Sign in to follow this  
red oct

Close Combat: First to Fight

at first i thought this was a crappy clone of the already proven crappy Full Spectrum Warrior. but its actually a squad based FPS like RB6. looks like it might just be worth my time. other OFP, there are no other military games that have held much interest. i've never played any of the older Close Combat games, but if i recall didn't they make mainly stradegy games? i remember one about the Eastern Front in WWII. well anyway their main site, www.closecombat.com/ didn't have a whole lot of info other than one pic, press info, and a brief history on some of their other games. there are more pics at Gamespot. another thing that might make this interesting, Marines who served tours in Afghanistan and Iraq are assisting in development. there is also another CC game in development called "Red Phoenix" though i haven't found any info on it other than its based off of some novel.

Red Phoenix is based off of the novel by Larry Bond with the same name. Essentially, the North Koreans invade the South.

It's quite a good book and should still be available in or from most English-language bookstores or our old friend Amazon.

Our Bushfires mod was originally inspired by Vortex (also by Larry Bond). It's the book that got many of us interested in South African military capabilities.

Hmmm I was reading somthing and that said, with cooperation of the Corps, that this was acctually a training tool rock.gif (Gamespot?)

yea thats what they said. it'll be kinda like VBS-1 only except it will focus on urban combat. it might worth looking into. as far as i know, there hasn't been any military games that featured the oldest branch of the U.S. military.

I was a big fan of Close Combat 2+3 so I'm certainly interested to see what they can come up with now.

Love CC 5 (didn't like 2nd, the rest I haven't played) but the games doesn't seem to have very much in common. rock.gif

Anyway, seems like it's gonna be a cool game, with the CC title or not.

haha, it has that funny (but quite common) engine that makes soldiers' legs "click" into consecutive staircase steps. I get this impression too in Far Cry: it's like the characters are hopping from one static animation into another. game itself looks interesting though.

haha, it has that funny (but quite common) engine that makes soldiers' legs "click" into consecutive staircase steps. I get this impression too in Far Cry: it's like the characters are hopping from one static animation into another. game itself looks interesting though.

hehe, I wonder whether you have seen this America's Army movie, Marines' legs and Army SF's look quite similar biggrin_o.gif

http://tscholastique.free.fr/DeltaFr....sh).wmv

I was rather disappointed when I found out it was more of a shooter than a strategy game. I've played and loved every Close Combat game from A Bridge Too Far to Invasion Normandy (especially when I get the Gold Juno Sword mod for CC5 to work), and have been hoping that they'd make a modern or at least Cold War one for ages.

I'll stick to sending my rifle section through that hedgerow while the platoon MG team lays down suppression fire on that German-occupied farmhouse rather than bothering with this rather weak-looking shooter.

I got to play the beta of this game about a month ago.

Without going into detail, the game was terrible. Imagine walking down a corridor and shooting pop-up targets and you have CC:F2F. It certainly doesn't compare to VBS or OFP and is really similar to Rainbow 6, but with Marpat.

There's nothing new or interesting about this title. I strongly suggest any of you thinking about buying this play a demo first.

I was rather disappointed when I found out it was more of a shooter than a strategy game. I've played and loved every Close Combat game from A Bridge Too Far to Invasion Normandy (especially when I get the Gold Juno Sword mod for CC5 to work), and have been hoping that they'd make a modern or at least Cold War one for ages.

I'll stick to sending my rifle section through that hedgerow while the platoon MG team lays down suppression fire on that German-occupied farmhouse rather than bothering with this rather weak-looking shooter.

I love Invasion Normandy! I was actually intrigued at first at this title, becauase it sounded like Brothers in Arms except modern-day. BIA looks really promising to me, but I have heard a lot of bad reviews from people who have tried CC:F2F.

By the way, could you PM me the link to that mod for CC5 Kooky biggrin_o.gif? Thanks.

I did get to play a modern USMC version of CC5, I think. It was the traditional top-down CC game but with LAVs, AAAVs, etc.

It was cool, except I think the AI was disabled or something. It just stayed in a corner not moving. crazy_o.gif

That sounds like Close Combat Marines, Atomic developed it for the USMC as a training aide. Pretty much impossible to get hold of. Full of bugs too, or so I hear.

yea thats what they said. it'll be kinda like VBS-1 only except it will focus on urban combat. it might worth looking into. as far as i know, there hasn't been any military games that featured the oldest branch of the U.S. military.

This is nothing like VBS1, its just MOH with slighly better graphics, there are no vehicles that you can mount over than being a gunner on a rail and everything is a corridor, after playing it for a few minutes you start to feel like you have tunnel vision.

In short:

Save your money.

Notin' new looking. But since its pretty I'm sure it'll spawn 4 sequels, a spin off, and bought by the US military for training and commercial use.

Notin' new looking. But since its pretty I'm sure it'll spawn 4 sequels, a spin off, and bought by the US military for training and commercial use.

From all the info i have gathered the USMC is not pleased with them at all, they are consistently missing deadlines and going over budget. Where VBS1 is consistently giving them a superior product for the money and does not miss deadlines or go over budget.

I doubt it will be replace VBS1 as a training tool for the US Military.

Well some say it sucks but what else is out there to play, i mean fireteam wise with proper cqb, formations and room clearing? No reason to compare this to OPF i guess, i think the marines would have trouble training urban combat tactics and cqb in VBS1 but i still think RL training is where all this stuff belongs, Flashpoint handles the only stuff worth going thru 3d simulation most problably, like logistics, deployment and movement, navigation, blabla.

I see close combat has an advertising tool and nothing more smile_o.gif .

Forgive the duplicate post but Placebo suggested it was better to combine threads.

Well I've played about four levels of the game and wanted to share my thoughts and see what other OFPers thought.

As with most of these recent titles it seems to be a mixed bag.

On the technical front it runs like a dog on my 2.6Ghz, even worse than Doom 3 though turning off shadows helped a great deal. Also as with so many of these cross platform games levels are small and linear, you can't go far before you hit a load point.

Even more so than Brothers in Arms the tactical element really doesn't come into it much, you can usually get through it playing like a conventional FPS. That said the AI teammates provide cover and support pretty solidly most of the time and move well through the streets scanning their surroundings. Occasionally when entering rooms they do seem to leave me on my own sometimes.

Graphics and sound are OK but nothing special. Of course I've turned so many graphics options off I'm not a fair judge.

The one area I do think it scores in is the 3D ( or 4D as the marines call it ) environment. I don't think I've played another urban shooter where you have to be so aware of rooftops and balconies. Attacks can and do come from everywhere and you frequently find yourself fighting in several directions at one. More than any other game I can think of FTF breaks the idea of a flat playfield.

Also not played enough to see much of it but like SWAT 3+4 it has a psychology model which means the enemy will fall back or surrender. Like most aspect of the game it seems less than fully realised but I did have one mission refuse to advance until I figured out the last enemy had been injured and had run away and hidden in a far corner.

All in all I think its better than BiA but hardly a classic and I think another game which has had its promise diluted by the shortcomings of cross platform development.

Anybody else given it a shot yet.

I don't think I've played another urban shooter where you have to be so aware of rooftops and balconies. Attacks can and do come from everywhere and you frequently find yourself fighting in several directions at one.

Delta Force: Black Hawk Down already had this I think 2 years ago... wink_o.gif