Sign in to follow this  
MilitiaSniper

Help me understand.

It is closely connected to what is called Burger Economics which can tell you wheither a currency is over- or undervalued.

Isn't that where you compare how many minutes the average person has to work in different countries to buy a Big Mac?

(I'm serious)

Interesting trivia by the way; A country that has had a MacDonalds, never wemt to war that had a macdonalds.

So in order to stabilize the world,and promote a longalasting peace, we should build a MacDonalds in every country!

Well as Soul Assassin pointed out, the US has a national debt of over $7 TRILLION.....And GDP is essentially meaningless unless you convert it to GDP per Capita.

And lets look where that leaves us?

http://www.geographyiq.com/ranking....p25.htm

Simple message, dont try and beat an Economist by trying to play the figures. smile_o.gif You'll get stung every time.

Ridiculous.

So are you inferring that Luxembourg has more economic power than the United States, and Bermuda, The Cayman Islands, San Marino, Norway, and Switzerland are all right behind the U.S. in World economic clout?

You are an economist??

There you Americans go with that "Wealthiest and most powerfull" stuff again  tounge_o.gif

What about this truth bothers non-americans? I'm talking economically, which I think is pretty good measuring stick for world political power.

Here is a good link which spells it out.

Bringing up "Wealthiest and most powerfull stuff" is not a matter or pride or arrogance, it's a matter of fact. Note that I never said that Americans Enjoy the highest quaility of life in the world. Raw economic power and quality of life have little do with each other.

Sum the EU countries, and you'll see that the European Common Market is stronger. Not to mention that the data in the link is outdated (2000) Take GDP/capita and you'll see that EU still comes on top thanks to the toilet-value of the dollar (pre-expansion values, I'm not sure about the GDP/capita for the 25 state EU).

Anyway, apart from being wrong, the argument is pretty much irrelevant. Luxemburg has in modern history always been the richest country in the world (per capita) and you don't see them as a target for resentment. And the people there have the same, if not more rights. So I think we can write off 'wealth' as a factor,

As for power - sure. The US is undeniably the strongest power in the world. And history has shown that other countries usually gang up against the strongest. Not without a reason though. It's not because of your military per se that people have a problem. It's for what you do with the military.

edit: Not that it's relevant, but here's from a previous discussion:

Quote[/b] ]

US government source.

Quote[/b] ]The combined economies of the current EU are slightly smaller than the U.S. economy ($9.6 trillion purchasing power parity gross domestic product (GDP) for the EU in 2002 versus $10.1 trillion for the United States), while the EU population of 379 million significantly exceeds the U.S. population of 289 million. With ten new countries expected to join next year, both the EU's population and its combined GDP will grow (The combined GDP of the EU and the 10 accession countries reached an estimated $10.4 trillion in 2002; see Table 1). The United States has extensive trade relations with the EU. In 2002, 21% of U.S. exports ($144 billion) went to EU members, and 19% of U.S. imports ($226 billion) originated in EU countries.

Incidentally $9.6 trillion = 11.2 trillion euros (2002 value) = $14.1 trillion (today's value).

In 2002 euro/dollar = 0.85 today euro/dollar = 1.25.

Even if you take into account that the EU has a larger population:

14.1 trillion/ 390 million = 36,000 USD/capita (EU)

10.1 trillon/290 million = 34,000 USD /capita (USA)

Note however that this is for the 15 pre-expansion states. I havn't got any data for the post-expansion situation. We do have a larger GDP than the US, but the GDP/capita I can't say.

Sum the EU countries, and you'll see that the European Common Market is stronger. Not to mention that the data in the link is outdated (2000) Take GDP/capita and you'll see that EU still comes on top thanks to the toilet-value of the dollar...

Which is why I like the idea of an EU Military. It would help to balance the power in the world and keep certain politicians in the U.S. from being so "trigger happy".

