Sign in to follow this  
General Barron

Decrypting pbos

Hey all! I've just recently found some .pbo files that I just can't for the life of me seem to depbo! I try to open it with Amalfi's pbo decryptor v1.5, but I get this error: "unable to unpack file". Why on earth am I getting this error, and how can I get around it? rock.gif

Thanks for the help, in advance! biggrin_o.gif

And what is the pbo you are talking about? Some addonmakers tend to encrypt their addons bit further than the usual.

What do you mean, "encrypt their addons a bit further than usual"? I didn't know you could encrypt pbos. How exactly do you do that?

hi all.

why amalfi depbo v 1.5 does not work sometimes ? I don't know ! What can you do ? Use v1.3 ! It works most of the time. I can't remember where I found it, I think it was on a russian or polish site. Or i can send it to you, it's only 194 ko

ah ah ah are you the same General Barron that I just saw on opfec talking about v1.3 ?

Open the PBO in a Hex-Editor and look for a convert.bin

Then change the convert.bin into any other string which has the same length, i.e.

convert.bin -> blablab.bin

It has to have the same length, then you'll be able to "decrypt" those "encrypted" addons.

Credits to Lester for this "trick".

Thanks for the replies, all! I already tried using unpbo v1.3, but no luck. I'll try feersum.endjinn and vektorboson's suggestions though. Thanks smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]wtf...so I can make it so that I can encrypt my pbo.'s?? how?

WHY?

What about the people that want to see how it's done? That want to see how you added that "special effect" etc?

Your shutting future modders out of the door, dude.

wtf...so I can make it so that I can encrypt my pbo.'s?? how?

Read the previous posts again? rock.gif

You cant. People have already discussed many times how to crack this. For example, take a look at this: *click me*.

Quote[/b] ]Credits to Lester for this "trick".

As you can see it wasnt Lester who discovered how to unpack those files, you should give some credit to Otto  tounge_o.gif

You cant. People have already discussed many times how to crack this. For example, take a look at this: *click me*.

Quote[/b] ]Credits to Lester for this "trick".

As you can see it wasnt Lester who discovered how to unpack those files, you should give some credit to Otto  tounge_o.gif

Ok, then it was Otto, big thanks to Otto! biggrin_o.gif

righto, so its impossible. Well, i bet the problem is then that the person is using another Un-Pbo program then the other person used. I've tried to un-pbo this crap a Czech guy built a long time ago, but I found out that he was using another program that added one or two things to the pbo. encryption and I was like....WTF!!?!?!?

Yep, the Credits for the trick must go to Otto in the WRP-Edit forum, that's right smile_o.gif