Sign in to follow this  
dm

The "community"

Lets try and keep it ontopic boys and girls smile_o.gif

@Leone... If you want to play it like that, every time we have tried to co-op with other addon teams "for the greater good" we have had it shoved in our faces. Just take JAM as an example. So many teams said they would use it, now hardly anyone does (thanks go out to those that do)

So please think about it before you post something like that, even IF you are jokeing... as it runs on a fine line between joke and personal insult.

Oh come on. You know I'm joking. If I really wanted to insult you I'd make fun of your hair tounge_o.gif

And JAM I would be more than happy to put in OPGWC if it didn't involve such a massive amount of coding to put it into the full cpp.

I mean integrating JAM magazine/etc into a config file that runs (at last count) to 1mb....its not a small job, and I'm sure you can understand why it is not a priority of some teams. However for individual addons or small packs, I say yes, please include JAM.

No offense meant, I'm sure you know this...

i haven't read the fifteen pages. what i can say about the addon-makers and people complaining is that it's impossible to avoid such bad attitudes. there will always be people thinking that it's normal addon-makers release perfect addons for them and for free.

I rarely post about addons. If i don't like an addon then i don't use it and i won't complain to the addon maker because i think he made the addon the way he wanted it and he could make it. When i post it's to report i found a bug or to ask a question on the way the addon works (after having read the read me biggrin_o.gif ).

I could post more just to say "great job guys!" but i feel like flooding the thread. So the best way i found to show that i support addon-makers is to use their addons on the server of my team and to make mission with. I think deadmeat and other addon-makers have the feeling that the community is spoiled because a lot of people like me just use the addons they like and don't post to say "i like it" as much as the ones who are complaining. Perhaps, we (people not complaining about addons but enjoying them) should say more to addon-makers that we love their work....

But, there's also something which is not good from the addon-makers community (i don't talk about BAS wink_o.gif ). A lot of mod show pictures, give informations about their wrok in progress. On one hand, it's a good thing, we know what's coming in few months which allows a lot of people to continue to play OFP. On the other hand, it could give the feeling to some people that the addons announcements are like promises done by the addon-makers, that they deserve the addons. When Earl and Suchey's marines were released a lot of people started to say that they were disappointed about the addon.

I don't meen that complains about addons are the result of the way addon-makers advertise about their work, i just wonder about it as an element that can make complainers to complain more (even if it's not a reason to complain).

I know it's really tiring to read bullshit from people who always complain, but i hope addon-makers will continue their great work. I and some mates left a clan cause some peolpe was always complainig about anything, just like if they loved to complain. As a mission maker, i used addons in my missions, trying to make nice and realistic missions, but after a moment i gave it up cause i was bored of people complaining cause they had problems to use the addons needed in my missions, they didn't want to download the addons or any other reasons.

i'm telling it just to let you know that i know complains are not the thing to look at but that it always affects people and the pleasure they have to make things for the community.

Hey everyone

I thought id add my 2 cents

I agree with you Deadmeat, its not a nice thing to have people slag you off all the time for what you do.

but it happens on the internet and in real life, you just cant help it.

I mean where i live im in a band, our town isnt very large sumtin like 37000 people and its hard to get a leg up in our career.

we write our own music and whatever we write never seems to be able to please people.

We draw on alot of personal experiences when we wirte our music and i must admit that when my Fiance decided that she didnt love me anymore and left me cold i was devestated, i felt suicidal but i turned all that emotion into my music and to this day the song i wrote about it still brings a tear to my eye.

at our last live concert we performed the song and after the concert a young lad and his mates decided to tell me how shit the song was. this had a huge affect on me and i felt like grabbing the kid and beatin the f**king snot out of him but i was the bigger person, i turned around and walked away because at the end of the day im the musician, hes the little idiot trying to make himself look better in front of his friends.

i know what it feels like to be kicked in the guts by people who dont appreciate it.

im not saying that everyone is like this but even if 1000 ppl say they love what you do and then say a minority of 5 say what youve done is crap then yeah, it gets to you and u wonder y ppl are so nasty.

we get it all the time, "your music should sound more like metalica's" or "theres to much NIN influence in your music".

but if we wrote music that sounded like metalica and had no NIN influence then wed hear things like "you guys just copy metalica" or "you guys suck cause your not like NIN".

You just cant win deadmeat,but u can be proud that what you do with your addons is great, BAS is amazing just like RHS, CoC, PUKF, OFPEC, NAFP and all other dedicated sites that i didnt mention.

its you guys that have the impact, not some snotty nosed kid who wants to start a flame war.

so deadmeat just be the bigger person and walk away, i agree with you fully but making banners isnt the solution, if some person trys to insult you then ignore them and the first thing that will go through their head would be "oh crap am i really that insignificant that people wont reply to my flame baiting"

keep up the good work and take heart that there are a shit load of members out there that love your addons and beleive you guys are truly talented.

A big salute to OFP and its patrons

Thanx

Tim

The squeaky wheel always gets the grease.

Think about it....it's very deep. And while you are thinking about that, what is the sound of one hand clapping?