Hi all

I like many citizens of the US get very angry when George Bush Jnr. and his NeoConMen Chicken Hawks try to hide behind the US flag, US citizens and the Honour of US soldiers like a spoilt child behind its mothers skirt.

It seems they cry why does the world hate America far too often in order hide from their own citizens.

The thing they are trying to hide behind their oh so false patriotism is that many in the rest of the world are angry at TBA. Not at America.

I often hear the same question put the other way why does America Hate Muslims both questions are equaly as stupid.

Some dumb people in the world hate America. Some dumb citizens of the USA hate Muslims. TBA and Al Qaida both use that to whip up their respective idiots. See look they hate us they both say you had better give us your money so we can protect you. Protection rackets never change their tactics.

Wht you can say is that many in the rest of the world are angry at TBA's lieing to them on Iraq. TBA's tendency to throw international agreements out the window and TBA's tendency to vilify other nations when they wont put up with the tantrums. Freedom Fries etc. A case in point the French were right by the way but has there been apology?

Me I dont hate geography America is Geography.

Me I dont hate Americans Most Americans do not live in the USA I could never hate a couple of continents of people.

Me I dont hate the USA it is a political construct based on the Democracy system better than most worse than some.

Me I dont hate the citizens of the United States I could never hate a bunch of people signed up to the same political construct. To a certain extent they are free to leave it so it does not hold them prisoner. Most of citizens of the United States seem happy there.

As has already been said the superiority complex is to a European a bit annoying but only in so far as we used to do it.

America is not that wealthy most americans are about as wealthy as the average European. So The Europeand dot feel jealous.

Generaly speaking Swedes and the average Spaniard or Northern Italian, Dutch, Belgian and german is more wealthy and has a better life style than their average American counter part.

The average Brit is bit below the average US Citizen's material wealth but we all have digital phones which most americans dont we have, a higher percentage of broadband connectivity. We all have free health care. Cable TV costs less here and we all have digital terestial TV.

Neither the Average European nor US citizen is any where near as wealthy as the average Singaporean or Swiss.

Strategicly the present lot dont know their a*se from their elbow. They have made strategic errors that have left the rest of the world more dangerous than ever but the blame for that is on TBA and not the USA. The Iraq war was more about winning the November election by letting george say he was war president (Hey George that one bit you in the Ass hard) and digging Dodgy Dick Cheney's bakrupt Halliburton out of a bankruptcy hole ,than it was about freedom, WMD, or terrorism. We all know that now and we await the American electorate doing the right thing.

Kind Regards Walker

Well as Soul Assassin pointed out, the US has a national debt of over $7 TRILLION.....And GDP is essentially meaningless unless you convert it to GDP per Capita.

Simple message, dont try and beat an Economist by trying to play the figures.  smile_o.gif  You'll get stung every time.

Ridiculous.

So are you inferring that Luxembourg has more economic power than the United States, and Bermuda, The Cayman Islands, San Marino, Norway, and Switzerland are all right behind the U.S. in World economic clout?

You are an economist??

No, it's just showing that people in Luxembourg are technically better off than your average American.

Which is why I like the idea of an EU Military. It would help to balance the power in the world and keep certain politicians in the U.S. from being so "trigger happy".

Personally I'd much rather see cooperation. With sane people on both sides, we could do an excellent good cop/bad cop routine. The EU comes with a nice diplomatic carrot, while the US brings the big bad stick. It does however work under the assumption that the country playing 'bad cop' doesn't get carried away. Bush is typically an obstacle in such a cooperation.

Actually, yes Toadlife, thats why i recognise that posting PPP GDP is total BS if you dont qualify it into a meaningful value by finding out GDP per head.....remember GDP is output per worker within that countries borders.....so if you had a population of 100 billion people all making 100 dollars per year, you would have a large GDP, but hell, your country would be considered 3rd world....thus having the largest GDP does NOT equal being the wealthiest country in the world.....

Understand?  rock.gif

Or are you going to be exactly what we've been describing, the American who cannot accept statistics that prove his country isnt necessarily the best?

