Sign in to follow this  
John J. Rambo

U.S. Soldiers 1967/68

These look so sexy, i havent even looked at the gear issued. But the gear you're showing looks kinda old man.

How old are those ALICE clips?

Personally i think they suck, always getting loose when you're crawling around. The new OPS vests dont have that problem luckily.

@ Cpt. Frostbite: You're quite right there, man. However, the ERDL-berets were only issued to some SF/SEAL/MFR members. The black ones were issued, but were rarely used (as far as I know) because they stick out like sore thumb in the jungle. You're very right about the helmets. They offered little protection, but draftees wasn't really aware of this. They were told the helmet would protect and believed it. Besides, they had to follow certain rules of uniforms. The most common head-gear that I know of was the boonie, like you said, and a towel/bandana wrapped around the head.

The USMC was not the only one using the Flak vests. However, as far as I know, the USMC adopted them earlier than US. Army, and they did offer some protection. They took away alot of the punch from the bullet, and smaller calibre ammo would stop at the flakvest.

To the addon: I actually agree with you there Frostbite. They look better without the helmet hanging from their gear, and if the helmet will hang from the gear, it should lie on top of the backpack.

@Ranger44: The AK47 is actually quite accurate. The M16 is more accurate, but then again, it jams all the time.

at 200 meters the AK47 isn't that very accurate anymore(even the discovery channel says so), so i dont want to get fragged by 1 shot at that range, that's the point i'm making.

But with the recoil, that looks pretty heavy on the AK, the automatic mode has to have a good dispersion.

We dont have a "weapon jammed" script for the M16A1 somewhere?

Well, hope you get the texture bugs fixed very soon. Cant wait to have a good old virtual firefight in the jungle, some nice '60s songs in my missions and that nice M60 rambling again.

a little off-topic;

the ERDL-beret was also locally produced and purchased by recce and LRRP guys. The black one was popular in the early years of the war among recce troops. The 'Recondo' patch was often placed on the baret (if the unit was 101st or 82nd).

The black baret was sometimes used in the field, but it was indeed not the best headgear.

About the gear used;

-Ammopouches; the ammopuches used are ALICE 30rnd mag pouches. The correct ammopouch shoeld be the 'M1967 nylon ammunition case'

-entrenchig tool; the one used in vietnam was the M1951 folding shovel (two-fod design). As late as 1969 this was replaced with the newer M1967 (tri-fold design). The 'case' was nylon in these years and not the plastic one as used in this addon.

As Offitme correctly stated it should look like this (uses the items discribes above); http://www.offtime.webpark.pl/mlce.gif

Alrighty mate. Hope you get it all fixed soon, cuz you produced one elite addon here.

Just spotted an AK47 on www.ofp.info, changed it configs, it's pretty nasty now, and for good use with VC.

By the way, that M60, it has 200 rounds, now didnt the M60 box always have 100 rounds? And usually it was a bit more black. Could be wrong here, but i always assumed that.

I like these units you got there. They could probably pass for modern jungle operations units too, I guess. Nice work.

And another suggestion for you to consider, could you take the Cav marking off? If you do that, these units would pass as any unit involved in 'Nam. 25th, Cavalry... you name it. smile_o.gif Would make a huge difference and they could be used in a more "free way". smile_o.gif

A random arm patch option like BAS Rangers had? Is that hard to make? Could be a nice solution.

They are good but they dont do your nam guys justice.

I got a little bug, on a few guns, like the M-60, and .45 the textures are white from a distance. No biggy tho, they still kick ass.

So....about those vc? Or maybe some Marines or ARVN? Noone has made any ARVN guys, those ARVN paras with the tiger on their helmet would be cool.

If you give them Charlie fellas a new AK47 and use one of the anim replacement packs, they'll look good enough for a while.

good morning

i've uploaded the fixed file already yesterday, so it was not able to make the m60 more black or taking the cav. marking of. please don't be dissapointed to me  sad_o.gif .

...the update is out now.

http://www.ofpnam.com/download.php?view.85

greetings,

John J. Rambo wink_o.gif

dissapointed? rock.gif We don't have the right to be. These units are great. With the texture bugs fixed there awesome. Keep it up!

Man, you're about at the same level as god after this superb release, so certainly not dissappointed. We have no right to be as my good countrymen already said.  

I still get a white M60 if i view it at range. So i hope you can fix that. For a new AK47, there are plenty around, adrenaline red. One flaw also, the NVGoggles, in Nam that wasn't around yet, at least not standard issue. Tried to re-config it, but somehow it couldnt save it properly. The Colt 1911 is white at a distance too.

Any ideas on future projects? Meaning after you've taking a well-earned rest and maybe some beers tounge_o.gif I was playing the game Vietcong at a mate's house the other day, and those SF guys look mighty fine. Maybe you can make some of those, tiger stripe camo mixed with regular clothes, boonies, bandanna's, those leather gloves without fingertops on 'em. And a South Vietnamese pointman, that would be so great.

I would suggest making this pack in great condition before starting with any new projects. These units are a great facelift and replacement for the old SEB units. After playing with them more, I have some suggestions:

- Make them generic soldiers as Hawkins suggested, remove the armpatches, these guys are just so good compared to the old SEB units that I wouldn't want to be limited to using them as Air Cav.

- Remove the space between the weapon names and their upgrade names, eg. instead of M16 A1, it should be M16A1, this is the most common and correct spelling. Also, M16 instead of M 16.

- Remove the weapons from the unit names, it is quite clear that machine gunners have M60's without it being in the name, especially if there is only one kind of radio operator there is no need to write M16 after his name, what other weapon would he have? It must be considered that the unit names also show up in radio traffic, and weapon names after the unit type are unnecessary and a bit silly in this context, the difference between an M16 and CAR-15 isn't as big as to justify writing their names after, IMO. Also, if a unit picks up another weapon his name stays the same, so please remove the weapon name, if only to keep the radio traffic looking clean.

- An officer with an M16 would also be good, so Officer 1 would have an M16 and Officer 2 a Thompson?

- All units have binocs and NVGs by default? wow_o.gif

- The M60 is still a white box at some ranges, the Colt pistol still has missing LODs and the second-closest LOD of the Thompson is of a completely different color than the others.

smile_o.gif

Once more, excellent units JJR! This new version rocks, and I love them. It really brings some variation to the units, making them individuals. This is just what we need. Thank you very much. smile_o.gif

barnes2.jpg

Really makes Sgt. Barnes, Sgt. Barnes. biggrin_o.gif A true badass. smile_o.gif

Sorry to be a little less happy than the rest of the guys here, but i am surprised that Ayorros (from OFrP) soldiers have been used and rehauled to make the most of these soldiers and if OFrP is briefly mentionned in the readme, a proper request and if accepted the use of proper mlod versions with the latest fixes and polishing of the units would have made them better justice.

I've seen lots of glitches in the units that i had personally worked to fix them on the OFrP soldiers, be it the polishing of normals, missing faces, quads with non ordered vertices where there should be triangles, reverted faces, convexity issues...

If i am mistaken and if Ayorros and OFrP have been contacted and actually have authorized this i am sorry, but still, there's too many glitches in the model structures themselves and with normals.

i have written in the readme that i've used the HYK-soldiers and the OpFr-soldiers for the base. sorry but i didn't knew that i had to contact them for using sad_o.gif .