Sign in to follow this  
Monkey Lib Front

Doom 3 has gone GOLD!!!!!!!!!!

I admit it was overhyped, but I don't think it sucks.

But that's what my reward was for ignoring for the most part. While everyone was eagerly awaiting the game that would define a new era in Computer gaming, I didn't even acknowledge Doom 3's existences until it came out.

Guys, I'm getting this game tomorrow, and I was wondering if you have some performance tips for it! I have a Pentium 2.4 MHZ, 512 RAM, and an FX5900 graphics card. I wanted to get an Nvidia FX6800 Ultra, but I need money! sad_o.gif

If you hit one of the popular doom sites, and look at their forums they have config tweaks that can help.

www.planetdoom.com have some in their forums (Scroll down to find it)

Additonally, and most importantly, make sure you download the latest drivers from Nvidia.

Be careful when your downloading any Doom3 mods. The programmers decided it wasn't important enough to hide the damn Cdkey, so some mods actually steal the CDkey. The most notorious for this is a collection of retardates called Team God.

Guys, I'm getting this game tomorrow, and I was wondering if you have some performance tips for it! I have a Pentium 2.4 MHZ, 512 RAM, and an FX5900 graphics card. I wanted to get an Nvidia FX6800 Ultra, but I need money! sad_o.gif

Runs very smooth on my ageing Athlon 2600xp 512mb ddr400 and a crappy old Geforce 4 ti 4200 128mb

I have it on medium settings at 1024x768 and 2x AA and get no slowdowns whatsoever. smile_o.gif

Had I few hours with it and so far I like it but I'm hardly ecstatic. I think the engine is more impressive than the gameplay but too be fair ID never promised more than that. This was always meant to be a ghost train, atmospheric but a fixed course.

I think its probably the best scripted game since Half-life but I think I'll still be playing stuff like Far Cry long after I've put Doom 3 away.

Funnily enough this made me dig out Doom 1 + 2 and jDoom to make it a bit more polished. I'd forgotten just how much fun they were. They may be primative but in terms of balance and pace they still hold up eally well.

Well, I just completed it -- The worst: Performance. I ran at 800*600 at Medium Details, and I got periodic lag, like just before/while I opened doors, so I would almost never be prepared if something was on the other side, and also some general FPS drop sometimes, other than that, it ran ok. Gotta love the shadows! One time, I saw a shadow crawling on the sealing, noticing there were no other light-sources than the window above me, I looked up, and saw a demon quickly crawling across the window! Scary! biggrin_o.gif

Mines Running Beautifully on an AMD AthlonXP1000+ 1Gb ddr ram and a Geforce FX5900xt...Ultra Setting in 1024x768 with no lag what so ever!!

I also run Far cry with the ultra detail setting in the same resolution...no probs there either

You are running Ultra details? Yea right. That is only available on 512 MB G-cards. You little lier there. tounge_o.gif

I'm running ultra detail on my 256MB 6800GT  smile_o.gif

It is not only for 512MB cards, it is most suited for 512MB cards. Carmack said you could experience lag on some of the larger levels if you don't have 512MB video ram.

I have'nt had any lag at all on any of the levels.

Running ultra detail, 8xAA, 8xAF, vsync off, 1280x1024: >=45fps

Also download the latest nVidia drivers, it helps a great deal, im running mine on a Pentium 2.4 ghz, 1gb ram and a Geforce FX 5200 with medium settings and i havent had any lag, its a bloddy good game but the ending was a real dissapointment.

Timmeh

Im not lying whatso ever...i had this problem playing multiplayer they were calling me a liar!

Granted my machine has tweaks here and there for better performance (no Doom3 tweaks tho) but im telling the truth!

Im not lying whatso ever...i had this problem playing multiplayer they were calling me a liar!

Granted my machine has tweaks here and there for better performance (no Doom3 tweaks tho) but im telling the truth!

I can make your computer easily lag on FarCry. Wanna bet? biggrin_o.gif

Just go up to 1600x1200 with all elements on highest... youll be surprised.

You are running Ultra details? Yea right. That is only available on 512 MB G-cards. You little lier there. tounge_o.gif

I'm running ultra detail on my 256MB 6800GT  smile_o.gif

It is not only for 512MB cards, it is most suited for 512MB cards. Carmack said you could experience lag on some of the larger levels if you don't have 512MB video ram.

I have'nt had any lag at all on any of the levels.

Running ultra detail, 8xAA, 8xAF, vsync off, 1280x1024: >=45fps

From what I've heard it was only available on 512 MB G-cards. I haven't tried it myself though 'cause I'm afraid my poor lil' G4 MX 128 would break down. tounge_o.gif

Like I said, Ultra detail does'nt require a 512MB card but it uses over 256MB videoram in some cases. When that occurs the system starts to swap (as in use system ram). System ram is alot slower than videoram. But like I said, I have'nt noticed any jerky fps when using ultra detail.

btw the recomended specs for Doom3 runs doom avg 50+fps.

The engine is capped at 60. That says something about how much of an requirement a 512mb card is with ultra detail (overly strict sys-requirements so that they can guarantee max performance out of the engine).

