Sign in to follow this  
snypa

FWW2 - Finland at war

Hello, I'm the PR master of FWW2 - Finland at war 1939-1945. We are mod about Finlands years of war during WW2. We are currently working on our first phase (phase 1 - Winter war) and we already have lot's of things worked, some even finsihed.

Before I will get well started, I will have to say that we don't have anything against FDFmod and we just began this mod for our own fun and to bring cuality addons for community. This only a hobby for us, nothing more searious. We aren't competing against FDFmod and we don't want to talk about this subject.

Now, we have a website at here and from there you can find our forums.

We hope to get some support from us and we are also looking for new person to this mod. Currently we are in need of:

- texture artist (we who wouldn't need one)

- animator

- modellers

If you are interested, then contact us at our forums. Send PM to Von Rundsted at there.

Now some pics

M/31 Suomi SMG

BSpic.jpg

SuomiKP.jpg

M/36 Field suit and M/28-30 Pystykorva military rifle (unfinished, both still underwork. Pics doesen't reflect the current quality of the addon)

12.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

And also one pic of our L/26 Lahti-Saloranta LMG (textures really under work still)

m26uudetpeli1.jpg

Very nice! Although I think you should consider asking FDF mod to use their version of these guns. Which are very nice and should save you some ammount of work smile_o.gif

Everything looks great! And I wish you lots of luck in your effort, I have really been looking forward to seeing Finlands view of WW2 in a game! smile_o.gif

There were a few RTS games devoted to Finland in WW2, but they weren't too wellmade (PS1 games IIRC)

Yes, FDF mod has a high-quality Maxim and L-26...I think this mod's Suomi and rifle look a bit better than FDF's actually.

Keep up the good work, anyway.

Just a question about the uniforms as I'm not very familiar with Finland during ww2.

The uniforms look German?

So Finland was helping Germans fight the Soviets at some point I take it?

Mod looks great so far. smile_o.gif

Im not positive about this but im pretty sure this is what I heard.

Within World War 2 Finland was invovled in 3 seperate wars

1: Finland vs Russia

2: Finland and Germany vs Russia

3: Finland and Russia vs Germany

I think that is accurate but feel free to correct me if im wrong.

Just a question about the uniforms as I'm not very familiar with Finland during ww2.

Mod looks great so far. smile_o.gif

I don't know about the uniforms (never seen any clear pictures of Finnish soldiers,) but the Finns did ally themselves with the Germans in order to regain of of the territory that they lost to the Soviets in the Winter War (1939.) They fought with the Germans through '44 (Continuation War.) In '44 - '45 they fought against the Germans to drive them out of Finland (Lapland War.)

The Finnish side of WWII is actually pretty interesting. They fared remarkably well with virtually nothing. Hell, the Finns actually loved the Brewster Buffalo while every other country that used it scorned it. I think that speaks volumes about what they had to work with. Interestingly, a Finnish Brewster has more kills logged in it than any other aircraft in aviation history (40 someodd kills, IIRC.)

*edit:

Oh yeah. I'm looking forward to this mod. tounge_o.gif

I enjoy flying for the Finns in Il-2, so it'll be nice to see a bit of the ground war as well.

Well, the why that suit looks like a german is because our civil war. During Civil war germans made landing to Helsinki to capture it from reds. Also we sended 1000 volunteer mens to germany to learn to become soldier (jaeger). During that time, we we're still under control by russia, but when Lenin rised to lead the country, Finland got it's independency (1917). During the same year (1917-1918) we fought the civil war, where communists (reds) and the goverments forces (whites/democratic) fought in southern Finland. Just before ending of this war the finnish jaegers came back and also germany gave their help in the fights. Hope you'll understand, I'll give you a link when I find a good one.

And about FDFmod thing; FDFmods official answer to these kind of requests is:

Quote[/b] ]Hi there, we don´t mind if you use FDF mod objects on your island but there are certain rules that you must follow in order to use them.

1. You don´t separate the objects from their original pbo´s.

2. You don´t include FDF objects in your own pbo´s.

3. You don´t distribute any FDF pbo´s in your island pack.(no copying and no renaming)

So this way your island requires FDF 1.3 to work.

So we mind that players who want to play our mod, should have FDFmod's newest version. And many people who only play WW2 stuff don't have FDFmod 1.3 (maybe 1.0). That's why.

Thanks for your feedback. I'll get back when we something else maybe bit readier.

Within World War 2 Finland was invovled in 3 seperate wars

1: Finland vs Russia

2: Finland and Germany vs Russia

3: Finland and Russia vs Germany

You are correct (just replace Russia with the Soviet Union), some more basic info:

1. 1939-1940 Winter War

2. 1941-1944 Continuation War

3. 1944-1945 Lapland War

Finland in WW2 summary link

One of my grandfathers was a mechanic in the wars, my other grandfather served at the front until being deafened for weeks or something...one of my friend's grandfathers fell out of his bunk bed the first day (?) at the front, he hurt himself so bad that he was shipped home. wink_o.gif

Heh, my grandfather's brother (granduncle?) was wounded twice. He fought in all of those 3 wars. And another brother went over board twice in Gulf of Finland while serving as sailor.  Bit offtopic tounge_o.gif

Anyway, good luck with your mod.  wink_o.gif

Hello and back to this topic. We have made all of our models and textures better, we currently have almost everything that will go for infantry side of both side. Everything in our side is looking really great and I'm ashamed that I can't show you everything, these are just little peaks. We have lots of things done and everything I posted earlier doesen't reperisent the current state of the addons. Keep an watching eye on our website and at our forums (especially!). Good night, good luck! (I shut my mouth for awhile now and show some great pics)

Kasapanos 2 kg

Kasapanos 4 kg home made

M/32 grenade

They didnt have much choice, Stalin kept attacking them, I think the allies might have made some verbal protest during the war but thats all. The finns fought well, there ski troops were very good.

