Sign in to follow this  
BoweryBaker

Whats the military term for...

If he means numbers.

Than the numbers stand for I.D. purposes.

Everything in the U.S. Armed Forces are numbers.

Even military forms are I.D.'ed.. as numbers.

Sincerely, MilitiaSniper

"OFF the WALL Team"

unclesam.gifunclesam.gifunclesam.gif

He's asking about the irregularity wink_o.gif

Exactly, anyone have an answer for this?

I know A's stand for 'advancement', and M's for 'military' (altough the U.S Army also uses the MK19 grenade launcher, hmm, I thought MK was some kind of Navy designation, but that's a whole new chapter).

Quote[/b] ]

btw:

M1A1 Abrams

M1A1 Thompson

tounge_o.gif

M1A1 carbine

M1A1 AA gun

Well I know that Mk. stands for Mark although in this case I don't think Mark is what it stands for...Hmmmm indeed!

Well I know that Mk. stands for Mark although in this case I don't think Mark is what it stands for...Hmmmm indeed!

Mark and military is not always a good combination nowadays:

BBC World News!

wink_o.gif

BBC World News!

wink_o.gif

Lol yeah blues.gif

But the Mark I was referring to is the one derived from the French term, Marque

BBC World News!

wink_o.gif

Lol yeah  blues.gif

But the Mark I was referring to is the one derived from the French term, Marque

I know - but isn't the term "mark" usually used in an unofficial way, like in products that are changed without these changes being reflected in the official designation? Sorry, but the only examples I can think of is the Jaguar 3.8 Mark II that officially was only known as 3.8, and the Austin Healey 3000 Mark III

Okay how many men is a platoon?  I'm doing this campaign mission where the russians were found guilty of atrocities and forced to pull all of their forces from the island but one platoon stayed to exact they're revenge on the FIA.  Now I need to know how many men I have to kill until they're all dead or captured.

5-15 men per section(troop)

3-4 sections per Platoon (30 - 40 men)

3-4 platoons per company (120-160 men)

3-4 companies per regimen (battalion) (360-500 men)

3-4 regiments/battalions per brigade (1500 - 2000 men)

3-4 brigades per division (10,000 or so men)

(Brigade Group is larger than a brigade as is it completely self

contained)

3-4 divisions per corps (50,000 men) think of the Marine corps

3-4 corps per Army

3-4 Armys for Army group (Army Group is sometimes called a Force)

No, they're generic. I can give you more specific numbers if you're looking for a specific country.

What would be the military term for a rogue unit or a rogue platoon?  Like lets say everyone under Gubas command only followed Guba and Guba didn't follow Russia anymore so therefore he'd have his own army, what would be the term for a rogue unit?  Just rogue platoon if it were a platoon? Oh, and Hellfish we're talking Russia. I know Russia's broken up now but lets say the only Russia you can find. Plus the name for a rogue platoon.

What would be the military term for a rogue unit or a rogue platoon?  Like lets say everyone under Gubas command only followed Guba and Guba didn't follow Russia anymore so therefore he'd have his own army, what would be the term for a rogue unit?  Just rogue platoon if it were a platoon?  Oh, and Hellfish we're talking Russia.  I know Russia's broken up now but lets say the only Russia you can find.  Plus the name for a rogue platoon.

"Traitor!"

And you could look at it as.., "Loyal subjects!"

Sincerely,MilitiaSniper

"OFF the WALL Team"

unclesam.gifunclesam.gifunclesam.gifunclesam.gif

I believe the M stands for model.

As in Beretta M9 was from the XM9-contest (experimental model). Might be different between vehicles and weapons but I doubt it. A1 means "first version/variant". The old Colt 1911 is sometimes called M1911A1 because it was the first Colt 1911 that were made.

Personally I would have called it JAM1911 tounge_o.gif

During the Cold War, the Us started renaming equipment from scratch again. This covered mostly vehicles, and aircraft.

