Sign in to follow this  
Wachtmeester

Screenshots from a new Island

Hi guys,

I'm currently working on a new Island for Lowland Warriors and it's neering completion. So I decided to post some screenshots. The Island is based on a actual military training ground in the Netherlands using a real life DEM. So the heights and distances are quiet accurate. You notice that the terrain is relatively flat (lowland biggrin_o.gif ) which is typical for the Netherlands. This brings some differences to combat, which is nice to try. The real terrain is used by armored an infantry units, so it doesn't feature a landingstrip.

Anyway, i hope to release the Island in about a month. You can download the screenshots from here:

Screenshots Leusderheide.

Cheers,

Wouter

Great work smile_o.gif

It looks very authentic , looks like some parts of the Salisbury plain training area in th U.K .

I imediatly liked its simplicity , the lack of an airstrip isnt that much of a problem IMO because helicopters dont need one .

Looking forward to trying it .

smile_o.gif

well looks pretty good,

but its very plain, just old OFP, nothing new.

but im not a tank battle guy, im all about the infantry. smile_o.gif

Wow great!

It looks like the training area "Sennelager" where I have learned offroad driving the german Wolf and had to march countless kilometers during my time at the Bundeswehr.

Maybe you could add some "medium sized" sandhills.

MfG Lee smile_o.gif

It's perfect for armor units. Many large roads and open areas. It's also perfect for tank-hunter units like a TOW-carrier.

An airstrip would be completely out of place here. And as said; helicopters don't need one.

I love the screenshots and it looks like a very nice island for some very interesting tank battles.

I think it looks excellent, and can double for almost any where in western europe i think. Do you think you'll be adding, or making a new island of, Marnehuizen MOUT place?

Wow great!

It looks like the training area "Sennelager".

Ahhh that place!

Island looking good for the tankies...

As other people have already said it reminds me also of a typical British Army training area.Not everybody who plays OFP makes "fighting" missions.I sometimes mess about and make an everyday scene.This would be great for tank and anti-tank personel.And no i'm not going nuts... smile_o.gif

It looks very good. Very realistic-looking.

Reminds me of the Joint Readiness Training Center, when it was stationed at Fort Chaffee, Arkansas.

lol, is there any training ground this island doesn't remind people of?!

Quote[/b] ]lol, is there any training ground this island doesn't remind people of?!

Pukapunal ADF Millitary base Victoria wink_o.giftounge_o.gif

Thanks guys, for the kind comments. Indeed the island is good use for tankbattles. If you want, you can make good use of the terrain with your vehicle and approach your enemy without being noticed till it's to late for him biggrin_o.gif . Also ambushes with infantry are great .

Anyway, I'm now adding the final touches to the island, Mayby I'll make a international version with English names for the map, but that are just small maters. That's if you guys wan't an English version!

Cheers,

Wouter

That would be nice but I am looking forward more to getting an armour hunting party on the area using PUKF Troops and the fantastic OPFP Milan.

what about size & lag? most islands look amazing these days but they are not really balanced for normal computers. As soon as I put 2 groups on them, the enjoyable smooth feeling is lost for me. what about this one?

It's a 12 km map (256x256 grid size) so it isn't that huge. I also made this map on a P3 1ghz, 512 ram and geforce 5200 128 ram, not the fastest pc on earth. When I have the ofp settings on:

-max framerate

-visual quality 7.19

-1100 viewdistance

-low terrain detail

about three/four vehicles and a number of men on the screen it remains playable, a little depending on the area your playing in. Offcourse de pictures are made with higher settings for eyecandy, but in the oncoming month I will try to reduce lag as much as possible.

Anyway, I'm now adding the final touches to the island, Mayby I'll make a international version with English names for the map, but that are just small maters. That's if you guys wan't an English version!

Excellent news its almost done, and i wouldn;t bother with the English version, people can just say they are pretending to fight in a foreign country or something if they have a mission on it which is suppsoed to be on a English speaking country.

Also...

Quote[/b] ]Do you think you'll be adding, or making a new island of, Marnehuizen MOUT place?

Any word on that? Maybe it's not called that, but it's what a Dutch guy said when i asked him.

Quote[/b] ]Do you think you'll be adding, or making a new island of, Marnehuizen MOUT place?

Any word on that? Maybe it's not called that, but it's what a Dutch guy said when i asked him.

I probably will, if I can get some good info on that (which should be no problem). But it's not that big, so I have to think of an area around Marnehuizen. (BTW Marnehuizen is a training area for urban fighting).

Cheers,

Wouter