I was tempted to say what Denoir said, that the sum of the EU countries, with a similar (slightly larger though) population, has a stronger clout, but i thought you'd say "yeah but the EU isnt a country"  tounge_o.gif

Simple message, dont try and beat an Economist by trying to play the figures.  smile_o.gif  You'll get stung every time.

Ridiculous.

You are an economist??

No, it's just showing that people in Luxembourg are technically better off than your average American.

Thank you. smile_o.gif

I didn't think this topic. Would turn into a economics discussion.

Sincerely, MilitiaSniper

"OFF the WALL Team"

unclesam.gifunclesam.gifunclesam.gifunclesam.gif

Sorry biggrin_o.gif When someone waves a flag infront of me (GDP statistics) i charge tounge_o.gif

thus having the largest GDP does NOT equal being the wealthiest country in the world.....

Understand? rock.gif

I completely understand, and stand by my original point. perhaps you should reread my two posts on page three.

Or are you going to be exactly what we've been describing, the American who cannot accept statistics that prove his country isnt necessarily the best?

Again, you are have completely missed the point I was making, and now seem to be putting words in my mouth. There is nothing more I can add, as I have already made my point back on page three.

I didn't think this topic. Would turn into a economics discussion.

Hey, here's a question that's not about economics. smile_o.gif

Certain "administration, or governments!" piss me off.

Could you elaborate just a little? rock.gif

I think it's great that so many folks from beyond America's borders made significant efforts here to compose some reasonable answers to your question - in English.  Most of us are probably just as curious about your feelings and the reasons behind them as you were about ours.

ME putting words in YOUR mouth  wow_o.gif

I read your post 3 pages ago. In it you state your opinion as a fact:

Quote[/b] ]and the fact that my country is the wealthiest and most powerful on Earth at this moment

Well we've already shown that the USA is not the wealthiest country in the world....you agreed yourself that a large GDP does not mean a wealthy country (see my fictional 100bn people example a page back if anyone else is wondering what i mean)....

...the most powerfull? Well thats purely opinion. Its my opinion that China could take the USA if the two ever came head to head (discount allies, we are talking country vs country), but does that make China the most powerful nation in the world? No, because its just an opinion. And unless the world has a gigantic war to see who is the most powerful, then its unprovable and therefore just an opinion.

Quote[/b] ]What about this truth bothers non-americans? I'm talking economically, which I think is pretty good measuring stick for world political power.

Again, you present an opinion as fact. Yes i did read your first posts.....thats why i commented upon the resurgent US opinion that they are the wealthiest and most powerful nation in the world......

....don't get me wrong, i dont hate you at all, nothing of the sort, but its this sort of attitude (but without the self critisism of your country that you personally stated) that i think annoys alot of other western nations.....

...if you want to know why people are annoyed/hate/dislike the USA you have to listen to things like this  smile_o.gif  not just argue about them....i mean, whats the point in you being here "to understand" if i'm saying "It annoys alot of people that Americans say they are the best" for you to go "but we are!" .....because thats just ignoring things you should be learning off

And no, i did not miss the point you were making....the point you were making was that your opinion was that the USA is the wealthiest and most powerful nation on earth, but in your view, this wasnt the reason for the USA being disliked......however, I am pointing out that its that sort of statement which contributes .

to keep on topic, i will give a example (what people dislike about US politics, witch is the main view)

bush keeping on about evil countries, criminal countries and then giving the criteria. criteria with also make the US it self a evil state rock.gif

Its disgusting how people in other countires treat amreicans just for beign american. I knew a guy who took a bike trip through europe and got treasted like crap until they put a candian flag on thier backpack. It is not becasue of George W Bush, ppl hated america LONG before that so dont even pull that shit, espeically u democrats, you know how many ppl hated US with your beloved clinton. It comes down to this ppl just join the bandwagon of what they think will be best for them, which now a days comes down to hate usa or support usa. Personaly i dont care who likes us or dislikes us casue i only care about the actual individauals. If they dont like me JUST becasue im american then fuckem, i'll go to the next house and see if they are any different.