*Tiger enters zen-like state that feels vaguely familiar*

.....familiar like...being drunk....must have been all that golden liquid Zen juice I drank last night

Can someone please explain to me how any of this enlightenment will get out to those who really need it though?

I mean seriously, when this thread goes on for another 15 pages...what has been accomplished? The people who just "dont get it" wont even have a clue.

Is there some way that the mods can translate any of this to the general OFP community so that the ones who are "guilty" of the bad behaviour can get some warning?

@Tigershark

Are you you just posting for the sake of it? I dont see what your zen like drunk state has to do with any of this?

Quote[/b] ]When Earl and Suchey's marines were released a lot of people started to say that they were disappointed about the addon.

And I don't remember any of the cricizers releasing anything even close to the quality of the Marine Pack.

Quote[/b] ]As a mission maker, i used addons in my missions, trying to make nice and realistic missions, but after a moment i gave it up cause i was bored of people complaining cause they had problems to use the addons needed in my missions, they didn't want to download the addons or any other reasons.

It's even more annoying when the #@%%^&! 1.46ers think they have a right to complain that almost nothing is being made CWC compatible mad_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]When Earl and Suchey's marines were released a lot of people started to say that they were disappointed about the addon.

And I don't remember any of the cricizers releasing anything even close to the quality of the Marine Pack.

Quote[/b] ]As a mission maker, i used addons in my missions, trying to make nice and realistic missions, but after a moment i gave it up cause i was bored of people complaining cause they had problems to use the addons needed in my missions, they didn't want to download the addons or any other reasons.

It's even more annoying when the #@%%^&! 1.46ers think they have a right to complain that almost nothing is being made CWC compatible mad_o.gif .

Or 56Kers wanting addonmakers to keep every thing under 1 mb wink_o.gif I think you shouldnt hype addons too much, S&E marines were ground breaking addons though. Really nice models, textures and killer scripts! smile_o.gif

@Tigershark

Are you you just posting for the sake of it? I dont see what your zen like drunk state has to do with any of this?

You need to lighten up dude.

Can someone please explain to me how any of this enlightenment will get out to those who really need it though?

I mean seriously, when this thread goes on for another 15 pages...what has been accomplished? The people who just "dont get it" wont even have a clue.

Is there some way that the mods can translate any of this to the general OFP community so that the ones who are "guilty" of the bad behaviour can get some warning?

@Tigershark

it's my fault. sorry! He wuz at my hut last nite. crazy_o.gif an' he is not used

to danish beer. (bah! some of you guys might read my username as "bmot" but ole tchhairkersharrrgh reads it

the way all drunks would, namely backwards).

=======================

anyway'zaah, deadmeat, in reply @ yer original INIT post back there,

I will put up a few *burps* to it :

First off, in general I believe I agree w/ yer point of view & I understand the

background that started yer "fire" but I also sence a scream of help (so to speak), in the way that you ask ppl to be polite & not post any immature crap of any kind.

While the latter is a bit over the top (you wont stand a chance), I think you can do MUCH to ease up whatever nags ya if you turn your eyes inwards and look at yourself, as a person (not as a profile or "character" on the net) ;

I think that you may feel too much pride about yer work. I know its a sensitive matter and I am willing to eat the beating if my saying get misunderstood, but plz listen up here:

MAYBE (maybe!) your pride is what eats you up & not the "youngsters" around.  wow_o.gif

Think about it - you deserve to be proud of yer part in the BAS products, no doubt, and that is not my point - I don't question that, I simply say that pride is both good & bad, mostly bad when we talk internet because you can live out the most wild fantasies online (being this & that "king" on various websites/forums) and you (not "YOU", ppl, well known profiles, right!) you risk to identify yourself too much with whomever you are online (as a "character").

I know, Im quite a character myself from time 2 time - but I always do it with a bit of self irony included...

(after all - who the f**k would say "Hey - its him" on the streets!  tounge_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  )

hope you understand my point here, m8, being lesser "king" and more "person" will automatically bring more humility to us all (when online) and that is what kills the bad sides of "pride".

dunno - maybe my jamaica rum back home has gone 2 my head agaiun, so nevermind if ya dont get a word of all this.

But then again, there's nothing that an ice cold TUBORG cannot solve!

biggrin_o.gif

CHEEEEEERS, and thank you very much for your fabulous OFP-art.

================

P.S.   tiger, you lil sissy you, get away from them badass_bas_boys and realize that

yer place is next to the walking stick at the "pensioners inn" : ofpec.  wink_o.gif

yanno, m8, with our women, a sixpack is always included biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]You need to lighten up dude.

"Me" lighten up???

I'm rarely serious as it is.

I figured this topic to be somewhat semi-serious and as someone who moans and groans as much as you do in the forums about this very same thing...you sure arent contributing to a solution.

There, is that "lightened up" a bit? I know I'm starting to feel better already.  biggrin_o.gif

I figured this topic to be somewhat semi-serious and as someone who moans and groans as much as you do in the forums about this very same thing...you sure arent contributing to a solution.

Ooooo....nasty...saucer of milk for table CanadianTerror....meeeeaaaaaaooooow.

