Sign in to follow this  
ralphwiggum

Us presidential election 2004

1. I never said this is my reason not to vote for Kerry.

2. Walker is already doing the job of blasting the fuck you comment.

3. Who are you calling Republican.... rock.gif

4. You can say Cheney finally spoke his mind...

5. Cheney did make himself look like a fool like Kerry's wife..

1. Then whats the big deal?

2. So? Still haven't seen you say anything about it.

3. People that make a huge deal of this (either that or members of the media)

4. So then whats the big deal with what she said?

5. Only difference is is Theresa's comments didn't cost 1000+ soldiers lives.

So again. Where is your indignation for that?

The local television station did a short blur on it and said she was on tape.

Hi billybob2002

Err just tell me the name of the radio/television station no biggie.

Kind Regards Walker

Quote[/b] ]Err just tell me the name of the radio/television station no biggie.

Kind Regards Walker

Erm...I forgot the channel.....I'm not trying to cover my ass....honestly.... crazy_o.gif ....only can when she says "shove it"

Was just watching the US Democratic convention, Clinton was pretty damn good! biggrin_o.gif

Yepp. smile_o.gif Too bad he can't run again. Kerry is truly nothing compared to him - at least as far as charisma goes. +

What a trade down America did in 2000 - from an intelligent idealist to a chimp in a suit working for special interest groups.

I agree, and as for CLinton's speech, he did something which I think will work best for Kerry; he basically outlined the differences between Republicans and Democrats [policy](which many people probably don't realize), and then he went over at least a dozen specific differences that Bush's policy has to a Democrat one. I am fairly sure most Americans had forgotten all the stupid actions Bush has taken in his presidency, until Clinton summarized them.

And I think points like this really speak to people even who don't care much about politics "And, secondly, we live in an interdependent world in which we cannot possibly kill, jail or occupy all of our potential adversaries. So we have to both fight terror and build a world with more partners and fewer terrorists."

Anyway if you did not see the speech, here is a transcript:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic....DEFAULT

Quote[/b] ]Hi billybob2002

You have said this but you have not supported this statement with the recording of the speech. Please come up with the recording of the speech.

Kind Regards Walker

Cannot find a recording but all the news website quote her has saying that.... wink_o.gif (I heard the tape thingy on local news...)

Quote[/b] ]

Would you care to support this statement with an argument, or, God forbid, some evidence, or are you going to act like the rest of the Republican party this election and be satisfied enough with the accusation itself?

Denying that she said un-american and she did.... biggrin_o.gif

Edit:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/trib/news/s_205302.html

Quote[/b] ]

"Reporters wanted to know what she meant. Colin asked -- in an aggressive but not unusual manner. ... He was behaving like a reporter," said political reporter Peter L. DeCoursey of The Patriot-News in Harrisburg.

"She only got mad when she read his badge, when she read the words 'Tribune-Review,'" DeCoursey said.

No, no, no ,no, I'm not talking about that. Support your assertion that Kerry is a flip-flopper, because right now, it sounds like the Republican attack ads have spoonfed you your opinion and you didn't bother to check things out for yourself. Can you show Kerry is a flip-flopper, or is that something you have been told and then just assumed was true?

Quote[/b] ]Hi billybob2002

You have said this but you have not supported this statement with the recording of the speech. Please come up with the recording of the speech.

Kind Regards Walker

Cannot find a recording but all the news website quote her has saying that.... wink_o.gif (I heard the tape thingy on local news...)

Hi billybob2002

I think you need to come up with tape of the speech.

I have done a thourough hunt and cannot find one any where.

Could you tell me the Radio station you heard it on?

However like many others I think it perfectly reasonable to tell a reporter to shove it when he is being as obnoxious as that particular one was. Shove it is not swearing after all.

Kind Regards Walker

Walker, she did say the words "un-American" in her speech. I heard them as well.

What Billybob has failed to do is supply you with the context for her use of those words.

Her speech was about all of the recent negative campaigning being done by both sides and how they should focus more on the issues instead of personal matters. She said it was un-American to be so hateful to each other.

After the speech, an editorial reporter for the Pittsburgh Gazette, a notoriously right-wing rag that has featured a series of attack editorial against the Kerry campaign in recent moths tried to trap Heinz-Kerry into making a statement that attacked Bush by taking her statement out of context with a leading question, asking her if she was calling the Bush campaign "Un-American". The camera caught him asking a follow-up question, "What do you mean by the words un-American?" after she refused to answer his initial question. Heinz-Kerry, already angry at the man, at first attempted to dodge him and move on, but he kept harassing her, so then she turned around, sought him out of the crowd and let him have it with the "shove it" comment.

