Sign in to follow this  
Scrub

Does OFP need an LCAC?

Hi all,

I've got inspired and have been practicing some units (getting buffed up to help NZXShadows @ USMC Mod) and went further than I really wanted on an LCAC.  Is there a need for one?  If there is, I'll finish it, and y'all will have to give me some input and guidance for the finished model.  Or I'll hand it off to a someone for texture / scripting.

Not sure how to post images (don't have a URL to goto sad_o.gif ). But, I'll email to anyone who will advise and do a bang-up job in textures/scripts.  I have used SolidWorks and 3Dstudio to get these into Oxygen, so I'm worried about too many details getting into the model.  Not there yet, but I noticed LOTSA ancillary equipment onboard (modeled off of LCAC's #91 and #17)

Thanks,

Scrub

OMG, since the first time i played a beach assault map with those damn PBR boats I realized how much we need an LCAC.

Any help I can provide will be there for ya.

yeah that would be cool but only if it could haul trucks and tanks

OK, Here's what I need to get this for you.  I need to post the images (don't know how), or email them to someone who has made addons before.  They need to comment on features, and the different models needed, such as doors, radar, the plenum chambers, rotors and rudders.  I'll need an experienced person to review and comment on the the poly levels (a novel is not needed  tounge_o.gif ).  I'm a design engineer and am used to modeling all the screws, flanges, rivets, ect. and have a horrible habit (for games) of over-engineering things.  biggrin_o.gif

I'm going to need help on scripting, for hauling vehicles.. Umm, on everything, really.  I'm a modeler. lol.

I've actually played with a russian hovercraft for ofp before. Got it from ofp.info.

I seem to recall that the Russian hovercraft didn't work too well.

Hopefully this one will work better.

An idea that I've been thinking about, for another addon, is to have control over whether the tires are damaged. This could serve to inflate and deflate car tires, and may have some application with a hovercraft concerning the air cushion. I've been assuming so far that it's possible to control the tire damage.

It worked. It floats in water, but has limited land moving capabilities. If thats what you're looking for is land capabilities then im sure you could model the thing to be like a bmp. I'm not saying don't make your own, im only giving you some inspiration and saying hey its been done you can do it, not only that but you can do it better.

i thought ive seen some screen shots of a model h.o iam gonna see if i can find it

nvm i'll look for it later

Quote[/b] ]Crowley Posted on July 19 2004,21:56

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote (BoweryBaker @ July 19 2004,18:15)

An idea that I've been thinking about, for another addon, is to have control over whether the tires are damaged.  This could serve to inflate and deflate car tires, and may have some application with a hovercraft concerning the air cushion.  I've been assuming so far that it's possible to control the tire damage.

BB, that's a great idea.  I really want to show off that feature, as it is what differentiates the LCAC from all other vessels.  Are you going to look into it a bit? (please please) wow_o.gif

I wonder what happened to that quote.

The deflation idea shouldn't be too hard to implement. The land and sea mobility shouldn't be too difficult, however BMPs slow down signifigantly on water, when a hovercraft wouldn't.

I had well and truely forgotten about the LCAC.

I put off making an LCAC yonks ago coz somebody else had started and it looked pretty good too.

Last I remember they were working out the vehicle class of it, boat or helo.

Can't think of who it was now. One of the members ??

Always wanted a LCAC so yes keep going!

It looks like the UMSC has one which transports stuff in VBS judging from a pic on the following page.

http://www.ctcorp.com/capability20.html

Given all the scripting would be the same i would have thought there is no reason why something similiar wouldnt work in OFP

That looks like the one I was thinking of.

If someone creates decent textures for it then I'm willing to make it transport vehicles and add some other scripting.

@Scrub:

What's the current poly count of model?

Does it allready have a complete set of LODs?

How about texture mapping?

Cool, I always wanted a LCAC in ofp and make it transport vehicles. That would be cool smile_o.gif

I had well and truely forgotten about the LCAC.

I put off making an LCAC yonks ago coz somebody else had started and it looked pretty good too.

Last I remember they were working out the vehicle class of it, boat or helo.

Can't think of who it was now. One of the members ??

Well we have the LCAC but work stopped on it ages ago - as soon as we have our Iraqi teaser out then i shall start moving work on the LCAC as the model is pretty much done and it has a few textures.

The only thing we will need help for it how to get it to work as a hovercraft so if anyone has ideas they can pm me.

Not sure how to post images (don't have a URL to goto sad_o.gif ).

Hey Scrub, try out ImageShack, that's a nice image-hosting site which allows linking to just about anything. (Beware of the 100kb imagesize limit or the pix won't show up sad_o.gif ).

I've been waiting forever for an LCAC to show up! The Zubr just doesn't cut in in any way!!!

Hi,

I guess configuring it as an APC would be best as the AI are happy to use it on land or water. The only problem is the APCs go so darn slow in the water...

I wonder if the Everon Cartel can help out with positioning the vehicle in relation to the water level, based on their great submarine? Ie. automatically setpos the LCAC always 1 metre above water when it is not on land ? (I've no idea what I'm talking about crazy_o.gif )

...then do the same once it's on land, and make the skirts have no geo or fire lod so it can go over obstacles. Simple!

Cheers,

Cornhelium

Thx,

Thats sounds like quite a good idea. I do remember someone was going to try and make the old Zubr hovercraft try and work buti haven't heard anything from that so thats why the LCAC has been put on hold for now.

there are a few possibilities on making a working hovercraft - each have their own pro's and con's - its all about the scripting smile_o.gif

Well, thanks for the input everybody, this seems like a charged idea. smile_o.gif

Crowley:  Sorry, the reason for the messed up quote is that I had been designing all day and just got home to check email.  I was a bit brain-drained.  crazy_o.gif

Thanks for looking into that so quickly.

