Sign in to follow this  
drow

Vietnam war mod suggestions

What would you... the demanding, realistic combat simulation fans like to see most from an ofp Vietnam War mod?

Realistic Units? Historic Events? Jungle Combat? Firebases and Fire Support? Realistic Tactics/Tactical Operations?

The Enemy Perspective? Untold Events? Recon Missions? Battalion sized operations?

This is kind of a community wish list... what would you like to see?

GUNBOATS! Rivers,Napalm and lots of choppers

POW rescue etc...

I like jungle warfare but all the americans could do was walk thru the jungle until they hear/see/feel shots,lol

Hello all,

Im Drow, Leader of The Unsung Vietnam War Mod. What we plan to do with our mod, is truely and realistically depict events throughout the second Indo China War, known to most as the Vietnam War, known to the Vietnamese as, the American War.

Now this was the longest war in US history, but it was never really declared a war at all. It was the evolving and testing of new techniques in warfare, against a new enemy, a guerilla fighter who at first was largely underestimated, but later became respected and even feared. This was also the coming of age of the helicopter, in many facets on the battlefield, whether it be the insertion of troops into the field to quickly engage an enemy if located, the extraction of wounded soldiers, or the new tactical advantage of having the ability to call fire support from the ever watching, hovering birds in the sky.

Another significant thing about this war was the changing of attitudes throughout the war itself, being such a long and tedious war with no clear objectives, no front lines, no understanding of what they were doing there, they gradually wound up with no moral to fight the war. The US army crumbled in Vietnam, and the beautiful country of Vietnam crumbled under them.

This being such a gigantic project, I think it a good idea to ask fello Vietnam mods to concider cooperation on the lines that we could choose different eras in the war and base each of our mods in this way, therefore we could cover the whole war in a fraction of the time. This came to mind once when reading the 100th post somewhere about how the each of the WW2 mods should choose one section of the war to complete.

Thank you for reading this, and I hope we can work together in the future.

lol...one that actually has chance of being completed before OFP2 comes out...

what a lame and disrespectful comment...

OFP2 may not come out for years... we havent even seen a single screen, you will get to play The Unsung before you will ofp2... I am confident in this.

Plus, BIS's campaigns are so childish and lame that even if they still planned to do the Vietnam thing, I think we will make a more immersive, realistic campaign.

(No disrespect to BIS of course, they are the pioneers, and I have much respect for them, at the point in time that ofp was released, they were creating for lower end computers than we can create for now, giving us an advantage.)

Well we haven't seen anything from YOU either as far as campaigns...  rock.gif

Don't badmouth BIS when you haven't proven you can do better.  mad_o.gif

Plus, BIS's campaigns are so childish and lame that even if they still planned to do the Vietnam thing, I think we will make a more immersive, realistic campaign.

thankyou for the much unwanted unsung mod plug...

constructive input only please,

DONT PROVOKE DISPUTES!

i didnt mean to sound like i think BIS are dumb or anything, they are revolutionary game developers who I love for what they have given us...

There is room for improvement. Thats all i meant.

thankyou for the much unwanted unsung mod plug...

plug? this is our thread dude   rock.gif

And in regards to our campaign, we are still building the island, we need the world before we can write a story in it.

I hope to not disappoint anyone with our campaign, thats why i posted this thread,

instead it has brought the spiteful jokers out of the woodwork...

dude,I've just gotten really turned off, like alot of ofp gamers with all the mods that never even come close to being finished..the list is far too many to even try to list. but to be serious, I'd love to a new map of vietnam..maybe on the size scale of Tonal, we have a very decent nam pack that supplies troops and helos...maybe just minor tweaking of those and having more conventional army units represented besides the aircav adding armor would be nice. A good campaign would be nice...the guys over at FDF have made by far the best campaign I've ever seen on ofp bar none...the missions are realistic(no you versus the world like other mods),immersive( I like the fact how they carried on the BIS story of Nogova and went from there) anywho u see what I'm getting at..there's alot of already good nam stuff out just see what we don't have and make a campaign you'd be proud of...there no sarasm this time biggrin_o.gif

Hey Drow,

Quote[/b] ]Realistic Units? Historic Events? Jungle Combat? Firebases and Fire Support? Realistic Tactics/Tactical Operations?

The Enemy Perspective? Untold Events? Recon Missions? Battalion sized operations?

This pretty much sums it up to me mate - (Apart from the realistic units part; I think Sebnampack2 is plenty good enough). Would love to see stuff based on realistic tactics (I'd say Operation AxePoint by SnYpir is a good point of reference for that) and some historic events.