Of course all we get from our reliable media is the soundbite containing the second question and the aggressive move followed by the "shove it" comment. We are then left to speculate as to what really happened because people will make the obvious assumption and think badly of Heinz-Kerry, which of course assures controversy and increased viewership in the run up to the election.

I am starting to think the media is our worst enemy in this country, for both Republicans and Democrats and I think it may be time for them to be held accountable for their tactics. They are playing a dangerous game of hyping up the controversy and presenting us with half-truths in order to secure bigger ad buys. I don't think the public would be nearly as divided if it weren't for them.

If we had all seen the entire story and been provided with the context, I think most Americans would admire Heinz-Kerry for being a strong enough woman to stand her ground against an unfair and biased attacker.

George Bush Premier Public Speaker We Can Be Proud Of

Quote[/b] ]NEWSWEEK reports that President Bush, appearing before a right-to-life rally in Tampa, Florida on June 17, stated: "We must always remember that all human beings begin life as a feces. A feces is a living being in the eyes of God, who has endowed that feces with all of the rights and God-given blessings of any other human being." The audience listened in disbelief as the President repeated his error at least a dozen times, before realizing that he had used the word "feces" when he meant to say "fetus."

I can't wait for the debates.

Way to go, idiot... tounge_o.gif

Even I know that we END our lives as feces not start it. biggrin_o.gif

Yeah seriously, being born and having LIVED in America all his life, he should know Fetus from Feces, god damn fool, no excuse, even with a week without sleep and constant abuse he should remember feces from fetus. crazy_o.gif Not to mention it was written down in his speech most likely.

Quote[/b] ]No, no, no ,no, I'm not talking about that.  Support your assertion that Kerry is a flip-flopper, because right now, it sounds like the Republican attack ads have spoonfed you your opinion and you didn't bother to check things out for yourself.  Can you show Kerry is a flip-flopper, or is that something you have been told and then just assumed was true?
Quote[/b] ]

In 1992, Kerry Called Affirmative Action “Inherently Limited And Divisive.†“[W]hile praising affirmative action as ‘one kind of progress’ that grew out of civil rights court battles, Kerry said the focus on a rights-based agenda has ‘inadvertently driven most of our focus in this country not to the issue of what is happening to the kids who do not get touched by affirmative action, but … toward an inherently limited and divisive program which is called affirmative action.’ That agenda is limited, he said, because it benefits segments of black and minority populations, but not all. And it is divisive because it creates a ‘perception and a reality of reverse discrimination that has actually engendered racism.’†(Lynne Duke, “Senators Seek Serious Dialogue On Race,†The Washington Post, 4/8/92)

In 2004, Kerry Denied Ever Having Called Affirmative Action “Divisive.†CNN’s KELLY WALLACE: “We caught up with the Senator, who said he never called affirmative action divisive, and accused Clark of playing politics.†SEN. KERRY: “That’s not what I said. I said there are people who believe that. And I said mend it, don’t end it. He’s trying to change what I said, but you can go read the quote. I said very clearly I have always voted for it. I’ve always supported it. I’ve never, ever condemned it. I did what Jim Clyburn did and what Bill Clinton did, which is mend it. And Jim Clyburn wouldn’t be supporting it if it were otherwise. So let’s not have any politics here. Let’s keep the truth.†(CNN’s “Inside Politics,†1/30/04)

Quote[/b] ]

At The Time, Kerry Questioned Strength Of 1991 Coalition. “I keep hearing from people, ‘Well, the coalition is fragile, it won’t stay together,’ and my response to that is, if the coalition is so fragile, then what are the vital interests and what is it that compels us to risk our young American’s lives if the others aren’t willing to stay the … course of peace? … I voted against the president, I’m convinced we’re doing this the wrong way …†(CBS’ “This Morning,†1/16/91)

Now Kerry Has Nothing But Praise For 1991 Coalition. SEN. JOHN KERRY: “In my speech on the floor of the Senate I made it clear, you are strongest when you act with other nations. All presidents, historically, his father, George Herbert Walker Bush, did a brilliant job of building a legitimate coalition and even got other people to help pay for the war.†(NBC’s “Meet The Press,†1/11/04)

http://www.georgewbush.com/kerrymediacenter/read.aspx?ID=2439

I know but.... tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

Yeah seriously, being born and having LIVED in America all his life, he should know Fetus from Feces, god damn fool, no excuse, even with a week without sleep and constant abuse he should remember  feces from fetus.    Not to mention it was written down in his speech most likely.

