Sign in to follow this  
der bastler

UEFA Euro 2004

I find it particularly amusing how neither the BBC nor ITV showed, let alone mention Portugal's disallowed goal, which was clearly in, the ball crossed the line no question about it. Mr.Meier didn't allow it because he would have faced a shit storm had he done so, after his previous, IMO, blunder   wink_o.gif

Have I got news for you, check the bleeding topic title smile_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Oh dear, there goes my thread... rock.gifwink_o.gif

http://www.ofp-zone.de/bastler/rl_photo/nogoal06.jpg

http://www.ofp-zone.de/bastler/rl_photo/nogoal08.jpg

http://www.ofp-zone.de/bastler/rl_photo/nogoal09.jpg

Without Terry and his extended arm that would have been a goal. Full stop. Poor Campbell...

I my oppinion it would have been a goal if Terry had been the scorer but now all he did was to obstruct the goalie so Campbell could score.

I find it particularly amusing how neither the BBC nor ITV showed, let alone mention Portugal's disallowed goal, which was clearly in, the ball crossed the line no question about it. Mr.Meier didn't allow it because he would have faced a shit storm had he done so, after his previous, IMO, blunder   wink_o.gif

The TV recieved by BBC and ITV was recorded by Portugese TV.  I have noticed throughout the tourney they seem to have a thing about replaying fouls 5 times and not showing the important bits.

Raedor - The alleged 'handball' by Gary Nevile was a clear case of ball to hand if ever i saw one....never a 'false decision'.

I can't believe some of you guys are getting miffed at the fact us English fans are not happy with the result and discussing it in this thread....it's part of football and part of being a true supporter....it's part of what makes football what it is.

Well.....

We have gone out....on pens....again.

A few thoughts....

We started off ok.  Owen got an early, nicely finished, goal.  To flick the ball with the outside of your foot like that whilst turning takes some skillz.  Great goal.

Then we sat back on the lead.

Bad move.

Why??

When will we learn??

Take note of how both Croatia's goals came from crossed set pieces and not a single England defender made an attempt to attack the ball with a header....exactly the same as in this match....not a single defender jumped, Portugal scored.

We sat back and invited them on to us....Scholes had a nightmare of a game....Beckham was less than average....Owen looked lively but wasn't really getting the service from midfield....as soon as Rooney went off we were no real threat on goal....Ashley Cole was my man of the match, he fouled Ronaldo a few times but he was just doing his job, he did it well and Ronaldo is real good at making it easy for you to foul him to be fair....James was not with it (recall the ball being crossed towards the 6 yard box and he should have made an easy catch but he mis-judged it and it hit the post?)....why the hell did they sub Figo???....after Portugal equalised we were trying to hit them fast on the break but ended up giving the ball away when we could have played it around, kept possesion and controlled the tempo of the game....Vassell didn't do much....Phil Nevile, when he came on, should have been doing what he does best, scrapping round the midfield getting stuck in and chasing the ball....i don't think i recall him actually having it or making a tackle....Portugal didn't play particularly well, Ronaldo was their best player but Cole kept him quiet....the ref didn't have a good game at all....i couldn't believe we actually scored an equaliser in extra time as we never looked like scoring at all.

The ref ruled against Campbell's 'goal'....well, there was contact made but it was more a case of the keeper making contact with the player than anything else....it would have gone in even if Terry wasn't there imho as the keeper came too late....looking at things from a neutral perspective, well trying anyway, i personally wouldn't have given the foul, especially considering the ref's assistant gave the goal.

Then came the inevitable....penalties....again.

I would like to state that i have been going to Old Trafford to watch Man-U for 20 years, i have watched numerous world cups, european cups, cup winners cups, euro championships etc etc.

In all that time i have never ever seen a penalty spot with a mound of sand on it....ever!!  What was all that about???

The camera shows that the ball moved forwards as Beckham took the pen.

BUT

If you are going to strike the ball and it moves forwards you are going to make contact with a higher spot on the ball than you would if it didn't move....right?  So Beckham would have got underneath it and ballooned it anyway.

We really missed Rooney, Gerrard and Scholes at the penalty spot.

Ronaldo took the piss with his penalty.

And getting your keeper to take the deciding penalty kick is just down right cheeky.

