Sign in to follow this  
AgentFox2

Manpads

Hey, ya'll. Just wanted to chime in to show you something I've been working on occasionally.

*image removed due to unavailability*

Very early image, but I think you get the idea.

It doesn't look too swell at the moment, but hopefully I can refine it!

I am hoping to create a pack of several MANPADS.

I am still open to ideas and suggestions, so please, take this opportunity to give me your thoughts!

What features would you like to see in a MANPADS?

Great someone Looks into this.

Just two features...

- Ability to hit BAS and DKM and ECP choppers...

- Proximity fused, high manouverable Missile, with simulated high shrapnel radius.

- Proximity fused, high manouverable Missile, with simulated high shrapnel radius.

I think that Wargames Addpak 4.0 addresses these issues...might want to take a look at how they do it...

We were working on one too (BDM), considering we've got a great FIM92 model.

Quote[/b] ]- Ability to hit BAS and DKM and ECP choppers...

I had been thinking of similar, I am just having a dilemna about the proximity fuse, as in real life, most weapons of this type use contact, although that could be overlooked in favor of playability  smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I think that Wargames Addpak 4.0 addresses these issues...might want to take a look at how they do it...

I have indeed tried out WarGames, but I didn't know it had a proximity-fuze, I thought it was contact, but with the added pinache of simulated fragmentation

Quote[/b] ]We were working on one too (BDM), considering we've got a great FIM92 model.

Perhaps interested in cooperation of some type, or no?  biggrin_o.gif Or was that just a jab at me?  tounge_o.gif

Just to throw another question out to ya'll, would you like to see any other types of MANPADS? It's highly likely I'll be doing some SA-7s and maybe even SA-18s.

Is there any interest in even older systems, such as Redeye?

I would really like the community's opinion on this, especially questions such as game balance and the like.

Thanks.  biggrin_o.gif

Yes a Red-Eye would be nice ive always wanted one of those. Ever since seeing it in my good ole 1980 Army Field Manual next to me here.

I thinks that FIM-92, SA-7, SA-9, SA-18 would be enough, the Stinger is Fielded in nearly all Nato-Armys, and the SA-xs are spread all over the world...

Yes a Red-Eye would be nice ive always wanted one of those. Ever since seeing it in my good ole 1980 Army Field Manual next to me here.

I'd definately agree! smile_o.gif A Red Eye would really kick ass! smile_o.gif

Hey, ya'll! AgentFox2 reporting in with a quick update, here's a tentative list of the MANPADS to be included so far:

FIM-43A Redeye - Early US MANPAD

FIM-92A Stinger (Stinger Basic) - First Stinger model, would be in use during the events of the OFP campaigns

FIM-92C Stinger-RMP - Used in Operation Desert Shield/Storm (Not quite sure if this one should stay)

FIM-92E Stinger-RMP Block 1 - Current Stinger in use with US Forces

9K32M Strela-2 (SA-7 Grail) - The (in)famous Strela. biggrin_o.gif Early Russian MANPADS, equivalent to the Redeye.

9K34 Strela-3 (SA-14 Gremlin) - Development of the Strela-2. Vastly improved.

9K38 Igla (SA-18 Grouse)

9K310 Igla-1 (SA-16 Gimlet) - Current MANPADS in use with Russian Forces?

What does everyone think? Any suggested changes to this?

Also, I would appreciate any help or suggestions on the following:

The Russian launchers: I need good image references and information badly. If anyone could help in this respect (especially good quality images) it would be greatly appreciated. smile_o.gif

Gameplay balance: Should I make the equivalent models on each side have the same values? Or achieve a "unique balance" by giving one side an advantage in one area, while having a disadvantage in another? If the latter, how so? I've been giving some thought to making the Western versions more accurate, but the Russian more damaging, or perhaps faster? I don't know, I need some constructive suggestions. smile_o.gif

FIM-92C: The reason I included the Stinger-RMP in the line-up was due to the Gulf War of 1991, but part of me feels it as a bit redundant. Same deal with the SA-18. Since the SA-16 will be included, do I need to have the SA-18 in there? I don't know, any thoughts? crazy_o.gif

Be sure to watch this space (or the space a little further down tounge_o.gif ) for updated images of the project's progress in the next couple of days!

sounds good...

I think you know what I want to say but i've already asked you enough. Hopefully after this pack you will be ready.

What about Starstreak, Javelin, Mistral, RBS-70, HY-5, QW 1/2/4?

RBS-70 is being done by the Swedish Forces Pack guys, and I can tell you that without a doubt, you won't be disappointed in their handiwork! smile_o.gif

As for the Star-streak, Javelin, Mistral, and the two Chinese SA-7 variants, I just wanted to focus on the US and Soviet/Russian makes for now, as those are the most common. I'm sure there are probably a lot of other mods that focus on those nations that are probably already developing some of those same models you mentioned. wink_o.gif But hey, you never know what could be coming. biggrin_o.gif For the moment, however, with my slow development speed and the amount of work I already have planned, I think this should keep me busy for a little while longer! biggrin_o.gif

I been asking for a proper Stinger for bloody years now.