I can't say I have ever treated an American badly, but I can certainly understand people who do.... During me and my familys trip through Europe last year we ofcourse saw alot of people from different countries. And some Americans seemed very imposing and almost got offended themselves if people did not understand what they were trying to say. Again this doesn't go for all Americans, the morepart are probably very nice.

But it's the same with racism, people see a certain population group commiting a crime or they meet someone from that population group who do them wrong in other ways. Thus they generalize and develop prejudice....

Its disgusting how people in other countires treat amreicans just for beign american. I knew a guy who took a bike trip through europe and got treasted like crap until they put a candian flag on thier backpack. It is not becasue of George W Bush, ppl hated america LONG before that so dont even pull that shit, espeically u democrats, you know how many ppl hated US with your beloved clinton. It comes down to this ppl just join the bandwagon of what they think will be best for them, which now a days comes down to hate usa or support usa. Personaly i dont care who likes us or dislikes us casue i only care about the actual individauals. If they dont like me JUST becasue im american then fuckem, i'll go to the next house and see if they are any different.

so much for the point of ignorance.

EDIT:

Oh and maybe the person who was treated so badly had some flaws in his behaviour. As Goob pointed out. Americans hav a reputation of disrespectful behaviour. And it's not only prejudice. Many (by far not all) US tourists do behave wrong or show bad attitude. For example. If I, as a Swiss citizen, would go to france and show no effort of trying to say some basic things (hello, goodbye, thank you, ...) in french and I would show an attitude of superiority towards the french people I would be treated like shit too probably. But I know how much pride the french have and it's a bad idea to show disrespect towards them. And as a guest you should show at least basic decency.

I can hardly believe that you get treated like shit only by showing that you're american. There are plenty of americans living in Europe and plenty of people wearing USA T-Shirts. Of course it might provoke some commets but generally the people don't care.

Can't be worse than all the shit that has been flung at the french lately.

I don't think people anywhere really like tourists unless you're somehow making money off of them tounge_o.gif

at that moment i do agree with all the reasons given to dislike Bush administration. I do not hate american people, like i do not hate North korean people or whatever other people. I do really hate the way a lot of americans (from what i read, saw and heard) are not allowing people to criticize the policy of their country. And the worst thing is when americans are criticizing their country and are treated like they have betrailed it.:(

I do not hate american people.What they can accept from their administration just scares me, how can they give some of their individual rights thinking it will make their country safer?rock.gifcrazy_o.gif

@Sgt.Stryker

i don't think USA were so hated when Clinton was president. USA made me laugh a lot with the Monica lewinsky story. From my experience, i as a french had also to face some bad behaviour from american guys just because i was french and i found it stupid. In every places you'll find stupid people, but thinking all europeans will treat americans like crap because of their nationality is an other stupid short-cut.

To go on topic, i really don't like the way Bush explains the world as two alternatives: the good end the evil. You're on american side, you're fighting for the good. You don't support USA you're with evil. That's exactly the way the governments or regimes bush is fighting explain the world to their citizens or supporters.

The question of this topic is "why people hate america?" I guess it's also because Bush's administration thought that the world would be stupid enough to think that Irak could attack USA in 45 minutes, that they have WMD, that USA was going there to bring freedom and to spread democracy all-over the middle-east.

I really hope that Bush won't win next elections cause If he wins it i think the misunderstanding between USA and their best allie, Europe, will grow bigger and bigger.

I like what MilitiaSniper started with this topic: he stops saying "Oh My God!! the whole world hates my country!! But why that???there's no reason!!!" and he tries to understand what happened and the way the others see his country and his administration.

I hope such discussion will help to show that american people is not hated but that his "friends" are scared and anxious about what Bush is doing in their name.

