Sign in to follow this  
Schabernak

M60A1

It's looking incredible. This is now on my top five list of eagerly anticipated addons.

In the 80s there used to be one stored behind the national guard armory where I grew up. I remember always asking my mom on trips to the grocery store "Mom can we drive by the tank garage on the way home." just so I could get a glimpse of it. I tell you when some one mentions tanks I usually imagine the M60 first.

Guys a M48 and others would be cool, but try not to sidetrack the thread too much. Try to stick to the M60 he's making. I know nobody means anything bad by it, but I can see where some addon makers would get a little perturbed when they post their work and %90 of the comments end up being request for something else instead of what he is currently making.

Who be callin' my Starship a failure? <M60A2 was the first thing I crewed>

The A2 worked fine, they abandoned the missile component too early, the fire control system was better than the regular M60's, OMB just balked at the cost.

theres a VFW here that has a M60 on display. they may be old, but they are pretty big tanks.

Actualy The M60A3 haunted the Army till about 94 guard and Amry Reserve about 98, then enough M1s were around for most Actuive duty units. A fair number of out old M60s sat in storage, still a lot of them parked in mothballs, many got used for target pratice or gave to the Kosivo Army when we took away all the russain tanks they had.

http://www.madman.com.au/tism/bunny/

"some addon makers would get a little perturbed when they post their work and %90 of the comments end up being request for something else instead of what he is currently making." - I agree. Let's just wait and see.

Still, in the long run I suppose it would be a good idea to do something with the entire old Sigma US tanks pack. It was a very good pack at the time it was released, but things change...

"some addon makers would get a little perturbed when they post their work and %90 of the comments end up being request for something else instead of what he is currently making."

I didn't intend to request something else. smile_o.gif

I'm really looking forward to this addon and I thought it would be easy to change some things on the M60 to make a M48. It would be quite cool to have something like a "Patton Tank Familiy Pack". wink_o.gif

You have to weigh up the delay doing more versions will cause vs how important it would be to have the other tanks in ofp.

I don't see so much point to an M48 without there being an opposing counterpart.. but I'm guessing the T-55s by RHS will be perfect.

I can't help but notice the author of the thread has not yet achnowledged any of the requests for anything other than the M60 biggrin_o.gif

The requests for an M48 are fueled by the fact that it was used in Nam (unlike the M60). Only two version of the M60 were used in Nam; the bridelayer and the Combat Engineer Vehicle.

The Marines had M-60A1s in Desert Storm. I'm 95% sure of that. Only the Army, AFAIK, ever used the A3s.

The Marines fielded M60A1s durring desert Shield, along with thr 82nd AB in thier poped cherry Sheridains. the Marines started recieving the M1 just before the invassion, but still retain the M60A1 for beach landing operations seeing and M1 is useless for fording. Some units in the Army were still using the M60A3 durring desert Sheild/Storm as well. Were not enough M1s to go around, the M48A5 or TTT3 which was still in service in the reserve componants. Some got the M60s kicked down from the activie units, then evetually the Abrams, the M60 lingered on till about 98 active duty and a few years after that the Reserves got rid of theirs. Usualy they didn't get the M1 and reorganzied into other units or disbanded.

Still have a dozon of them stored on the local military bases, some get used for target pratice..

Actually, i do remember seeing the 1st Bn, 4th Infantry at Hohenfels using the M-60A3 in 1997.

I can't help but notice the author of the thread has not yet achnowledged any of the requests for anything other than the M60  biggrin_o.gif

It's the addonmaker's decision, and I'll respect it. wink_o.gif

didn't the US Army once wanted to make one version of the M60 with a 120mm gun and better armor+ERA ?

Sort of...

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m60-2000.htm

Apparantly it was designed primarily as an export version, but given that the upgrades bring it close to the M1A1's abilities for about half the price, it might be a nice addition to some US units.

Sorry to go a bit offtopic but:

I hate it when statments like this are made.

Quote[/b] ]The survivability of the 120S is unmatched.