Portugal didn't play great but we were worse.

And we're out.

On pens.

Again.

mad_o.gif

Well, i gave Portugal as my tip to win the tournament so i have to stick with it....it won't feel as bad being knocked out of the tournament by the champions.

I also predicted Ronaldo would impress.  He has been Portugal's best player imo and saying that about a young lad in the same team as Luis Figo says something about the player he should become....and he's all ours....muah muahaahaaaahaaa.

*Takes off England shirt and puts his beloved Man-U shirt back on*

Arsenal to win nothing next season - 100/1 wink_o.gif

Yes ... Beckham kicked half the ground up as the ground was so ... soft and missed the first penalty mad_o.gifrock.gif

It was a great game but something i don't understand is that english team did exactly the same second-half they did against France and they got the same result: a goal in the last minutes. Why the english coach keep playing like this? When you have Beckham, Scholes, Owens, Lampard, Rooney, you don't have to defend but to ATTACK! And i think that's why english are going home now. It's sad cause when they played offense they scored. I would have like to have a France-England final.  sad_o.gif

so now, i hope we (France) will be luckier than england tonight. I hope that Saha will play, not Trezeguet who was not really good during the three first games.

Goodluck Greece, i hope we'll have a great game.

EDIT:spelling problems! crazy_o.gif

@ June 24 2004,23:41)]Oh and Screw.. I saw your post about the queen before it disappeared...

Quite disgusting if you ask me.

I agree. Poor taste.

Anyway they showed the disawoved goal again. It's difficult to say. I mean Terry was in Ricardo's face, grabbing him from behind. And the refs usually are pretty sensitive about that. So I think the ref didn't do anything wrong really. I mean it was harsh, but they are in general very harsh when it comes to fouls on the goal keepers.

You guys are talking like Terry deliberately fouled the keeper...."grabbing him from behind"..he never grabbed him from behind, his arm was on his shoulder....Watch his eyes, they never leave the ball.....as for his arm out, if youve ever actually played football, those things happen, its never a foul, unless you clobber someone, as it was his arm was just out for balance......that was never a foul......and terry was in that spot first, the goalkeeper ran into HIM.......

Besides, the ref was TOO FAR AWAY to make that call.......it was a very bad call considering the ref was too far away to know what had gone on.....in that situation he should have consulted the linesman......and the linesman said "its a goal".....

Portugals cleared shot off the line, the rest of the game? Well it shouldnt matter at all......we should have ended the game 2-1 up but for an absolutely disgraceful refereeing decision......the refereeing was terrible all night, i have to say.....

Apart from all the argueing and the final outcome:

It was a fantastic match to watch, congratulations to both teams for their spirit and energy! Haven't enjoyed watching a football match like this in a loong time!

Another nation that turns out to be a bad looser. The rule about hindering a goaly is pretty clear. There is no discussion about it, IT WAS A FOUL, strangely enough the brits now behave like the italians, I thought you people were sportsmen.

Quote[/b] ]as for his arm out, if youve ever actually played football, those things happen, its never a foul

IF you played football recently you would know that IT ACTUALLY IS A FOUL if you do it with the goalkeeper. And it is realy easy to judge for a ref if the the goaly is even prevented from jumping into the air to catch the ball. Give me a break... that was CLEARLY a FOUL. Stop complaining. It is funny you try to tell us "arm on the shoulder of the goaly" happens and is not a foul. Look again in the upcoming matches, it actually never happens!

Another nation that turns out to be a bad looser. The rule about hindering a goaly is pretty clear. There is no discussion about it, IT WAS A FOUL, strangely enough the brits now behave like the italians, I thought you people were sportsmen.

they are sportsmen, but their fans are a bit too much into it. blues.gif

The fact Terry jumped before the keeper got near him, terry's arms were giving him momentum and the keeper ran to him and jumped as Terry was on his way down to earth, suggests no foul. We're Sportsman, it's just we don't like it when some arsehole referee is so biased towards us that he costs us the game. Portugal are a brilliant team, it was a good match but the referee was biased beyond belief.

I mean Beckham got flattened by a portuguese player and the ref didn't even give a free kick.

Mind you Rooney's injury pretty much demorilised the team.

