Sign in to follow this  
Duke_of_Ray

USAF

Maybe this is too offtopic for the offtopic, but I hope not. wink_o.gif Anyways I was wondering if anybody had been in or is in the United States Air Force? I really want to join, but I have ti wait till my b-day on Oct. 25th to sign up, so I will be 18. Im not sure what I want to do in it, I thought about being a cop in the Air Force, I heard it was a crappy job, but after I get out I want to do law enforcement. Anybody knbow of a good job in the Air Force? Im not into being a mechanic, or a desk jockey either. I thought about weather or even a radio operator, not sure though. I can't wait to get in, as it will be a chance to serve my country, an do my part. I'm just looking for some advice on what I should do in there, and Im all ears...errrr....eyes I guess.....

If they dont let you ask this kind of stuff here, go to this site. Some military guys hang out there, so maybe they can help you smile_o.gif.

On actually joining, sorry I can't offer any advice...I'm only 14 tounge_o.gif. Maybe try and be a pilot who transports stuff if you don't want to be an actual fighter pilot wink_o.gif...

You mean the USAF Security Police? I'd really say you should try to join the Marines but you never really know what you'll end up doing in it.

You should join the Army if you want to be a Military Policeman, you will always know that you will get the job in the Army because it's on the papers when you sign them. If it isn't have them do it over again.

I suggest you go to www.militarypolice.com and ask everyone's opinion on their board! Lots of Veterans from all eras and current MP's... they will tell you what you need to know!

Good luck let us all know how it turns out!

Maybe this is too offtopic for the offtopic, but I hope not. wink_o.gif  Anyways I was wondering if anybody had been in or is in the United States Air Force? I really want to join, but I have ti wait till my b-day on Oct. 25th to sign up, so I will be 18. Im not sure what I want to do in it, I thought about being a cop in the Air Force, I heard it was a crappy job, but after I get out I want to do law enforcement. Anybody knbow of a good job in the Air Force? Im not into being a mechanic, or a desk jockey either. I thought about weather or even a radio operator, not sure though. I can't wait to get in, as it will be a chance to serve my country, an do my part. I'm just looking for some advice on what I should do in there, and Im all ears...errrr....eyes I guess.....

If your going to join the Forces you wanna know what you actually wan't to do, me for what i'm going to do it's 12 years minimum (less than most criminal's) so after Uni thats it till i'm 34.

If I were you I wouldn't enlist, go in as an officer or at least an NCO. Not that enlisted folk are some kind of lower race or anything, but it seems like the military treats them like it sometimes. Especially if you want to make this long term.

I know you can't be a pilot in the air force without being an officer.

also, being an officer requires a bachelor degree in most any major (science and math majors are favored).

If you've got Armed Forces Careers Offices around like we do in the UK I suggest you go to one , ask some questions and get some help working out what you want to do before your birthday.

Hell, you could just go for your bachelor's at a good public university, then sign up to be a combat pilot if your vision is good (no vision problems).  

If that fails, you could always try being a PJ or work for the SOF division of the USAF.

Unless you are wanting to be in the SWAT or HRT teams of the US police & govt. agencies, I believe just about any military experience (commissioned officer) with a good record and good recommendations will get you far in law enforcement, especially the FBI, Secret Service, or the ATF.

The main thing I believe that determines where and if you are hired is your performance in college and your reliability in the armed services and/or other jobs/careers you had.

Could I get some accurate feedback on this.

Thx.

Havoc.

Yuhhh, get a degree in maths, all the girls love it :P

I can't believe that USAF pilots need degrees to get in, the ones I've met seem to have just made it past 3rd grade.

About joining the forces, unless you have a specific goal and want the airforce to train you for that specific goal then I would very seriously consider your motivations. Remember what the military is, it's a disciplined organisation focused around killing people. It is very similar to school, school is disciplined and you have superiors telling you what to do all day, did you enjoy the structure of school?

