Sign in to follow this  
Zander

bump mapping ?

does opf's engine support bump mapping ?

do you know a good tutorial about how to import bump maps in opf ?

No? I really remmember something about BUMP MAPPING. I don't know when or what it was about but I do remmember it. I don't remmember if it was a discusstion about it or if it works.

can enybody explain what bump mapping is?

STGN

Its a texture techniqie that you can add details to the texture in such a way that it would simulate details as if it was modeled in the model, its fairly comon standard on most game engines, just OFP is a little on the old side, quite possably work under the DXDLL if tinkered with corecctly.

HAlo II uses Bumpmapping to extreame.

can enybody explain what bump mapping is?

STGN

basically by applying a grayscale texture (white/gray and black spots) you can define a relief of a surface without modeling it. Very nice feature. Allows for example having realistic looking skin, rust on metal and etc.

that's right!

Doom III example

his sixpack isn't modelled there, but it's done by bumpmapping... same for the frowns on his head... and the wrinkles in his... heck allmost every past of him is bumpmapped biggrin_o.gif !

anyhow, it is possible in OFP... i've seen it work tounge_o.gif

EDIT: "just noticed"the little bit of bumpmappin on the wall... ghostface.gif

Have I understood this right, Bumpmapping is just to make a texture show shadow where it wouldens show one if it was just a texture so I could make and arm whit plain(no shaodw) woodland cammo and then make this bumpmapping and when the soldier turned it would from a distance seem like the arm had meany curves?

STGN

True dynamic bump mapping (where the bump map changes the shadows it creates as the light source moves around the model) is NOT possible in OFP.

Much like the "Ofp engine, please discuss here" thread (is it just me, or am I repeating myself in my old age) to do what you want to do would require decompiling the exe, and changing the graphics engine.

And that is not only damn near impossible, its also illegal.

The "bump mapping" that has been shown in many examples is not real bump mapping, but detail burning into the texture (so that the texture has dark patches for shadows etc)

Which, if done properly looks fantastic, but is not dynamic bump mapping (since there is no code in the graphics engine to actually handle the bump map)

And once again, DXDLL is NOT the be-all and end all of mods, "all" (I say "all" because its a fantastic bit of coding) it does is "hijack" the graphics output of OFP and apply some direct x post processing before passing it on to the monitor. It doesnt allow for new physics, it doesnt allow for new graphics techniques, it doesnt allow for multi-gunners because all of that would involve changing the game engine.

And once again, DXDLL is NOT the be-all and end all of mods, "all" (I say "all" because its a fantastic bit of coding) it does is "hijack" the graphics output of OFP and apply some direct x post processing before passing it on to the monitor. It doesnt allow for new physics, it doesnt allow for new graphics techniques, it doesnt allow for multi-gunners because all of that would involve changing the game engine.

DXDLL does more than just that, in fact the water effect uses environmental bumpmapping. It would be possible to add any such effects with the same method, like bump-, normal-, specularmapping, etc. but it would not be worth the trouble as implementing it would not only require to make the bumpmaps but also to assign them specifically to each texture by a CRC comparison.

well ur are right keg

but u can "bump map" textures it only requires some STOTAT on textures ;)

but the result looks the same

and bump mapping is possible in ofp

look at the wobly water in ofp when using dxdll biggrin_o.gif

i will explain how to bump map or use height or specular maps

once ive finshed my oxy tute

cheers

well ur are right keg

but u can "bump map" textures it only requires some STOTAT on textures ;)

but the result looks the same

and bump mapping is possible in ofp

look at the wobly water in ofp when using dxdll biggrin_o.gif

i will explain how to bump map  or use height or specular maps

once ive finshed my oxy tute

cheers

thanks,

do you know how much bump maps affect fps ?

Its not called "bump mapping" in that case nephilim.

What I believe you have done is to "burn" the detail into the texture, so that it appears that it is bump mapped, but it isnt actually bump mapped (since there is no code in the graphics engine, applying bump maps would be pointless)

Its a common technique used when bump maps are not available, and if done correctly provides a good looking result, but the shadows will not change dynamically according to the light source as they would if it used actual bump maps.

even in doom3 bump maps dont add shadows, bump maps shadows is another thing, it use a lot of resource and we dont need it.

even in doom3 bump maps dont add shadows, bump maps shadows is another thing, it use a lot of resource and we dont need it.

Definition of Bump Mapping from Wikipedia:

Quote[/b] ]In computer graphics, bump mapping is a technique where at each pixel, a perturbation to the surface normal of the object being rendered is looked up in a texture map and applied before the illumination calculation is done (see, for instance, Phong shading.) The result is a richer, more detailed surface representation that more closely resembles the details inherent in the natural world.

Originally bump mapping was used in rendering programs. Later it came to be incorporated into games, most notably Doom 3.

Bump-map-demo-smooth.pngBump-map-demo-bumpy.png

The sphere on the right is geometrically the same as that on the left, but has a bump map applied. This changes how it reacts to shading, giving it the appearance of a bumpy texture resembling that of an orange. Note that this still picture example does not truely show the essence of bump mapping: the extra detail could have been created simply by a normal texture map. A moving object, camera, or light source is needed to fully notice the effect.

Bump mapping provides dynamic lighting effects such as shadows, whereas normal mapping (which is what nephilim is doing) simple "burns" one set of shadow detail into the texture.

lol this has nothing to do with bumpmapping. For me its a simple texture filter like Emboss or Bas relief. And this is not new can be done in all games or engine who can map polycons or faces. What you all mean is Dot3 bumpmapping or environmental bump mapping. And this has something to do with the light direction. And like the name says it is a typ of mapping and not a texture filter you need 2 textures for bumpmapping the normal with colour and than a black and white or in nvidia bumpmaps violet colour Doom3 users know what i mean, for bumpmapping. but this cant be done with the ofp engine like DeadMeatXM2 says only in DXDLL like Kegetys says.

Such stadig effects has some problems: we use a simple brick texture with such effect from the right site the bricks looks like stamp inside the wall and from the left side they look like stamp outside the wall. The shadows and lights on this texture are not corect becouse they were greated in a 2d graphig programm wich use a lightsource who does not exist in the game.

And if the bug has bumpmaps than i can use displacement maps in ofp lol. tounge_o.gif

edit: ups i was to late,.. DeadMeatXM2 explan it right smile_o.gif .

sigh.....

ok lemme tell u one thing

remeber teh pacific 45 mod?

comunity ruined it down cuz they said they were layers.

@ DeadMeatXM2

well i know wot im doing

and these pics only show a pre beta bug with bump textures

whcih means the actual bum map local is appled on the textures

a bump map is made of pure rgba colors

thats why it look so freaky biggrin_o.gif

but the newer one has proper bump maps

sure bump mapping is similar to a emboss or burn funstion

but only in its looks

Urgh.. You didnt actually read the definition of bump map did you?

Bump maps are a seperate GREYSCALE texture applied under (or over - depending on how the gfx engine handles it) the actual rendered texture.

What you are doing is NOT bump mapping.

Bump mapping is not possible in OFP, dxdll can implement it, but only by checking each texture then applying the bump map via a render routine.

Bump mapping is similar to emboss or bas relief, except for the fact that bump mapping allows for the shadows it creates to change dynamically as the lightsource producing them is moved, or the model moves within the light.

The difference is, your method will NOT cause the shadows to change dynamically.