Here is some info of the handling of a Stinger, see if anything can be applied by scripting or some other ways.

Quote[/b] ]The Stinger is one shot weapon.

From switch on, there is only ninety seconds of battery life in which to make the shot.

First thing to do is to find the target with the naked eye.

Once visual, click the first stage of the trigger.

This will switch the battery, it will start the passive IR seeker head cooling, and make the optical sight come live.

Track the target with the optical sight, while the seeker head search the sky for a heat source.

The missile will start growling, when the head see the target it will change its sound signal from a low growl to a high pitched buzzing.

Now the head is "lock-to-launch" state.

Once in this state, make the trigger go to its second stage to fire the missile.

If at list half of this happaned when you handling a Stinger, wouldn't this be cool?

@CERO.

Hey, guys! A quick update on the Stinger's progress:

Then

click to enlarge

StingUpd85_01_800.jpg

And Now

click to enlarge

StingUpd03_04_800.jpg

More will be in the OFP Combat Photography thread in a moment.

Only thing left for the Stinger's model is a few texture tweaks.

Wish I could help you out, almost got two inert Russian SAM launchers for my collection late last year (actually I need to follow up on those).

But I can get you good images of the FIM-92 (there is one in a museum display I know of) and my XM*** (can't remember the exact numbers) Redeye launcher.

finally!

some new man-launched aa missiles

please add some nice fireing effects and real sounds

Nice and wonderful, but whatever you bloody do, make sure you design the flight characteristics and velocity to be realistic.  No more Mach 2.5 MANPADS in OFP  The ECP and WGL project dealt with this issue well, I suggest you ask for help from mainly the WGL project, since they probably can help you simulate frag effects from the warhead.

Maybe have the missile do the missile launch acceleration effects similiar to what the Javelin Launcher did for the MARPAT pack.

One more small note, don't make the warheads too overly powerful.

Great to hear someone is making manpads smile_o.gif

Maybe you can also make some European missiles wink_o.gif

Wish I could help you out, almost got two inert Russian SAM launchers for my collection late last year (actually I need to follow up on those).

But I can get you good images of the FIM-92 (there is one in a museum display I know of) and my XM*** (can't remember the exact numbers) Redeye launcher.

Hey, that would be great! PM on the way!

Quote[/b] ]Nice and wonderful, but whatever you bloody do, make sure you design the flight characteristics and velocity to be realistic. No more Mach 2.5 MANPADS in OFP The ECP and WGL project dealt with this issue well, I suggest you ask for help from mainly the WGL project, since they probably can help you simulate frag effects from the warhead.

Yep, one step ahead of yah there, buddy! biggrin_o.gif

At the moment, the Stinger starts out slow and gradually gains on its target. An aircraft going 700-900 kmh will be able to outrun it. I've also had some moments where the target aircraft can dive quickly, close to the ground, and the missile, overcorrecting in order to try and meet its targets presumed heading, will steer itself into the ground. So, you can actually use fairly realistic maneuvers to thwart the missile.

Quote[/b] ]Maybe have the missile do the missile launch acceleration effects similiar to what the Javelin Launcher did for the MARPAT pack.

Done already. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]One more small note, don't make the warheads too overly powerful.

How do you define overly powerful? My damage objective was to have the missile be able to effectively disable or destroy most rotary-wing aircraft, while most jet pilots would be able to eject before they were destroyed. I thought that this would best represent realism, while still allowing for player pilots to survive the encounter.

At the moment, the stock Mi-24 and Mi-8 are not immediately destroyed, and a skilled pilot can auto-rotate them down to save himself. This also works on most addon helicopters of similar size, so far as I've seen. Small helicopters like the OH-58 or the OH-6 series will most likely be destroyed immediately, however.

Yeah, the warhead strength would not be much of an issue if the OFP engine dealt with the two ways an aircraft can be shot down.  

First, the aircraft is unmanuverable or both engines go out for good but the structure and cockpit holds long enough to eject.  

Second result is where the aircraft explodes in a large and pretty fireball and the pilot gets baked and blended at 800 degrees Celsius.  SAM's and AAM's love pilot smoothies, mmmm good smoothies.

Yeah, the warhead strength would not be much of an issue if the OFP engine dealt with the two ways an aircraft can be shot down.

Another issue is the fact that the way the armor values are coded, a Hind actually has more armor than a BMP! Meanwhile, the stock A-10 can take approximately 2-3 XM177 mags before it explodes in a fiery fashion!

So the aircraft armor values are very disproportionate. At one point, I had my Stinger coded to have more than 600 damage, and yet it still couldn't bring a Hind down! crazy_o.gif

But a FIM-92A CAN'T bring a Hind down...

The disabled and destroyed carcasses of Mi-24s left over from the Soviet War in Afghanistan might disagree with you. wink_o.gif

*Edited for mistype.

*Edited yet again for clarity and because I've gone and confused myself once again! biggrin_o.gif