Sign in to follow this  
brgnorway

Veteran leader Yasser Arafat dies

Quote[/b] ]The veteran Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat has died in a French hospital, nearly two weeks after being transferred from the West Bank.

The 75-year-old, who dominated Palestinian politics for 40 years, died at 0330 (0230GMT) on Thursday.

BBC article here

Allthough many people wont cry over his death I wish to offer my condolances to the palestinian people. The man led his people for nearly 40 years.

Rest in peace!

Hopefully the(is there one currently?) Palestinian PM will have some real power now. Atleast the one that Arafat kept from doing anything a little while ago seemed like he might have been fairly good. With that and some of the Israeli pull-outs from some disputed areas might do a lot to help bring real peace to that region.

The only things that worry me are if there will be terror attacks by Palestinian terror groups(I know, I know, its not like Israel killed Araft, but its not like these terrorist groups are exactly in touch with reality) in response to Arafat's death, and if another leader like Arafat will replace him.

Hopefull they Palestinians will get some real leadership, not just more of the same.

I'm sure this news is pretty much worth it's own thread...

Arafat is gone, and this thread will soon follow him.

Oh really? I seem to remember Superman got his own thread - and allthough Arafat hardly was a superman unless you consider his ability to stay alive from israeli assasination atempts, then I'd say this thread is worth a few words. It might not suit you, but I'm sure there are a few on this forum that agrees with me.

<span style='color:blue'>The death of a political or military figure does deserve it's own thread (Ronald Reagan got one), but will only stay open for a short period.

Any flaming or spamming with be dealt with as per normal.

Please keep your comments to the topic at hand - general comments on the Middle East should go in that thread.</span>

Now is Arafat really responsible for derailing the peace process? Please give some instances wherein he contributed to the escalating violence in the Middle East despite the ongoing Peace Process.

Arafat stonewalled the process because Hamas and co. interfered with the process threatening to to boot the PLO out of running the PA.

He got dragged into Oslo and gave his consent to what was offered there, but then turned around and went back on it when Fatah started breaking up and Hamas and the others outside tried to take over. He then spun it as Israeli double-talk and unfaithful negotiations, but most of the world called his bluff on it, and have been content to let Hamas and Al-Aqsa pick him apart.

The second problem this gave was it more solidly united the israeli population against him. With the Rabin and Barak administrations, more people were willing to consider some sort of negotiated withdrawal on mutually agreed terms. After the 2nd Intifada in 2000 however, those people have like the post 9-11 US security moms withdrawn that offer and supported Ariel "Arik the Bulldozer" Sharon, because to them he knows just what to give traitors.

Tom Friedman quoted a palestinian to the effect of "despite all his corruption and ineptitude, Arafat is the stone we throw at the Israelis". If that is the case, then Sharon is the Bulldozer that the Israeli people send in return to level the stone quarry.

It seems strange, but he reminded me of an old grandfather when he got off that Puma. And had that greyish hat on.

Although he was accused of many things, and wasn't the best leader, he does deserve respect.

The man could've been remembered not just as a resistance leader, but also a statesman. Unfortunately for him and palestinians, he wasn't much of a leader and threw it all away.

I think that in the end, history will only remember him as a terrorist.

Which world leaders (past and present) do you think will show up at the funeral tomorrow?

Which world leaders (past and present) do you think will show up at the funeral tomorrow?

oooooh biggrin_o.gif hot question! My guess: Blair, Chirac, Fischer...

Perhaps every Arab/muslim world leaders who are able to travel.

From EU/US hard to say. It might come down to the fact that all of them can't travel there, so attendance priority is on muslim heads of state probably.

But it's interesting will Mr.Allawi from Iraq himself show up or will he be sending a representative. It's understandable that domestic issues could be too pressing for him to attend in person...

Here's my guess list for the Cairo road show:

Algeria: President Abdelaziz Bouteflika

Brazil: President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva

Egypt: President Hosni Mubarak

European Union: Foreign policy chief Javier Solana.

France: Foreign Minister Michel Barnier

Germany: Foreign Minister Joschka Fischer

Hungary: Foreign Minister Ferenc Somogyi.

Iran: Foreign Minister Kamal Kharrazi

Jordan: King Abdullah

Malaysia: Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi

Pakistan: Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz

Portugal: Foreign Minister Antonio Monteiro

South Africa: President Thabo Mbeki

Spain: Foreign Minister Miguel Angel Moratinos

United Kingdom: Foreign Secretary Jack Straw

Yemen: President Ali Abdullah Saleh

OK! OK! I pasted from the JPost. biggrin_o.gif

You hear that Al Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades new name is Martyr Yasser Arafat Brigades? It is on AP Wire. BTW, I think the US is senting somebody from the State Department but it is not Powell (WTOP News).

I think he'll be remembered best as the drummer for the beatles.

LOL!

ringo.jpg    arafat.jpg

EDIT: So add Paul to the attendant's list.