The first bomber after this change became the B1, then the B2.

Fighters also started from another low number. (They were up in the hundreds)

The Abrams became the M1, and the Bradley the M2.

This does not apply to all equipment howver, and mainly came into force for larger pieces of kit. (Ie Tanks and planes)

Captivity, internment, detention, bondage, confinement, custody, durance, limbo possibly (some relevant selections from dictionary.com).

Good luck with your MP campaign smile_o.gif .

Lol, Bandage

Cpt: What are you doing soldier with those civiliians?

Pvt: You told us to go and have bondage with them

LMAO

Okay how many men is a platoon?  I'm doing this campaign mission where the russians were found guilty of atrocities and forced to pull all of their forces from the island but one platoon stayed to exact they're revenge on the FIA.  Now I need to know how many men I have to kill until they're all dead or captured.

5-15 men per section(troop)

3-4 sections per Platoon (30 - 40 men)

3-4 platoons per company (120-160 men)

3-4 companies per regimen (battalion) (360-500 men)

3-4 regiments/battalions per brigade (1500 - 2000 men)

3-4 brigades per division (10,000 or so men)

(Brigade Group is larger than a brigade as is it completely self

contained)

3-4 divisions per corps  (50,000 men)   think of the Marine corps

3-4 corps per Army

3-4 Armys for Army group (Army Group is sometimes called a Force)

Also 4-6 men for a Fireteam.

I actually got this from an email from my father. I asked him how many men were generall in a platoon or unit, and he gave the full thing.

Depends what type of platoon your talking about. A British Army platoon AFAIK is 3 x 8 man rifle sections, a 3 man HQ section and a 5 man support section (= 32). However, the mechanised units use 7 man sections as only 7 can fit in the APC biggrin_o.gif

No idea about US or Russian army structure.

Thanks to Mav to telling this all patiently to me once upon a time  smile_o.gif

Edit: Actually, Soviet Airbourne platoons were 23 men, no idea on structure but 7 men per squad. Motorised Rifle were 29 men, in sections of 9. Again, no idea on structure.

Although looking at it, it seems 3 sections/squads + a 2 man command element would make sense....in a motorized platoon i guess this means they'd use 4 BMPs....one per section + the COs BMP....

*Ahem*

Depends what type of platoon your talking about. A British Army platoon AFAIK is 3 x 8 man rifle sections, a 3 man HQ section and a 5 man support section (= 32). However, the mechanised units use 7 man sections as only 7 can fit in the APC biggrin_o.gif

No idea about US or Russian army structure.

Thanks to Mav to telling this all patiently to me once upon a time  smile_o.gif

Edit: Actually, Soviet Airbourne platoons were 23 men, no idea on structure but 7 men per squad. Motorised Rifle were 29 men, in sections of 9. Again, no idea on structure.

Although looking at it, it seems 3 sections/squads + a 2 man command element would make sense....in a motorized platoon i guess this means they'd use 4 BMPs....one per section + the COs BMP....

*Ahem*

So?

I put the answer on a broader scale, as it might help for future reference.

That is, Pathy, if I should seek your council before I decide to post something similar to what someone else posted.

He asked specifically for Soviet platoon sizes, i supplied them, no need to be rude and sarcastic rock.gif

In some ways it's fascinating how normally mature, constructive, rational people can squabble about the simplest of things, in other ways it's really annoying so please refrain from doing it smile_o.gif

In some ways it's fascinating how normally mature, constructive, rational people can squabble about the simplest of things, in other ways it's really annoying so please refrain from doing it smile_o.gif

Placebo i am disgusted at you mad_o.gif

I mean, when was the last time i made a mature, constructive, rational comment? How dare you tar me with that brush!

Bah you dont pay enough attention wink_o.giftounge_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Pathy please do as you're told or I seriously come over to you and stick a boot right up to your brain sad_o.gif

wink_o.gif

Now back on topic and without the shenanigans smile_o.gif