Arent you surprised that noone except you brits see it as NO FOUL?

Maybe you need to cool a bit and watch that scene again objectively!

We've watched it loads of times, besides the linesman gave it as a goal, the ref was too far away to see and should have allowed it, but then his team being knocked out caused him to be a biased -beeping- -beep-beep-

what were you saying again?  rock.gif Could you repeat it

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Sorry mate but we say that the goaly is the porcelane puppet. You touch him you loose. But that is more than touching. The goaly is prevented from jumping after the ball. That is a foul. Full stop

I got CHILL pills for everyone

Free as well

I am extremely gutted we went out.. but lets not get too heated guys.. biggrin_o.gif

Agreed, but what that angle does not show is that Terry jumped first and had his eyes on the ball who entire time until cambell pulled his head back. Besides the keeper decided to fall over in the hope of getting the free-kick.....little git did.

He jumped first. That is clearly visible here. But the goaly is STILL prevented from jumping after the ball. That by itself is considered as a foul. The english league is slightly more tolerant in body-checks but in an international context it would indeed be considered as a foul.

That might be why we english seem to have been cheated according to our rules.

He jumped first. That is clearly visible here. But the goaly is STILL prevented from jumping after the ball.

Sorry but I dont think even John Terry can change the effects of gravity. I suggest you do what I did after the game, play MP and let a few thousand rounds off, I'd forgot about the match after the first contact wink_o.gif

He jumped first. That is clearly visible here. But the goaly is STILL prevented from jumping after the ball.

Sorry but I dont think even John Terry can change the effects of gravity. I suggest you do what I did after the game, play MP and let a few thousand rounds off, I'd forgot about the match after the first contact wink_o.gif

Gravity or not, dont touch the goaly. It is as simple as that. Fact is that you are not even allowed to stand in his way. Ans the rule has a reason, think about it.

Actually if u looked at it the ball was cleared of the line (by P. Neville?) if it was in the linesman would of easily saw it, and gave it. Oh yer and remember all of the ball has to be in for a goal, not 60% r anything, 100% has to be in

Gravity or not, dont touch the goaly. It is as simple as that. Fact is that you are not even allowed to stand in his way. Ans the rule has a reason, think about it.

That same goaly pushed one of our players, when our player could of headed it. so goaly just caught it.

edit: oh yer and Albert, in that last pic u posted the ball was already in. How did the ref say play on anyways?

Whether we want to blame the biased referee, the cheating Portuguese players, Rooney's injury, or whatever else the fact is England were very poor, played badly, played way too defensively after we took the lead, bad substitutions, we got what we deserved frankly.

If the performance matched that of France or Croatia we would quite possibly have beaten them, it wasn't, it was woeful, we barely strung two passes together, couldn't keep the ball, didn't win the ball back very well, first half especially we relied on Portugal losing the ball as the way to get it back, which is a very dangerous tactic. At the end of the day we have nobody else to blame but the England team.

Getting heated in an internet forum about it is pretty pointless IMO and only leads one way.

i think you played differently than the portus but not worse, no way. And i think even beckham played well, he structured you team pretty well from the back

Whether we want to blame the biased referee, the cheating Portuguese players, Rooney's injury, or whatever else the fact is England were very poor, played badly, played way too defensively after we took the lead, bad substitutions, we got what we deserved frankly.

If the performance matched that of France or Croatia we would quite possibly have beaten them, it wasn't, it was woeful, we barely strung two passes together, couldn't keep the ball, didn't win the ball back very well, first half especially we relied on Portugal losing the ball as the way to get it back, which is a very dangerous tactic. At the end of the day we have nobody else to blame but the England team.

Getting heated in an internet forum about it is pretty pointless IMO and only leads one way.

Blame the England team? Are you mad.

Bad substitutes, if u ask me they all played well but Vassell could of tried harder. you know Sol Cambells "goal" was a goal, and the ref messed up. If he allowed it there would never be any extra time or penos.

It's funny how everybody keeps on going about the "goal". Check the video and you can see that Terry was offside wen Campbell first headed te ball against the bar. It's very clear from the footage I'm afraid and really not dismissable.

Hence, regardless of the foul, there should have been an interruption and subsequently no goal.