Sign in to follow this  
maverick(USMC)

Army Stryker vehicle

CAR-class has too many limitations to make this thing work.

AFAIK in VBS1 they also use the tank-class for these vehicles.

(Also on the ADF2 stryker-type vehicle)

nice detail; the even used the tank-class on the HMMWV with TOW missile, so they could get it to actually fire guided missiles. We at the OFP1 community already fixed this little issue withe MCAR project. Take that, BIS!! tounge_o.gif

yes and no,

take a look at the BOH mod site and look at the vid of the Type 87 SV. Very interesting, although I don't have a clus on how they managed to get around the limitations of the cas-class.

I mentioned a way to do it. It's not the most elegant solution but I'm pretty sure it would work. The interior gunner view would just need to be blocked on the sides with the front interior view showing a computer screen with a transparent texture so that the gunner can see through the remote turret. On the gunner proxy on the external LOD's it could made so that the head of the gunner is inside some section of the remote turret just barely sticking up past the roof of the APC.

That way you won't see the gunner's head from the outside.

It should work but again its not elegant nor realistic. But it should work.

But...

I must say that I don't know for sure if the gunner view point can be moved around like you can on the tank class. However, if so, then it would make a realistic Stryker possible

with the gunner sitting inside not able to see anything but the cargo area and a computer monitor in the interior view. But in the gun view, he would see the view from just below the MG.

If anyone has a Stryker in the works and in some sort of alpha stage, I'd be happy to experiment on it to get it working.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Yeah, just saw the video....very nice, but the difference there between that vehicle and the Stryker is that the Japanese Type 87 APC has a manned turret while the Stryker does not have any crew inside the MG turret itself. So basically the Type 87 is like Sigma's USMC LAV-25.  

However, I think that as long as the gun view point can be moved around, that a remote turret will be possible.  You just won't be able to see outside from the gunner interior view.  But there may be some other limitations which is why I wish Sigma or someone who's grappled with these issues, would pop in to talk about their experiences trying to make a Stryker APC.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Well currently in AA, the turrent on the Stryker is only manable.

Why for the remote turrent, why not try someting similer done with the Apache?

Problem is that if the gunner is fixed in position , the gun will have a limited traverse and not a full 360 coverage . For 360 the gunner has to be grouped with the gun and turret .

Problem is that if the gunner is fixed in position , the gun will have a limited traverse and not a full 360 coverage . For 360 the gunner has to be grouped with the gun and turret .

That gunner rotating with the turret shouldn't be a problem. The only possible problem is the gun view. If it's a fixed position where the gunner's head is and with only a zoomed in view possible then that's a problem. However if its not and the view point can be moved anywhere (like on tank turrets), then a Stryker should be possible.

If I have time I'll do some experiments on this but I was hoping that one of the tank addon making people on the forum would chime in provide information on whether or not this is possible.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Indeed , and i have  biggrin_o.gif

If the viewgunner and gunner proxie is not grouped with the turret and then the barrel/gun , then the Turret will only pivot through 360 while controled through the optics view, if the turret is traversed while in 3rd person then it will only rotate 90 degrees either side .

I think some one hit the possible answer earlier on , by having the gunner proxie hidden from view and a fake gunner sits in his place , and restrict the real gunners view points to either outside or optics view .

Indeed , and i have  biggrin_o.gif

If the viewgunner and gunner proxie is not grouped with the turret and then the barrel/gun , then the Turret will only pivot through 360 while controled through the optics view, if the turret is traversed while in 3rd person then it will only rotate 90 degrees either side .

I think some one hit the possible answer earlier on , by having the gunner proxie hidden from view and a fake gunner sits in his place , and restrict the real gunners view points to either outside or optics view .

Hmm...well...I think even if the gun rotates only 90 degrees in the 3rd person view this isn't too bad. It'll just force the gunner to use his MG optics isntead which is actually alot more realistic.

As long as the he can still rotate 360 degrees in the scope view, I think it should be alright. Plus most of the time I think most missions will be made with players sitting in the back being transported to and from battlezones.

