Sign in to follow this  
maverick(USMC)

Army Stryker vehicle

I have a great respect for the men and women who make or help develope addons and this post is not to be seen as a post that is saying something contrary to such persons.

I have lately noticed that most of that addons that have been made recently are "re-makes" of other addons. I have yet to see of someone starting to make the Army's STRYKER assault vehicle.

Is there anyone that knows of an addon that has this?

excuse my ignorance but isnt a styker just a updated lav(sigma made one)?

No, The Stryker is the Army's vehicle. An LAV is what the Marines use. It is totally different. Where that version of the LAV has a turrent on the top like a tank does, the STYKER doesn't.I should know Im an ex-Marine. wink_o.gif

yeah ... Cpt. Frostbite is right ... remote controlled turrets aren´t posible on Car class. I finished a LAV pack for the USMC mod and i decided to define my LAV as tanks cos of the limittation of car class ... sure now i´ve to take some limitations too but not so much like with car class.

so i would prefer a LAV III Stryker defined as a tank class vehicle to make the remote controlled turret posible.

WOW, is it based on the northstar LAVIII?

Those textures are gorgeous  wow_o.gif

no, conversion from Americas Army just for these pics

I belive this thing will never be public avaibale ... cos AA will never give  the permission ... so that mean somebody have to make it from scratch

and i saw serveral pics of it in these frorums ... when finally will stop this and somebody will make one useable for OFP

BTW ... a guy called Minigun said it´s his stryker  a time ago ...

Well, someone needs to make this thing. The Stryker would be a very cool vehicle to have for OFP.

heh, was about to say that looks exactly like the stryker from AA.

But someone definately needs to make this thing.

I know this has come up in the past, if you do a search. However, usually the answer is that it "can't be done", I think. Don't make sense to me, since LAV's are possible, but I don't know anything bout making addons...

All of this was already hashed out some time ago in a past thread where alot of us discussed the issues concerning the car class extensively with Sigma. I think it is possible if the gunner was simply invisible. If you played the gunner you'd only see things through the view port, otherwise it could be made where you can't turn your head to the side and where you just see a big computer monitor in front of you. This is necessary because in the car class, the head of the gunner has to be where the gun camera is as far as I know. The gunner can also be made invisible in the cargo view LOD's or the gunner section can perhaps be partioned away from the troop cargo section.

If anyone makes it, I hope that they also include a version with the RPG-resistant (more or less) slat armor.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

If you watch the Americas Army trailer for the Stryker , you will see the interior is also reversed to the one in the pics Schabernak posted . Maybe the whole model reversed in the conversion process ?

if you ever noticed in AA that alot of things are messed up and backwards. I can't remember them all right off hand tho

Most of the AA's incorrect issues are done intently because the vehicle is still considered classified. The thing hasn't been officaly cleared for military use, its still undergoing trails just They are runnin them in Iraq as a major field teasting combat conditions speed up finding all the bugs.

I tried a search but to no avail, I apologize if I am causing new things to be bung up again. If so can this post be deleted.

I wanted to comment on something though. Is it possible that Sigma make the same vehicle but without a turrent on the top? maybe they can put some type of machine gun turrent instead? Prehaps a TOW missle launcher the way the HMMV was done and call it a stryker. The vehicle that sigma has done looks more like the STRYKER than anything else. I just dont want the cannon on the top. Any thoughts on this?

Is it possible to put the actual proxy in front of the computer screen but but the camera angle in the viewport for turret control? If so, that could be done..I am pretty sure that can be done with a custom proxy.

I tried a search but to no avail, I apologize if I am causing new things to be bung up again. If so can this post be deleted.

I wanted to comment on something though. Is it possible that Sigma make the same vehicle but without a turrent on the top? maybe they can put some type of machine gun turrent instead? Prehaps a TOW missle launcher the way the HMMV was done and call it a stryker. The vehicle that sigma has done looks more like the STRYKER than anything else. I just dont want the cannon on the top. Any thoughts on this?

The problem is not putting the remote MG turret on the Stryker.  The problem is that on car class vehicles (which the Stryker would be unless someone made it a tank class in which it moved like a tank), the gunner would have to have his head sticking up next to the MG.  In real life, this is not the case.  The real life Stryker has a remote controlled MG turret that is fired from within the APC and NOT inside the turret.   This can be done with a tank class vehicle in OFP.  My mod team's (The Lost Brothers) Puma heavy APC (used by the Israelies) actually has a remote controlled machine gun turret.

But again, sadly this is not possible on a car class vehicle.

That is why I suggested some creative ideas using invisible gunner positions where if you play the gunner you can't look from side to side in the normal interior position and where the basicaly you are just staring into a gun camera video monitor.  In the interior cargo proxy, the infantry shouldn't see the gunner position if its blocked off.  It probably isn't in real life, but hey, we gotta work with the OFP limitations.

Personally I would not want to see the Stryker as a tank class vehicle.  It just looks bizzare seeing a wheeled armored vehicle moving around like a tank.

The LAV III and LAV-25's made by Sigma are indeed related to the Stryker.  They are made by the same company except that the Stryker has a ton of bells and whistles like remote video cameras and special armor.  

At any rate, I think the Stryker is possible to make in OFP.  It'll just take a bit of creativity to get it working in a realistic manner.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Is it possible to put the actual proxy in front of the computer screen but but the camera angle in the viewport for turret control? If so, that could be done..I am pretty sure that can be done with a custom proxy.

As far as I know, in tank class vehicles you can do this (I did this with the Lost Brothers Puma APC which also has a remote controlled MG gun station). However I don't believe this is possible with a car class vehicle.

But I haven't tried this to verify it. Hopefully Sigma will eventually see this thread and chime in about whether he's had any success on making a Stryker.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>