Sign in to follow this  
dinger

Coc ua 1.1 progress

My word, you CoC lot never cease to amaze me... biggrin_o.gif This is just so incredible stuff!

Well, no.  You can't just plop a field radio operator on the map and expect him to know how to call fire.

A system like Unnamed's Observer, however, that identifies targets and decides to call in fire, will be very easy to plug into UA. Basically, the script tells UA it wants a fire mission, gives a location, and describes the target, and UA takes care of translating that into rounds on target.

So in other words, no, it can't be done without heavy scripting, but yes, we can now make units that have in their inits all the scripting needed, which is what the COBRA system in fact is.

Well, no.  You can't just plop a field radio operator on the map and expect him to know how to call fire.

A system like Unnamed's Observer, however, that identifies targets and decides to call in fire, will be very easy to plug into UA. Basically, the script tells UA it wants a fire mission, gives a location, and describes the target, and UA takes care of translating that into rounds on target.

So in other words, no, it can't be done without heavy scripting, but yes, we can now make units that have in their inits all the scripting needed, which is what the COBRA system in fact is.

so the COBRA system could be implemented to be used with any soldier equipped with the right gear? (like a CoC_radio)

and when he spots something he thinks need artillery he will call artillery? (that was what i tried to explain in my last post) ;)

would be nice though if you could make him call arty from a specified unit (or group) even if there are several available... smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]A system like Unnamed's Observer, however, that identifies targets and decides to call in fire, will be very easy to plug into UA. Basically, the script tells UA it wants a fire mission, gives a location, and describes the target, and UA takes care of translating that into rounds on target.

I should have made a start on this already, I'm stuck doing some documentation at the moment, not my favourite pastime sad_o.gif

I'm hoping to get cracking on it as soon as I'm done. Although at the rate CoC are going, if he isnt already, my guy will be obselete before long smile_o.gif

UA's shaping up to be a very comprehensive system, are you planning on intergrating it with your command engine?

Quote[/b] ]iNeo Posted on June 16 2004,12:14

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote (Scrub @ June 16 2004,06:24)

It's pretty late and I'm a bit tired, so please forgive me if the answer is 'in my face'- but, did I gather that the new radio interface is going to be a dialog?  It would be great if it was.  And just a suggetion, use a pic as a dialog background instead of a flat color, if possible.  Maybe a grungy piece of military hardware, or the radio you use (maybe you could upgrade the radio to a battlefield laptop and use the BIS model, just smaller. hmm?)

http://home.mchsi.com/~dingerx/strix2.jpg

Dinger's picture, a month old.

Thanks iNeo...

Dinger, It looks absolutely fan-frikin-tastic, far more user friendly than action menu method.  The COC UA joneses are kickin' in again...  biggrin_o.gif

As a Beta Tester, I can say first-hand that the new FED system is much easier to use than the Action Menu method. Both are still supported, but having to navigate through the action menu takes a little more time and on my system, if the mission took a while the actions would be jumbled with the unit actions (such as Raise Goggles, etc). But without giving too much details, the FED is better because the only action menu item is IF Menu. When selected it starts up the FED. This means that on my system I don't get the menu jumbled around even on long missions. I'm also able to navigate through calling for fire faster, which is appreciated when you need immediate artillery support. Those few extra seconds can make all the difference in survival.

As for the COBRA system, I think everyone will be impressed with what it is capable of. Dinger and the rest of the CoC team are constantly amazing me by adding and improving new features all the time, and if you read the notes from the start of this topic you can see many of the improvements such as shell/fuze types added.

I first started using artillery in my SP missions using Dinger's Artillery Suite script, and if anyone else out there remembers that awesome script set, you will love even more what UA has to offer. Missions just aren't going to be the same anymore. Get out your umbrellas OPFOR...I hear the forecast is Steel Rain headed in your direction.  wink_o.gif

aye, looking forward for the release! smile_o.gif

say, was the shell-whiz improved?

Just an eager fan poking around for scraps of info..  How goes the progress?  Taking the high road?  Or slogging through a swamp of logic?  Any update available? (oh please, oh please)  smile_o.gif

Hi cornhelium

Done

We are feature complete ie. everything that is going to be in in the UA has been put in.

Doing Now

We are in beta test phase ironing out the bugs.

We are checking through each of the third party addons that are going to be out at the same time especialy those that will feature in missions released at the same time.

We play test it a lot, trying to make it crash mixing it with other addons to look for conflicts and where possable resolving it with the other MOD teams.

To Do

Then we check all the included missions for quality.

Then we write up all instruction manuals.

Then we do website publicity contact everyone

Then we enlist mirrors

Then we release.

Please Note

It is CoC policy not to give release dates; as they are rarely met and are a purely notional fiction. By its very nature the development of cutting edge products is a discovery process and we can no more give a date for completion than a doctor can give a date for the cure for the common cold. We only tell people what we have done so far and what we are working on.

To that end we place all the public info on the current state of our projects and the latest releases and news on all CoC development in our forum.

http://www.thechainofcommand.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi

Kind Regards Walker

Walker I hope your getting something out of this other than the pure satisfaction of putting out a quality package and the love of the game. This is alot of work for a hobby.

Thank you for the update. Damn you guys 'got it together'.

Can't wait to see it. (but I will! wink_o.gif )

Scrub

Sounding great, and the inclusion of russian weapons is fantastic!

Can't wait for this one, sounds great.

man I cant wait for this...if I ever get my guns complete CoC UA is the first thing I'll do to them.

Keep up the great work guys!!!

man I cant wait for this...if I ever get my guns complete CoC UA is the first thing I'll do to them.

We will remember you said that. biggrin_o.gif

will you be getting in contact with any ww2 mods to see if they want to implement UA into their units?

Hi there,

Any news? Are we "White Tango Oscar" or "Shot"?  biggrin_o.gif

Cheers,

Cornhelium

Its "Mike Tango Oscar" i think wink_o.gif

will you be getting in contact with any ww2 mods to see if they want to implement UA into their units?

We might suggest it, although it would be better for you to do so as it is for your (plural) benefit more than ours. biggrin_o.gif

I tried to do that, after getting no responses from folks who owned several of the models I planned to include, I basically gave up, since I've no time to build my own models right now.

<little issue with a hurricane, a 30' oak, and my house, if you comprehend the meaning>

I tried to do that, after getting no responses from folks who owned several of the models I planned to include, I basically gave up, since I've no time to build my own models right now.

<little issue with a hurricane, a 30' oak, and my house, if you comprehend the meaning>

Then it will end there, people who are not interested in making their addons UA compatible will have their addons non-UA compatible. We do not have the time to do the work for them. smile_o.gif

bn880

Do you folks have a guide on what needs to be done to make an addon compatible. I tried digging through all the scripts in the addon. If there is a comprehensive guide to the scripts I wouldnt mind taking a crack at converting some addons.

We never quite got around to the guide, if you want more information on how to convert, post in our forums and we'll go from there.

Yes I know it would be good to have a conversion Guide. smile_o.gif