I very rarely man the MG positions on APC's during missions myself as I prefer not to be RPG bait and find it more exciting engaging the enemy in fierce close quarters combat.

smile_o.gif

So I think that a Stryker with limited 3rd person MG capability would still be pretty cool especially since the AI gunners on the Stryker would still be able to function normally and provide fire support during assaults.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

if any one gets a bug to make this contact me in Pm i have high detail pics and line drawings and some other stuff on the Stryker

Alright, does it mean that you will no longer work on this addon?

I wouldn't worry about AA not giving you a permission to use their Striker model.

You won't need it.

The main point of AA is to advertise the US Army, and you will be doing the same thing.

Besides, many addonmakes have already used various parts of other games in their addons – from Counter Strike to Soldier of Fortune and Call of Duty, and nobody had any complains.

I believe in something I call "Balance of Powers".

That means if WEST has M113, EAST should have something similar – MTLB.

Now EAST has a BTR-80, and WESTern forces don't even have a basic USMC LAV-25…

(Besides the one Sigma made, but it's an early beta)

So I hope you guys will be able to finish your Striker.

And I don't care if it's "reversed" – maybe it's an export version for the UK? smile_o.gif

The stryker is built for a combination of technology, speed, and a high amount of people being moved across the ground.  The US Military needs an APC built prioritized for protection whether it move slow or fast.  A vehicle to where security is first and speed is the last of worries.  A tank with more room.  Currently all apc's can be taken out in a flash by a good rpg shooter.  Maybe a good addon idea would be to create a futuristic apc with high armor.

Quote[/b] ]ndeed , and i have biggrin_o.gif

Just my two cents...

If you don't mind about gunner view without optics (if the gunner

is using optics he will not realize it) and that you won't see the

gunner in his position if you're part of the vehicle's crew, you can:

- put the gunner (AI controlled or not) in a fixed position inside the

hull, so that he won't rotate with the turret if seen from outside

(third person view or a soldier on foot, for example), in the

various distance LODS.

- put the gunner in the same position as above in fire-geometry

LOD

- group the gunner with the turret (otocVez and otocHlavne) in

View-Cargo LOD, and position him above the turret itself, so that

no transported soldier inside the hull can see him moving with

the turret.

In third person view the turret can rotate the full 360 deg. this

way. And of course you won't see the gunner completely or

in part out of the hull. The SA-8 about which the MCAR team

is working on will be based on the facts explained above.

I have a working example of a humvee with a mistral missile

launcher to demonstrate this; but if you want to have a look

I must ask permission to ExtracTioN and BobCatt, since the

humvee model is theirs.

ExtracTioN and BobCatt:

thanks, and yes, I've still the models. But perhaps I'll make a video,

if someone is interested in seeing how the whole thing behaves

and looks in game, and will only PM the models if someone asks me.

I just seen a SWISS MOD made by some people and I looked at the Mowag Pirahna equiped w/ a MG and in their MOD there is one with a TOW lancher. That vehicle looks alot like the STRYKER so it can be done. It has the fixed position stuff you gents were speaking about.  http://ofp.info/swissmod/

You should find it here.....

If it's like the old one, then it's a tracked APC dressed as a wheeled one.

I still have to download it and give it a look, though.

Aw... that sucks then. I tried their old TOW piranah and while it looked very nice, it bugs the hell out of me when a wheeled APC addon drives like a tank. It just feels very unnatural. I'd rather see the gunner turn inside (even if that's unrealistic) then have a tank class.

If nobody is working on the Striker for OFP, the please send that America's Army model over my way and myself and my mod team will work on getting it in game working reasonably realistically in a short amount of time. We'll also put slat armor on it.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

if the piranah looks like the "stryker" its the same damn thing only diff is the stryker and Lav are made by GMoC in london ontario canada. and the "stryker" is a Lav with the turret removed and the remote gun system installed......I'd rather have a 25mm and a 7.62 that can shoot on the move instead of a single weapon that has to be stable to shoot.

If nobody is working on the Striker for OFP, the please send that America's Army model over my way and myself and my mod team will work on getting it in game working reasonably realistically in a short amount of time.  We'll also put slat armor on it.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Maybe the main reason it hasnt been released is .... its a model from Americas Army and probably protected by law .(just a guess)  wink_o.gif