Think of yourself before you commit yourself to serve your country, if you do go in unqualified you are stuck for 12 years or however long. Remember the adverts you see on the TV only show you what the post graduates and career types do. They don't show you thousands of people doing the admin behind desks who are stuck in an office for 12 years...

If I was going to go in any branch of the US services enlisted it would be the coastguard. Do something worthwhile to other people, not just the politicians in Washington DC.

One thing that puzzles me, is why the USAF doesn't allow people with not so good vision, when they normally engage targets 24 miles away using missiles.

when you attack a ground target they sometimes have to make a fly-by to see if the target is really hostile or not (peacekeeping operations for example). This is where the good vision is needed.

One thing that puzzles me, is why the USAF doesn't allow people with not so good vision, when they normally engage targets 24 miles away using missiles.

cause it looks dorky with glasses.

10927.jpg

Ha ha ha ha ha, hey at least the USN and the USAF hasn't forgotten how to have a damn good time when things are quiet and peaceful.  I think what hurts the US Army and the USMC is their culture and regulations.  You can maintain good order and discipline without appearing or behaving like a ritualisitic cult.  (No disrespect here to the US Army or the USMC, just taking a critical look at what I see.)

The Navy Seals are an excellent example of how you can be the best in the world and not appear a few cents short in the head or look like a mindless robot.

Sometimes too much control over people's will and thinking influences or contributes to incidents in wartime and at foreign locations. The prison scandal in Iraq I believe is proof of that. The US Army in Iraq: Overworked, undermanned, underappreciated, a pool of unprofessional beliefs/traits of the insurgents, and bored to hell.

You can't promote peace and stability in a region where you treat combatants like animals, you lose credability and you disgrace everything the U.S. and Europe fought for over 50 years in World War II to stop.

the good vision requirement for pilots is for one simple reason..TO CUT DOWN ON APPLICANTS..I've met alot of senior officer pilots in all branches that now wear glasses and are still on flying status. Once you gone through flight school and proved that you are capable of flying(and the military has spent millions training you) wearing glasses isn't that big of a deal as long as you can pass the vision test with correcting lenses or PRK. You'll also notice over the years the vision requirement have dropped to less than 20/20 uncorrected over the years I believe the airforce now is 20/70 correctable to 20/20 because earlier vision standards kinda came back and bit the air force in the ass and they didn't have enough applicants coming through the pipeline..the Navy and Marine Corps have followed suite

Yea, I can't be a piolit becuase of my vision. Also I really do not care about making a carrer out of it so I will go to college after. Today I talked to some people, and Im not sure about the Security Forces anymore, pretty crazy job. I'm looking at maybe being a radio operator, and I am also looking at trying to get stationed in Iceland. biggrin_o.gif Right now I will just sign up for 4 years.

Duke

My brother was in the USAF for 20 years and was a weatherman, he liked it. If you want to go in Law Enforcement i would say to join the Army and be an MP. Although in the USAF they do not train as hard in basic as the Army and Marines does.

unclesam.gif

I talked to more and more people, and now I am mostly likely not going to be an Air Cop. Does anybody know muh about military radio communications? Would that be a good job? Also Winters I have thought about beign in weather, could be a good job.

I know an E-4 in the USAF, he hates his job. He likes Okinawa, and he relished his visit to Iraq, but his job sucks.

just a simple question:

Is it possible to join any of the US Forces if you are German (I don't care if I have to give up my German nationality (and I would be happy if I could)).

CounterForce wrote:

Quote[/b] ]just a simple question:

Is it possible to join any of the US Forces if you are German (I don't care if I have to give up my German nationality (and I would be happy if I could)).

I think they're searching for someone LOYAL.

And your post denies you that virtue...

#edit:It was a bit longer (subjective) originally

just a simple question:

there is a forum member who indicated that his brother joined USAF despite being a foreigner.

I saw the discovery channel once before and an australian born man who lived there for much of his life moved to america and joined the U.S. Army as an Apache pilot.