Sign in to follow this  
-ZG-BUZZARD

Far Cry military modding

I was just wondering, with the SDK finally out, if anybody from this community was also involved in any military modding project of Far Cry... I've got a couple of buddies which could be interested in starting a mod for it...

Hmm, speaking of Far Cry Mods I should scope out what's going in the way of Far Cry mods at the moment.

I would say it's realistic, but he engine does'nt have any special code that would allow a vehicle/warlike enviorment like OFP does.

The choppers work too good to be true in that game, meaning they must be scripted.

I would say it's realistic, but he engine does'nt have any special code that would allow a vehicle/warlike enviorment like OFP does.

The choppers work too good to be true in that game, meaning they must be scripted.

You could say its realistic, but then you'd be totally wrong. Its not realistic at all. Its like quake on a beach. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing; its just not realistic/ suited for making a realistic mod. The physics are too simple, the weapon code is too simple, etc.

Its far more like OFP than Quake, take a look in the sandbox editor, reminds me of WRPedit, O2 and the ingame mission editor all in one wink_o.gif

I agree with Gadger. The FarCry engine is suited for a reallistic game. About the arcade weapons etc well... that's where a MOD comes in wink_o.gif

Specop9, pretty much everything in FarCry is scripted, even the AI has lots of scripting and boundraries defined (like forbidden areas, defined objects as cover etc). Still works pretty well though. But I must say, there's a lot of work involved in getting the AI to behave like it does in the single-player missions (alot more than placing waypoints).

Damage-model on objects needs to be remodelled if possible. That's for sure. There is atleast two "tactical realism mods" in the working for FarCry. Atleast one of them aims for full battlefield (land-, sea- and air-vehicles etc)

I'd like to see that, and with a nice frame rate too. I'd guess an urban or open battlefield (ie not a lot of swaying vegitation eating up CPU cycles) would be smoother than running around in a jungle. But having said that MP is pretty lag free (graphic wise) compared to SP.

The engine has potential mind. If handled well it could make for a very good realistic military mod.

But having said that MP is pretty lag free (graphic wise) compared to SP.

Most of the physics are disabled in MP...

You could say its realistic, but then you'd be totally wrong.  Its not realistic at all.  Its like quake on a beach. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing; its just not realistic/ suited for making a realistic mod.  The physics are too simple, the weapon code is too simple, etc.

So basically you know nothing about the game, the engine supports everything you would need to make a Realistic Military mod and the physics are much better then that of OFP.

And you can disable body armor and running over weapons to pick ammo? And replace ugly crosshair with sight and add ballistics? And better looking weapons and vehicals and tone down toon colors a bit maybe?

Sounds like alot of work.

wouldnt be suited to large open long range areas, as ppl tend to dissapear over distance, tho if u use a zoomed thing like scope or nocs they can be seen.

IIRC FarCry supports max 2048 meters viewdistance also. Not really that much considering OFP beat that over a year ago.

IIRC FarCry supports max 2048 meters viewdistance also. Not really that much considering OFP beat that over a year ago.

No, thats just terrain. The player and to a lesser extent vehicle models aren't rendered at that distance.

So basically you know nothing about the game, the engine supports everything you would need to make a Realistic Military mod and the physics are much better then that of OFP.

So basically you are a Far Cry fanboy and can't stand that some people don't like it?

The engine does not have as good physics as OFP, or many other games. It's just not that good.

The engine does not have as good physics as OFP, or many other games.  It's just not that good.

Are you serious?  wow_o.gif

OFP's physics are terrible compared to FarCry's.

If there are two things FarCry has that OFP is missing then it has to be shaders and physics.

And no, I'm not a FC-fanboi.

Quote[/b] ]No, thats just terrain. The player and to a lesser extent vehicle models aren't rendered at that distance.

I know that. But you can change that too wink_o.gif

I'm not a Far Cry fan boy either, I hate the actual game but the cry engine has great potential.

i think far cry is one of the best singleplayer games.

there are many good looking mods coming in the near future smile_o.gif

maybe some of the talented ofp addonmakers can be inspired by them...

MODS:

Pandora Forces

Frontline Soldiers

Parallel Future

Citizen 132

Jedi Timeline

Drugwars

Xmodder

Green Devils: Crete 1941

Jurassic Park

Operation Bermuda

Trespassing

X-Isle

INCorporated (really good teaser)

FarCry Radio

First Operation

Starship Troopers

Far Gate

OP Archangel

btw. i´m a ofp, farcry and many others fanboy  biggrin_o.gif

edit:

COOP MOD smile_o.gif

FarCry Cooperation

Aah yes, I got the game just a week ago in conjunction with my new computer, I played the game almost a third through on medium settings and mediocre FPS until I really sat down and tweaked the resolution, AA and everything, then I realized I could have everything on High with smooth FPS and started the game over. tounge_o.gif

The only things I don't like about the game are some lame sound effects and a terribly clichéd plot, otherwise it's great.

fc05.jpg

fc03.jpg

Pics edited for HUD and crosshair...

Many things pain me about the (un)realism, I'm really looking forward to all these realism mods. wink_o.gif

huh where are all the mafia genre mods?

Btw: i have the following driver for ATI: 6.14.0010.6414

Does that run Far Cry, should i update them?

huh where are all the mafia genre mods?

Btw: i have the following driver for ATI: 6.14.0010.6414

Does that run Far Cry, should i update them?

You should always update your drivers no matter what (even if you aren't having problems, you will most probably get some performance boost), go download Catalyst 4.7 from ATI.com. smile_o.gif

The engine does not have as good physics as OFP, or many other games. It's just not that good.

Hahaha tounge_o.gif You are joking, right? rock.gif

You could say its realistic, but then you'd be totally wrong. Its not realistic at all. Its like quake on a beach. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing; its just not realistic/ suited for making a realistic mod. The physics are too simple, the weapon code is too simple, etc.

The same could be said about unreal tournament; but look at America's Army or mods like red orchestra. While they are not as close to ofp as realism goes, they are still capable of being somewhat realistic.