the server is trying to catch up. This means that vehicles can "magically" jump several meters as the server tries desperately to update its position. This is ofcourse made worse by models with poor geometry, and the Hummers are a prime example of that.

Unfortunately, as it is game-code related, there is nothing we can do about it, other than to ensure that any addons made have "perfect" geometry.

Vehicle shaking happens also offline.

It's very heavy, when frames are low.

I read something about:

"Remove the wheels from the Geo-Lod."

..to fix it.

MfG Lee