Thats my Bush!!!!  tounge_o.gif

That cant be true! That would be just too... I dont know. Too something. I mean hes the president of the USA he cant bossbly do that kind mistake can he?

Please someone tell me he cant. biggrin_o.gif

All this campaigning is insane, especially considering that the majority of the american public seems to vote out of habit or out of casual spite than actual information. The media is indeed not helping it, more like they're adding fuel to the fire.

I guess it still goes "In America, we elect the person who's best at bad-mouthing his opponent as our president.".

I have no idea where this quote comes from, but seeing this huge circus, where there's 1% of information-spreading, while 99% of the time we see celebrities give out their support to a party, and where all candidates have that Colgate smile...

It just reminded me of this quote. smile_o.gif

Sadly, this whole populism/media whoring/etc is not at all exclusive to the US, This trend is also becoming sickeningly apparent in many other countries. sad_o.gif

Hi all

I just saw the speech of Barack Obama on the Democratic Convention.

I have got to say it was the best speech I have ever heard unless I go back to the speeches of the sixties.

Truly the Democrats have a president for the future in that young man.

Quote[/b] ]Obama described his heritage as the son of a Kenyan man, who grew up herding goats and won a scholarship to study in the United States, and a white woman from Kansas, both now deceased.

"I stand here today, grateful for the diversity of my heritage," said Obama. "I stand here knowing that my story is part of the larger American story, that I owe a debt to all of those who came before me, and that, in no other country on earth, is my story even possible."

Without mentioning anyone by name, he said, "Even as we speak, there are those who are preparing to divide us, the spin masters and negative ad peddlers who embrace the politics of anything goes. Well, I say to them tonight, there is not a liberal America and a conservative America; there is the United States of America. There is not a black America and white America and Latino America and Asian America; there's the United States of America."

Obama asked, "Do we participate in a politics of cynicism or a politics of hope? John Kerry calls on us to hope. John Edwards calls on us to hope." This hope, he said, is not "blind optimism," but "the hope of slaves sitting around a fire singing freedom songs" and "the hope of a skinny kid with a funny name who believes that America has a place for him, too."

Predicting victory for Kerry and Edwards, Obama said, "the people will rise up in November . . . and out of this long political darkness, a brighter day will come."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A17865-2004Jul27.html

The whole speech was reminicent of the best of Dr. Martin Luther King mixed in with some vintage Clinton and a smatering Bob Dylan.

It was rousing and very much the caught the patriotic mood of this Democratic convention as it atempts heal the nations wounds after the divisions of the last 4 years to bring the American people back together again as a united country.

Kind Regards Walker

Hi Ian, his name is too close to Osama, they won't like him. j/k

Thanks for the link, will watch when it is more appropriate here. I am really happy to see the strong and thoughtfull speaches made by the Democratic representatives, gives some hope, I am still doubtfull about the election... I don't know, it's one of those feelings like it will be a repeat of last time. sad_o.gif

I don't think much of Nancy Reagan's promotion of Stem Cell research.  She is only in support of it because of her husband and emotional reasons.

After all, she saw her husband go through Alzheimers and died.  She was very protective of President Reagan, ofcourse she is screaming about Stem Cell research now.

Let her grieve, there is no point in arguing with her.  

This is NOT a battle between neo-cons and "old school" cons.

Just a battle between Nancy and Bush/other conservatives. And Nancy's emotions have ofcourse effected her thinking.

No respectful conservative would argue with her.  That would be disrespectful.  She has been through alot with Ronald Reagans disease.  

Unlike liberals, conservatives respect eachother through the good and the bad.

You have got to be kidding me!?  You don't think much of her stand on stem cell research.  What better reason could she have for promoting it?

If you got diagnosed with terminal cancer tomorrow, would you be happy if people wrote off your advocacy for ehanced cancer research?

That is simply a narrow-minded and extremely un-empathetic point of view. crazy_o.gif

Yes, it may be unempathetic, but it is right.

Sometimes when someone is emotionally vested in a certain situation, it clouds or completely takes over their judgement.

Sure, it may alleviate some suffering, but is it the right way to go about it?

I'm sure down the road there is more than one way to alleviate such suffering. Cloning is not the way to do it.

If I were a cocaine addict, I would beg for cocaine to alleviate my suffering of withdrawal. My judgement is clouded by my problem.

Simply appeasing those who suffer is not always the right way to solve a problem.

Hi all

I managed to get the full text of the Barack Obama speech here is the link: http://www.newsday.com/news....adlines

Well worth a read. I will keep trying to find the full speech in video format.

Once again I just have to say how much the speech reflects the intention of the convention in healing the rifts of last four years of partisan politics of uniting all Americans Democrat and Republican once more under the single banner of the stars and stripes.