The reason theres russian equipment in the modern finnish army and the reason its a Defense Force, not an army is because of ww2. (I think)

The finns used stukas in this war right?

The reason theres russian equipment in the modern finnish army and the reason its a Defense Force, not an army is because of ww2. (I think)

I'm pretty sure it was called puolustusvoimat (=Defence forces) even before WW2.

Quote[/b] ]The finns used stukas in this war right?

Well technically no, but Germany did send a large Stuka force to operate out of Finland and provide CAS for Finnish and German troops on that front. The Stukas were very effective at destroying Russian tanks and made life a lot easier for the ground troops.

Finally a mod that makes ww2 finnish troops! biggrin_o.gif

And by the looks of it they are actually getting something done unlike some new mods that slowly die away.

Your work looks very nice. Not bad quality at all! wink_o.gif

I'm pretty sure it was called puolustusvoimat (=Defence forces) even before WW2.

I've always thought that defence forces -name was given after WWII.

And finnish pilots flew stukas, but Finland didn't never payed for the stukas.

Yeap, great work guys. Sad that I don't get to try them anymore... wink_o.gif

The Finnish military has German roots. The first military units, after we became independent, were trained by people that had received military training in Germany during our civil war. The clothing simply followed the same Prussian style as the organization. During the Winter War and Continuation War the Finnish military used at least half a dozen different types of helmets, including German, Swedish and American helmets.

Finland has always been looking up to germany. I guess they tried to find something other than Swedish and Russian which both had occupied Finland. Didn't Finland even choose a german noble to become the king of Finland but it never became a reality?

Finland was also the only country Hitler visited without invading it. During one of those visits (1942 I think) Hitler's plane was very close to hitting a chimney in the dens fog. I guess history might have turned out different if the plane would have crashed.

The Finnish troops fought well but the truth is that they were quite lucky against a Soviet army that underestimated them and which was poorly organized. It was the problems which Soviet encountered in crushing Finland that got them to upgrade and reorganize their army which later beat the German army. Without the setback during the winter war Germany wouldn't had much problems defeating Soviet. Soviet lost 250.000 men and the same amount got wounded, Finland 'only' lost 25.000 men..

Well in winter war soviets undersestimated us and send only poorly equipped and trained men from the soviet states. Stalin had just executed many officers so that didnt help. In continuation war soviets would have quite easily crushed Finland but luckily they were more interested in Berlin than Helsinki.

So they forced us to ceasefire so they didnt have another hostile nation to deal with.

and after that they "forced" us to drive the germans away. the germans retreated through lapland and burned it to ground and made it a hell of a minefield. after the war hundreds of soldiers were killed or wounded defusing those mines.

definately not 100% accurate so feel free to correct it :P

and btw those pics look great

I think Finland would be speaking German to this day had Hitler actually not tried to fight the entire world at the same time.

Finland was rather lucky against the Soviets and Germany.

Yep, in Winter war, soviet's thought that they could get to Helsinki in 3 months. After 104 days of mostly trench war, they decided to make a peace. There were other things why they made a peace, including pressure from Britan and French.

In Continuation war, Finland was in a bad situation. Fighting together with germans, Britan said in 1944 that they would start a war against Finland if Finalnd wouldn't stop fighting against Soviet's. So lot's of political game in Finland.

If I remember right, it wen't this way (the way that Finland got itself out of the war): president Risto Ryti assigned a contract with germans that Finland wouldn't make peace with soviet union without Hitler's perpimission. Only but was that in the contract there was Ryti's name, not Finland's. So after resigning from his work as a president, Finland was able to start making peace with Soviet Union.

I hope you understand what I mean... wink_o.gif Lot's of confussing text...

The finnish army was renamed to defence forces in the 60s when the official policy was that Finland would not ally itself with any major power unless attacked.

There are 2 main reasons why modern finnish military has so much former eastern bloc equipment:

1. Finlandization, during the cold war we had to constantly be proving to the soviet union that we would not ally ourselves with NATO. In practice this meant very careful and controlled foreign policy and weapon purchases from the Soviet union.

2. The fall of the eastern bloc, when germanies reunited they had quite a lot of cheap eastern surplus stuff. Guess where they ended up? wink_o.gif

Finland was also the only country Hitler visited without invading it. During one of those visits (1942 I think) Hitler's plane was very close to hitting a chimney in the dens fog. I guess history might have turned out different if the plane would have crashed.

Yes, the Germans might actually have won if Hitler had died at that time.

I think Finland would be speaking German to this day had Hitler actually not tried to fight the entire world at the same time.

Finland was rather lucky against the Soviets and Germany.

Very lucky. If Germany hadn't invaded the Soviet Union, we would be speaking Russian. If Germany had won, we would be speaking German. I doubt that our leaders back then could have foreseen it, but joining the side that was going to lose was what ultimately saved us. Had we joined the Soviet Union against Germany, we would have ended up on the wrong side of the Iron Curtain.