Definitely worth using the CoC UA for fire support and the CoC mines used in conjunction with historical "T" and "L" ambush tactics (remember reading about these on a site linked to Ofpnam). I know the AI can't avoid mines, but what the heck...it's not like MENSA will be hurting over the loss  wink_o.gif

I'd also love to see tunnels used to some extent. Also, a few bonus missions played from the VC/NVA perspective would be great (I'm pretty ignorant of the tactics used though I know jungle combat was as much a shock to the NVA soldiers as to the US guys). You obviously know your stuff when it comes to this war, and historical research is a real asset to the community IMO.

Cheers,

Cornhelium

It all depends on which area of vietnam your going to be making. For me, it all depends on the "island" your making and the terrain. Obviously you'll be making troops that are appropriate for the corps area. What year you make will affect things as well.

If I were making a request, I would request the DMZ area as it would be relatively easy to make, it's less populated so there wouldn't be too many cities and towns to worry about. You could make quite a few different scenarios based on RL events. It would be a simple north vs south island. The foliage would not need to be totally tropical like a delta region map. Or if you do go with a mao like what you;ve been showing, for gods sake please look at pics of the area your representing so you don't do something such as use plants inappropriate to the region. A nipa palm grove at 2000' on the side of a mountain would jsut be... silly.

As far as addons go, I would first focus on things that are not in the Nam pack. You may want to do better than we did, but trust me... the Nam pack took almost a year to do, and that was with 2-3 main workers and several others chipping in with a weapon here, and piece of code there.

If your going to make units anyway, focus, focus, focus. Don't do a survey set of addons like we did. Just focus on one branch and do it well. Same with the NVA or VC. Pick one and do it really really well, and if you have time, do the other. It will make things much much easier. If, for example, you did a DMZ campaign, you really could just focus on Marines and NVA. Or if you did a Meekong campaign you could just focus on Naval River ops and use VC. Keep it simple.

For how a campaign might work, I would love to see a simpler campaign with the focus on ONE person. Not fly a medivac one mission, a tank the next. I hated, hated, hated that about the BIS CWC campaign. Worked well, but not for my taste after years of campaigns in flight sims. Took away the immersion for me. A day to day campaign would be nice. Even if the missions were very very simple, a 365 day campaign would be cool. Sounds like a lot, but most could be duplicated. Search and destroy, patrol, guard duty, etc. In flight sims, you could fly the same style of mission 20 times in a row, such as CAP, but people don't mind. By repeating the same style of mission over and over, you could show a gradual buildup of contacts or troop strength, or have no contact for several missions, then all of a sudden when you think it will be another cakewalk... boom, you get ambushed. Things like that.

Just my opinons.

Right what would i like to see in a Nam campaign:

I would like to see that NVA/VC would use something like the Ho Chi Minh Trail with some bicycle addon or something like that. They used bicycles with a stick attached to the steering wheel to move large amounts of supplies to the far away fighting troops.

I would like to see the use of the A6 intruder, this is a bombing plane that was used in the Vietnam war (or was it A4...). It used napalm, cluster and other heavy bombs. It would be nice to see something like a small air to ground war mixed in the campaign. (if possible) I think Colonel_Klink is working on a model of that type.

Also i would like to see some recon missions, ya know...walk around the bush and search for enemy( if ya find any that is).

Yeah i know it's boring, but that's what they did a lot.

And some large chopper insertions into enemy held territory type missions. With medic choppers (see Platoon movie with the church scene where they leave that guy behind by mistake) that give support while enemy is all around on all flanks almost.

I would like to see some night patrol missions, where charlie would get real close to you on about 50 to 100 metres before you spot eachother. And what would be real nice is snipers that ambush you, or bunker positions that are not very well visible so you don't spot them from far away. Maybe also some enemy communications disabling missions. Where you have to destroy some of the communications network of the NVA/VC to reduce their troop movements and stuff. But mainly i would like to see that the NVA/VC act more like ghosts in the jungle. They are here suddenly and when the firefight is over....no bodies to be seen and the enemy has tailed it into the dence jungle nowhere to be found.

Oh yeah....use of all kinds of mines, foxholes, bunkers (mentioned them before)and tunnels or tunnelcomplexes. Tonal island has tunnels, but AI shoot right through the walls on that one....not funny.

Yeah i know the idea's sound like movie footage, but hey that's what i would like to see. Haven't seen much of that.