Nice to see this isn't getting personal at all. rock.gif

I figured this topic to be somewhat semi-serious...

I take it its quite serious, I FULLY understand the feelings that DM is

struggling with, and (hence my 'pride' post up there) it is a sensitive matter indeed.

Very personal stuff, makes me wanna invite the bas team for a "Mead Weekend" in Denmark.

Drown all the sorrows in well brewed nordic waters! blues.gifbiggrin_o.gif

j/k

nevertheless, I still think that the best solution is to lower the "king" part and

strengthen the "person-who-likes-to-make-and-play-with-addons" part.

And then off course meet up (if possible) and drink some beer together!!!!!

Quote[/b] ]Or 56Kers wanting addonmakers to keep every thing under 1 mb

I don't, I download anything on my 56k without complaining.

Alright TS, I pm'd you about this to clarify it better.

This obviously wouldnt be the right place to carry this on.

The squeaky wheel always gets the grease...

yanno, terrorman, as I read the post, sissyshark actually DID make a quite witty post,

commenting how some addonMakers appearently need "grease" to get them to roll on. wink_o.gif

cant blame a man for wanting some grease, especiallly not if it ends up like an mah60.

unclesam.gif

I think deadmeat and other addon-makers have the feeling that the community is spoiled because a lot of people like me just use the addons they like and don't post to say "i like it" as much as the ones who are complaining.

Thats not the idea, and thats definately not how I feel about it. Infact, you people are the ones we like the most, as you:

a) Don't fill up our threads with mindless spam.

b) Actually use the addons in missions or for MP play, unlike the people who play with it for 10 mins in the mission editor, and come straight back saying "this is sweet/crap".

c) Are the quiet level-headed majority who actually put some thought into reporting bugs, and read the readme before doing so.

Infact, this whole topic is to promote more people like you, and less people who post mindless spam. Afterall who cares if you think its sweet and you're downloading it now?

@macguba - excellent post mate, and I think it backs up my statements and ideas about how the animosity within the addon making community, and the users is rife.

I especially agree with

Quote[/b] ]Bizarrely, it's considered more acceptable to criticise an addon and it's maker than it is to criticise the criticiser.

That is entirely my point in this thread, especially so with m21mans comments. He posted something non-relevant to the topic, so I posted that it wasnt, then I got "jumped on" because I had posted that he was in the wrong (handy example there, ty m21 wink_o.gif ) This is exactly the kind of attitude that I would like to see change in the community, and simply "sitting back and ignoring it" isnt going to make that happen. So far, all the ideas that I have proposed to try and remady this have either been disreguarded (for valid reasons) or glanced over with a "simply ignore it" comment. This is where some form of community "solidarity" WOULD have an effect, as the flamers would come to realise that they are not impressing anyone in the community, and would be recieving that "smack in the teeth from the monitor."

Quote[/b] ]hope you understand my point here, m8, being lesser "king" and more "person" will automatically bring more humility to us all (when online) and that is what kills the bad sides of "pride".

I would like to point out, that (especially in my case) I have NEVER proclaimed myself "king" or "god" or anything like that. All I do is make addons, post them up here, then get angry/upset at the amount of spam or the flames that they get. I'll quote a PM I got this afternoon from Bobcatt of RHS:

You BAS guys kinda get put on a high pedistool in the ofp community by the fandom of OFP

This we NEVER asked for, all we did was release addons. Like he says, its the "community" that has "made" us what we are, and its also the "community" which gets us down. All we ever wanted to do was make addons, we're not in this for fame or fortune, and we don't want to cast aspersions on the entire community.

@Bmot and Tim Pink, excellent posts guys, clearly well thought out and with some real feeling put into them. This is exactly the kind of posts I want to encourage, as it will lead to better addons and a happier community as a whole (especially happier mission and addon makers, who do not have to put up with a wall of flak every time something is released)

As for that "Mead Weekend" I'm there, I'll need it after all this! tounge_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

lol, then have a brew on me, d00d  biggrin_o.gif

and yes, I know yer not a "king" typo - I just like extremes to clarify the point.  wink_o.gif

(an' I like 2 provoke ppl - i wanne see their true feelings online!)

Quote[/b] ](an' I like 2 provoke ppl - i wanne see their true feelings online!)

my feeling is that you should try to use proper english spelling.

wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ](an' I like 2 provoke ppl - i wanne see their true feelings online!)

my feeling is that you should try to use proper english spelling.

wink_o.gif

you obviously haven't tried danish beer!!!

(and the only reason for me to comment you is that dinner isnt ready yet _ *get on with it biatch*) biggrin_o.gif

Let's stick to the topic.

Tuborg is good but if you want true beer then go to Germany or Try Czech Rep's Pilsner Urguell  wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Or 56Kers wanting addonmakers to keep every thing under 1 mb

I don't, I download anything on my 56k without complaining.

That is silly, even in Malta I went to Internet shop and downloaded everything at top speed and they burned it on CD. That is realy the sillest complain I have heard. But if I know correctly the larger addons take OFP capacity as well no?