Kind Regards Walker

Quote[/b] ]Truly the Democrats have a president for the future in that young man.

That guy is basically running unoppose for the Senate because that Star Trek actress ex-husband got caught up in a sex scandal. I hope he does not get a free ride and win by default. Good speech but still is not going to chance by mind.... wink_o.gif I notice some the democratic speakers are trying to cover up their real feelings...prozac works

Dukakis II.... biggrin_o.gif

0_22_kerry_nasa_big.jpg

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,127229,00.html

Quote[/b] ]

Kerry Camp Peeved at 'Leaked Photo'

Tuesday, July 27, 2004

"This was a leaked photo," Mary Beth Cahill (search), campaign manager for John Kerry, said an interview with FOX News on Tuesday.

No media photographers were in attendance Monday when Kerry toured a facility at the Kennedy Space Center with famed astronaut John Glenn and Sen. Bill Nelson of Florida. All the men wore anti-contamination suits (search).

Asked by FOX News' Brit Hume if a dirty trick was being played, Cahill didn't answer the question directly but said: "What do you think?"

"This was a legitimate tour of a NASA facility and this photograph came out of absolutely nowhere. We were surprised then. We aren't surprised now."

A NASA spokesman told FOX News that the space agency provided one photographer to document Kerry's tour but said NASA (search) did not release any images to the media.

Instead, the photographs were given to the Kerry campaign to review before several were posted on the Kennedy Space Center Web site. In no way were photographs "leaked," the spokesman said.

For Republicans, the photo flap could turn into the kind of opportunity the party had in 1988 when that year's Democratic nominee — Michael Dukakis — was snapped riding a tank and wearing a helmet that was way too big for his head. Dukakis was leading then-Vice President George H.W. Bush in the polls, but Dukakis' standing fell fast after the photo incident.

Asked about the significance of the photo of Kerry, Republican chairman Ed Gillespie (search) smiled broadly and said, "We just thought it was a great photo."

I don't think much of Nancy Reagan's promotion of Stem Cell research.  She is only in support of it because of her husband and emotional reasons.

After all, she saw her husband go through Alzheimers and died.  She was very protective of President Reagan, ofcourse she is screaming about Stem Cell research now.

Let her grieve, there is no point in arguing with her.  

This is NOT a battle between neo-cons and "old school" cons.

Just a battle between Nancy and Bush/other conservatives. And Nancy's emotions have ofcourse effected her thinking.

No respectful conservative would argue with her.  That would be disrespectful.  She has been through alot with Ronald Reagans disease.  

Unlike liberals, conservatives respect eachother through the good and the bad.

You have got to be kidding me!?  You don't think much of her stand on stem cell research.  What better reason could she have for promoting it?

If you got diagnosed with terminal cancer tomorrow, would you be happy if people wrote off your advocacy for ehanced cancer research?

That is simply a narrow-minded and extremely un-empathetic point of view. crazy_o.gif

Yes, it may be unempathetic, but it is right.

Sometimes when someone is emotionally vested in a certain situation, it clouds or completely takes over their judgement.

Sure, it may alleviate some suffering, but is it the right way to go about it?

I'm sure down the road there is more than one way to alleviate such suffering.  Cloning is not the way to do it.

If I were a cocaine addict, I would beg for cocaine to alleviate my suffering of withdrawal.  My judgement is clouded by my problem.  

Simply appeasing those who suffer is not always the right way to solve a problem.

I think this reply does not dignify a full reponse.

He looks like a giant blue condom, but it's hardly the Dukakis photo reborn. Dukakis' was a video and he looked ridiculously out of place in that tank.

He looks like a giant blue condom, but it's hardly the Dukakis photo reborn.  Dukakis' was a video and he looked ridiculously out of place in that tank.

He was shoving it.

I hear that despite Kerry blaming Bush for outsourcing jobs to other countries, Heinz actually has 26 manufacturing plants outside the US itself. Is this fact or fiction? unclesam.gif

I hear that despite Kerry blaming Bush for outsourcing jobs to other countries, Heinz actually has 26 manufacturing plants outside the US itself. Is this fact or fiction? unclesam.gif

It's probably fact. I don't doubt they make heinz ketchup all around the world. The difference is, they still make Heinz ketchup in Pennsylvania as well. Don't confuse foreign production with outsourcing, they are not the same thing. Outsourcing is packing up an entire plant and all of its high-paying jobs and moving it to a foreign location to replace those high-priced workers with cheaper foreign labor. Outsourcing in essence screws over the American citizens, and the poor foreign worker as well, all in the name of bolstering the bottom line.