About the Nam Pack 2, i like it very much. But a lot of people don't like it because it has inaccurate weaponry. You shoot like mad and hit nothing. I say to this, well that brings that Nam feeling more forward. You hide behind tree's and other stuff that can give cover, pop up and shoot like crazy at enemy positions, and duck back to cover. I have seen a lot of footage on the Vietnam war and most of the times they did like this. But hey ya gotta give the public what it wants so a little improvement on Nam Pack weaponry to make them more accurate would be nice.

As for what you are doing with the Unsung mod, i really hope you can make it work and get a complete new vibe going for this Vietnam war theme. I like it a lot. Keep up the work guys.  wink_o.gif

edit: oh wait thought of something else:

how about all kinds of traps, like the punji sticks in holes or swinging tree trunks with spikes on them.....

just a thought.

Hmm what i'd like to see?

Well since you asked, be it by you or by someone else, mods that represent all 4 corps and their truly different geography.

In I Corps you have the small rivers, thick lush vegitation, large mountains and major cities & roads. From Khe Sahn to Dai Do and Hue you have some large cities and bases to build a great map.

In II Corps you have the Central highalnds had a stronger army presence at bases like Pleiku, Dak To, Ban Me Thout, Kontoum. There could be a great SF/Montangnard campaign here, in addition to the regular army units like the 173rd Airborne.

In III Corps you have the plains and notorious areas like the Parrots Beak as well as the large cities like Saigon and Bien Hoa. Great area for large scale army ops and for MACV SOG cross border ops

and in IV Corps you have the Mekong Delta, which brings into play the brown water warriors.

As far as units and vehicles I'd like to see, well the air units from SEBNAM pack 2 are outstanding as are the soldiers..

Honestly even to this day I really cant see them being updated very much. As far as the soldiers go, its always a nifty little thing to be able to change the patches on the uniforms of the regular army units.

ONTOS

LVTP5

PCF Swift Boat

Monitor Boat

AC-47 & AC-130using the CH47 spooky script that was on OFPEC

CH-54 for heavy lifting

CH-3

H-34 Choctaw

CH-46

M-42 Duster for base defense

M48A3 patton

Cannister Rounds for armor

A6 Intruder

M-110 8inch mortar

M-107 175mm SP arty

Quad 50 trucks

As for some units that weren't in sebnam that i'd like to see:

Indig personell like Nungs, Montangards, and CIDG

ARVN units

Australian units

Korean units

Some scripting that would be neat would be random artillery attacks on major bases, Mountains with tunnel complexes in them, STABO rigs for quick escapes or at least Penetrators on the CH-3's for CSAR missions.

These are some of the things I'm looking for in OFP vietnam mods and hopefully we will see all of these come to fruition at one point or another.

Great feedback, now Im worried... you guys expect more than I thought  tounge_o.gif

but for real, some really great ideas and comments, thanks guys.

p.s. Ebud, we still need far more vegetation at this point, so that palm may seem out of place now but may fit somewhere else on the island later, once we get all the veggies, we are planning to regionalize the island, at leaste somewhat, so different vegetation in different places/elevations on the island. This first island of ours is a fictional vietnam island, not a topo-map convertion of any one real area in vietnam, so we have got an open page pretty much to get creative with it, plus, wouldnt everyone be happier if the map was fun too, with some interesting landscape features, not just accurate alone. O and thanks for the input Ebud.

smile_o.gif

<edit>

http://www.ofpnam.com/unsungfiles/islandmap1.jpg

http://www.ofpnam.com/unsungfiles/islandmap2.jpg

http://e.domaindlx.com/unsung/BayShot1.jpg

http://www.ofpnam.com/unsungfiles/canopy.jpg

Oh one more thing ,lol

Most important ,what is your status of Vietnamese soldiers,cause it sure would be fun playing as that side

I have already modeled this base on one of my islands but I dont think it will ever hit the net

base.jpg

Also I may be able to help out a bit if you want a hand with anything, but not for couple of weeks coz I am heading off to Changi then Butterworth at end of this week.

Absolutely we could use your help, if you are skilled at island making I could use a hand at texturing and adding bridges and roads, Im good at making landscape features appear realistic with visitor but I havent mastered it yet by any means.

looks good, but what year is that?

wat year!?!? thats the version the used back in vietnam my friend.

Just ain't have hte nice little rocket in the tube

~Bmgarcangel

wat? so you think this ain't an older version, look dude, my one is an older version, its just the begining!