[ZG]Buzzard: Thanks for the info, I'll try to post pics soon... Err, maybe I'll wait and see if RTR_Commander is going to start up again soon.

Romolus: I'll check on the poly levels (BTW, at what point does it start to make a performance hit?).  I'm only a modeler, I'll make some kickin textures too, but I don't know Oxygen.. I'll have to import, and as for LOD's, there are none.   sad_o.gif

lol, like I said, I can supply some really detailed models and text's, but I'll need some external support for the rest.  Consider my input as inital inspiration and direction.  tounge_o.gif

RTR_Commander: I don't want to steal your thunder, so could you please let me know the approximate timeframe you expect to have yours done?  If it's a bit away, maybe I'll release a fun, yet generic model as a test-bed to try new techniques.  Kind of a community Joint Venture, where anyone can get the stripped down version and add tweaks/components/features to put into the standard approved model.  (just a wild idea, but I'd support modeling for that)

Hmm, that might be an idea. rock.gif

If RTR_Commander agrees, I'm willing to make/modify all needed models, and supply textures to someone who wants to work the bugs out.

Well, please advise.  I'll try to post images of what I have.  It's only half done, but the hardest part is over (figuring size relationships).  The rest is copy and modify - plus the little stuff.

[Edit:] Here's the pics. (Thanks again, Buzzard)

LCACAlpha1.th.jpg

LCACAlpha2.th.jpg

Thanks,

Scrub

RTR_Commander: I don't want to steal your thunder, so could you please let me know the approximate timeframe you expect to have yours done?  If it's a bit away, maybe I'll release a fun, yet generic model as a test-bed to try new techniques.  Kind of a community Joint Venture, where anyone can get the stripped down version and add tweaks/components/features to put into the standard approved model.  (just a wild idea, but I'd support modeling for that)

Hmm, that might be an idea. rock.gif

If RTR_Commander agrees, I'm willing to make/modify all needed models, and supply textures to someone who wants to work the bugs out.

Well, please advise.  I'll try to post images of what I have.  It's only half done, but the hardest part is over (figuring size relationships).  The rest is copy and modify - plus the little stuff.

Well timeframe is hard to give but if you want a rough estimate i'd say a couple of months.

As is stands the model is 95% complete and textures 5%. But if you want to have a go at this like you say as a test bed thats cool. For our LCAC all we really need is someone who could script it as that is something we lack in our mod.

I like your two pics !!  smile_o.gif

Monkey Lib - i take it you like the Griffon TDX2000(M) then? Operated by 539 Assault Squadron Royal Marines out of plymouth, UK....

nice bit of kit that smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

RTR_Commander Posted on July 20 2004,18:22

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well timeframe is hard to give but if you want a rough estimate i'd say a couple of months.

As is stands the model is 95% complete and textures 5%. But if you want to have a go at this like you say as a test bed thats cool. For our LCAC all we really need is someone who could script it as that is something we lack in our mod.

I like your two pics !!  

(^Thanks^)

Well then, there we have it.   biggrin_o.gif  

Quote[/b] ]cornhelium Posted on July 20 2004,08:51

I wonder if the Everon Cartel can help out with positioning the vehicle in relation to the water level, based on their great submarine? Ie. automatically setpos the LCAC always 1 metre above water when it is not on land ? (I've no idea what I'm talking about   )

...then do the same once it's on land, and make the skirts have no geo or fire lod so it can go over obstacles. Simple!

Cornhelium: Rockin' Ideas dude (can I call you 'dude'? smile_o.gif ), keep 'em coming.  Now we need someone to prove out the idea.  Either use an existing model as proof-of-concept, or I'll have the LCAC model and some textures out this weekend.  Sharp idea of the fireLOD on the skirt. just the deck and superstructure need one.

If anyone will "step up to the plate" to handle (or at least advise) the Oxygen LOD's and scripting *COUGH* *coughromolus* *cough*, excuse me.. something went down the wrong pipe...  I'll get the models and textures finished. Umm, let me tell you all what I have planned, then the experienced ones can advise (can you tell I need advice? crazy_o.gif ).

I'll make the following seperate models -with notes:

1- LCAC Deck and 'catamaran' style super-structure

------------------------------------------------------

I'll make a 'walk in' command (starboard), and port cabin, (would like to use the action menu -inside- to 'get in' (need to find interior photos)

The port 'floating head' windscreen should be a troop cargo position.

The fore and aft ramps will be fully modeled, walkable and driveable, I hope. (great.. Now I can see 'Kommie Knievel and

his Kawasaki 250' jumping over stowed Hummers.)

*shakes head slowly* tounge_o.gif

2- Rotors

The cone they reside on and the blades themselves as one unit.

Seperate model for full speed rotation? (just a disk instead of blades?  Use texture animation from that point?)

3- Rudders

A single rudder is all that is necessary, just copied and scripted individually.

4- Access Doors

Two access doors for either superstructure (maybe one If I can confirm they are identical)

5- Airform bellows (Skirt?, Shroud? Cushion? Ya Get It!)

I'll make a clunky medium poly version, and you all can advise on scripting methods, model revision, etc. to

make realistic inflate/deflate states.

Thanks everybody.  Remember: You Make This Happen.. No pressure.  wink_o.gif