Where did I last hear someone say that? Oh yeah.. about the M1. The same M1's getting ripped up by RPG-7's in Iraq. No wonder so many people used to beleive they were the indesturctable Uber tanks. Thank god for Challenger 2s is all I'll say.

The Marines had M-60A1s in Desert Storm. I'm 95% sure of that. Only the Army, AFAIK, ever used the A3s.

Interesting. M60A1 with optic rangefinder and no thermal vision? Unmodernised? I could be...

So I Gulf War-era ERA on USMC M60A1s would be nice ;)

DKM Jaguar, M1s ripped by RPGs??? AFAIR in Iraq Abrams` are being ripped only by IEDs. RPG can be dangerous if hit from above, behind or flank - but the most of modern tanks (Challenger 2 included) got thin skin there and got problems in urban warfare.

the challanger 2's have yet to be tested in real heavy urban combat in iraq only light stuff..

the challanger 2 and m1a1/2 are pretty much on par with each other.

the best tank for suriblity is the mervaka Mk4.. but that is beside the point of this topic..

we at Lobo have an m60A1 with era panels in tan desert.

it would be semi easy to take our panels and put them on sig's m60's. and since i modeled and textured them anyone who wants can use it. i don't care.

the best tank for suriblity is the mervaka Mk4..

Maybe,but has this tank been tested on anything other than stone throwing crowds or civilian dwellings rock.gif    tounge_o.gif.Has anybody else noted the fact that the creator of this addon Schabernak hasn't posted since the 27th.He must either be hard at work on this project or maybe hes scrapped it because of the amount of requests as i thought all he was doing was a reskin.Which by the way would of suited me fine as i don't go in for all the models available.Except maybe a desert version biggrin_o.gif ...

don't know seen a fair number of M60A1s eat lots of RPGs and were repairable. They were way better suited for urban fighitng than the M1 was, the M1 was a cross contry maurading monster built for fighting in the european areas. the M60 could have been upgunned by there was fierce compitition against the Abrams. Often M60 crews had to down play the tanks capabilites durring public performance to make the M1 look better. M60s main failings was that it was crappy in cross contry movement, took four hours to replace the power pack vs the M1s one hour. Was old tech, high profile. and was slow compaired to the M1 that could run out and sustain at 55 mph easilly. when the M1 got the 120mm gun to replace the 105mm rifled cannon the M60 was doomed. The M60 had the cannon firing missile system on it the cannon often had a horrible recoil on it, so the thought of upguning the M60 with the 120mm came into that snag. The M1 weighs about 62 tons before the addition of the extra armor so it was able to lessen the recoil of the 120mm. Someplace got photos of the M1 and M60 going against eachother on the rages of Abredden proving ground. Durring a miltary exposition..

That and the M60 was not even equal to the russain T55, only advantage is the M60 didn't have to stop to fire. T55 had supieror cross contry capablities. The T62, 64 and 72 came out with a bigger cannon 125mm smoother bore, which also could kill the early abrams, thuss the M1 was upgraded to the 120mm and began the long updating of the platform, USMc clung to the M60 for the longest cause the M1 cannot do beach ops, the Pentigon don't want a 2 million dollar tank being submerged in deep water, its so heavy it sink in the soft mud the M60 was better suited for beach ops, and could deep ford. Eventually they got the hoverlandingcraft that can deploy M1s to the beaches. also only one aircraft can airlift M1s in the invintory, the M60 was over 2,000 tons lighter. For rapid deployment use, one of the reasons the 82nd kept the M551A2s till about 00.

Its also got at least 5 tons od added amor plating to it, the standard M60 the 120mm recoild beat the crap out of the gun crews, mush like the 152mm cannon it had. only real reason the M60 got mothballed was logistics, The US Army didn't wanna have to keep sperate supply lines going to two battle tanks, the M60 lost out still running a 105mm and zero parts compatablity with the M1. If the M1 still had the 105mm the M60s still be around in decent numbers. Checking now rumors the Army Nasty Guard still has em.. Mostly parked awaiting M1s.