P4 3.2 / Ati Radeon 9800 Pro

My system runs smoothly at medium detail level and 4x AntiAliasing. (60+ frames). No complaints there. However I do have the problems that sharp corners of objects look too pixeled. I somehow solved that by changing my graphic cards settings in windows.

I can run at high details but then I only get around 40 Frames and yes that means it appears choppy.

All in all I agree that it is the best scripted game ever. The athomsphere is pretty depressing and many of the shock-effects can make your heart stop for a minute.

But then again, after 2 hours you only have one wish "let me get out of here" .... so I am actually just continuing to run through the map to get out of this freaky place.

Sound wise it couldnt be better. The guns suck but the environmental sound is spectacular (except the stupid evil laughter).

I am quite happy with the game. The maps appear all the same but if you pay atention you see that details differ very much.

The monsters are good but some are too repetivive and others apear just once or twice and then never again. Where are all the spiders gone? Instead I only see the fireball-throwing morons.

And where are the big batles, a maximum of 5 enemies surround you but never realy more. The "big enemies" are weak as hell and I actually never lost a life because of them but because jumping into some nuclear waste or into a big black hole. I want them all around me!

The weapons are .... well not what I expected.... I somehow dont like the sounds however it is great to see that some weapons have a greater impact on a specific enemy than others.

No Shadow, I didn't like SOF. Actualy there is no such game that would suit, what I wanted.

Well I liked SOF1&2 so I'm hoping  wink_o.gif

There is one thing that really impresses me with Doom3. The length of it. The amount of levels. Today most games are finnished within a day or two. I looked through the files and I see I still got a long way to go. Yay!

SOF's had one thing cool. I liked to snean to the guy from behind and shoot the back of his head from Desert Eagle.

His face would blow up. pila.gif

Hell, the best muptiplayer game ever. ALL you need was the AK and the pumpgun!

On Delta Labs 1 now...playing with some mod that I can't remember the name of, adds small flashlights for most weapons, improves some weapon sounds (shotgun, pistol and machinegun sound awesome now), changes flashlights beam, melee zombies must be gibbed, etc...can't play without it. smile_o.gif

D3 can become too repetitive but the graphics and atmosphere are great.

The atmosphere of the early levels is lost later on when you react irritated to the predictable imps spawning both in front of and behind you instead of being scared. The appearance of the enemies becomes sooo predictable. Enemies follow patterns, spiders crawl out one by one out of one hole so you can camp it etc. Sometimes you just want to run through the level instead of admiring the graphics and enemy placement like you did in the early levels. rock.gif

Too damn many 'industrial zones' and dark hallways, more variation please.

2.8 P4 (clocked to 3)

512 mb DDR400

Radeon 9600 XT

Working great on 1024x and medium quality, I can also run fine on high quality but then some of the rare choppier areas become almost unacceptably laggy, shame really.

Screenies taken on medium and 1024, here's again to the guy who said Doom3 doesn't have "nice overall graphics" and it has "maybe some ragdoll" compared to HL2. icon4.gif

D1.jpg

Unlucky Imp eating some chainsaw:

D2.jpg

Security bot:

D3.jpg

Chaingun:

D6.jpg

Hello.

D5.jpg

Sorry, no other monsters, the screenies just turned out this way. tounge_o.gif Might post more later if this thread stays alive...

And where are the big batles, a maximum of  5 enemies surround you but never realy more. The "big enemies" are weak as hell and I actually never lost a life because of them but because jumping into some nuclear waste or into a big black hole. I want them all around me!

I doubt the computer could handle the classic Doom cliche of 8 billion monsters on-screen at once. It would be too much of a strain on the resources.

Do you seriously think that with the level of detail and shadows, etc, that your computer could handle THIS!?:

doom15.jpg

crazy_o.gif  wow_o.gifBlimey!

Aah, memories! biggrin_o.gif

[Gareth Gates must die]

...here's again to the guy who said Doom3 doesn't have "nice overall graphics" and it has "maybe some ragdoll" compared to HL2.

tounge_o.gif

What i tried to mean by that was that Doom3 would have better graphics, but HL2's would be still impressive nonetheless.

I beat Doom 3 already, it was nice. I particularily liked the first half of the game where ammo was sparse, and you had to resort to hand-to-hand combat with a pinky or chainsawing a mancubus crazy_o.gif

Heres a pic I took during a cutscene of the Doom 3 Final Boss (AKA Cyberdemon, Dont click it if you havent met him and still wanna be surprised!)

Heres a pic I took during a cutscene of the Doom 3 Final Boss (AKA Cyberdemon, Dont click it if you havent met him and still wanna be surprised!)

Your screen was'nt high enough the get the whole guy onscreen huh?

Me neither wink_o.gif

Kegetys posted a list of all the levels earlier in the thread

Quote[/b] ]Mars City

UAC Administration

Alpha Labs Sector 1

Alpha Labs Sector 2

Alpha Labs Sector 3

Alpha Labs Sector 4

EnPro Plant

Communications Transfer

Communications

Recycling Sector 1