PS: i hope nobody gets offended by what i xrote cause it's not what i wanted.

greetings

Laulau, french guy who likes USA but not its policy.

The scary thing is the ammount of warheads u guys have. Russia might have more but really noone knows, not even the russian government  biggrin_o.gif. If it is possible to elect someone as stupid as Bush (which I sencerely believe was a election fraud) then there is a odd chance that next time it will be a clever guy...u know...the new Hitler, or Antichrist or whatever, and whatdyaknow he has over 4000 warheads at his disposal. It makes me shiver every time I thik about it.

"They [terrorists] will not stop untill they bring this country down....and neither will we" - George Dubya Bush jr.

Edit:

just another story from me: I live in The Hague, Netherlands, but I grew up in Russia so naturally my English has a tiny tiny accent. I went to an International School here for 7 years but we also have an American School The Hague (ASH). Let me tell u somethin about ASH. It is forbidden territory for foreigners like me because they are 0 tolerated. Linguistics and cultures come under direct attack by fellow students.

I wouldnt say I hate America as I have a lot of real life friends that live there.. (However.. An obvious idiot like Bush that can be freely elected is worrying....)

Thankfully they are great guys. But I'm sick of the minority that say 'hey man we saved your asses in the war' and 'mannnnn what is the score with Europe.. how come they don't all speak English?'.. and that is a totally true line of conversation I heard on holiday in the Carribbean one time..

Another thing...

you go online.. and you all say where you're from..

One guy says.. "Paris"

Other guy says "London"

Another says "Frankfurt"

American says "IL"

I mean.. How many people know what IL is??  Its like USA is the centre of the universe sometimes...  wink_o.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock

I thought I'd lob an opinion in here.

I've spent a lot of time travelling, Europe mid east, far east and North America. Everywhere you go attitudes are different. Attitudes to those attitudes are different.

I can say I don’t unilaterally people en masse or nations, countries etc. But I do hate bad attitudes and arrogance. Most nationalities have a different 'national/regional attitude'. In some countries the attitude you would normally use with other people isn't acceptable. I've seen it happen on several occasions.

I will say my own experience with some Americans is that the attitude they use isn’t always well received. It may not be intended but it often get perceived as arrogant and condescending.

I think its the same for US International policy, all you have to do is objectively look at the media in the countries that the US has trade issues with. You'll see that quite often the US is often seen as Pushy, arrogant, dictatorial and overbearing.

A lot of people in Europe and the Far east I dealt with professionally, dislike the US because they are being forced to comply US trade and economic policy else they get elbowed out of the market place. Or stomped all over in other ways. Regardless of what people may say about the US' history of peacemaking and economic prowess, there is also a long history of pressurising other countries into "doing it the American way".

It takes along time for attitudes to change, it also takes a good reason. Iraq, WMD and George Bush aren’t helping change anyone's attitude to Iraq.

Personally I agreed with going into Iraq, not for WMD. Simply removing a fascist murderous Dictator (I served in the first Gulf War) but I also saw that it would turn rapidly into another US led "Vietnam" because the guy in charge of that lovely shiny red button isn’t up to holding off and gaining full international support. Who knows how different it might be if the UN led the coalition? Nigerian Troops in Faluja? Dutch, Czech, German, Japanese. Maybe if the 'world' stood up and said "Citizens of Iraq, we'd like to help you get your own country back to live how you like" instead of "The US is here to Protect you, stabilise your nation to support US interests in the region" things might have been different.

Simply by standing up and saying (This isn’t a quote) 'I don’t care if you all disagree, (America) is going to stop terrorism and Iraq is a Terrorist hideout. We're going in.' Bush's actions underlined the concerns of a lot of other nations and their citizens. The US doesn’t obey international law. It ignores world wide agreements (Kyoto accord etc) because it risks losing a few decimal places in its finances.

I think the world is getting tired of listening to "We don’t care we'll do it on our own anyway." If the US wants to change people's attitude toward it really needs to step back and cooperate with the rest of the world community.