Sign in to follow this  
Doc. Zaius

Two new close combat games announced

0002233,01.jpeg

Quote[/b] ]Gathering and Destineer Publishing have today announced the next two titles in the Close Combat series for Xbox, PC, and Macintosh. Close Combat: Red Phoenix and Close Combat: First to Fight are both currently being developed by Destineer in conjunction with Atomic Games. Close Combat: First to Fight, which is scheduled for release towards the end of this year, is a team-based first-person shooter being developed under the direction of active-duty U.S. Marines. Close Combat: Red Phoenix is a real-time strategy game loosely based on the Larry Bond novel Red Phoenix, and is currently scheduled for release in 2005.

Source.

Hurrah. Interesting to see them revive the franchise and shift the focus completely after so long (Two, three years since CC5: Invasion Normandy?) and with some diversification - I get the impression that 'First to Fight' would be similar to Full Spectrum Warrior.

More here.

I thought this game was about the close cobat series like in Close Combat IV battle of the Bulge or close combat V in Normandy ,now thats a series where i would like to see a next installement for.

I thought this game was about the close cobat series like in Close Combat IV battle of the Bulge or close combat V in Normandy ,now thats a series where i would like to see a next installement for.

Well, it is. In a brand-diversification sort of way. Sort of.

I'm looking forward to Red Phoenix the most. The book was pretty good as far as technothrillers go.

If they are making it in conjunction with US Marines will we be able to call in fire support as soon as we see a few enemies? smile_o.giftounge_o.gif

But it sounds very promising, I have only read a part of Red Phoenix but what I read was pretty good. And I too was hoping for an additional "old-school" Close combat title, but I guess that wouldn't make them too much money in this day and age.

If they are making it in conjunction with US Marines will we be able to call in fire support as soon as we see a few enemies?  smile_o.gif  tounge_o.gif

Yeah bomb the place to pieces then move in 'bravely' biggrin_o.gif

The press release can be found there

http://www.shacknews.com/docs/press/040104_closecombat.x

Honestly, i am a bit disapointed by the first person shooter.

I hoped to see a true Close Combat games, this game "Close Combat: First to Fight" has nothing to do with the serie sad_o.gif .

But , that said,

Quote[/b] ]Close Combat: Red Phoenix is a real-time strategy game

this one sounds more interesting, for me, it seems to be a real sequel, as every Close Combat were real time strategy games.

Time will tell.

The first word to pop into my head is "blasphemy".

An FPS and an RTS? Out of the Close Combat series? rock.gif They BETTER be good, but no matter how good they are I don't think they have anything to do with the original CC series besides the brand name.

CC1, CC2 I haven't tried that much, and the old graphics and sounds don't inspire me that much, CC3 was good but way too unrealistically tank-focused, CC4 had a bit boring setting IMO and you couldn't choose your force setup, but CC5 was just the best, everything was in balance compared to the other games. It wasn't perfect of course, the AI defended when they should attack and attacked when they should defend, among other things like strategical troop movement and troop numbers in one map, and AI foulups. Still, CC5 is really good. smile_o.gif

The first word to pop into my head is "blasphemy".

An FPS and an RTS? Out of the Close Combat series? rock.gif They BETTER be good, but no matter how good they are I don't think they have anything to do with the original CC series besides the brand name.

Close Combat 1/2/3/4/5 were technically RTS.

smile_o.gif

Haha, of course they were, you got me there actually. biggrin_o.gif But they were still *Strategy* games and not...you know...RTS'es. smile_o.gif

I loved the old school CC series...... sad_o.gif

Ahh well, a nice juicy FPS to get my teeth into instead wink_o.gif

If they are making it in conjunction with US Marines will we be able to call in fire support as soon as we see a few enemies?  smile_o.gif  tounge_o.gif

Yeah bomb the place to pieces then move in 'bravely'  biggrin_o.gif

Let's not offend the Marines now wink_o.gif

Or I will have to find where you live and send my size 12 straight up your ass biggrin_o.gif

wink_o.giftounge_o.gif