Sign in to follow this  
dm

The "community"

It's a start, it's simple yet to the point, and can be used whenever you would "normally" just flame them back.

Yeah that'll solve your problems, do you normally flame them back? I don't.

Can't you just tell them straight that it's not cool and they should stop instead of throwing a sticker in their faces? Wouldn't just telling them be the simpler, honest and mature thing to do, instead of lowering yourself to their level? That sticker will only make things worse IMO, same as flaming them. If you tell them politely and tell them how things should be done, maybe they'll listen. In some cases, humiliating them with a sticker might make them hostile and try to save face by attacking you (yeah they're immature) instead of thinking about it.

Can't you discuss it like normal people? If they continue with their bad behavior a moderator can take care of them, they've had their chance.

I remember a quite well-known member was slagging off a Stalingrad island that was released, and after some people, including me, told him he was behaving badly I guess he wisened up and stopped, if not apologized IIRC.

My point is: Forget the sticker.

Quote[/b] ]I remember a quite well-known member was slagging off a Stalingrad island that was released

Because the island was grotesquely large, it had no beaches (The land just ended), and many of the buildings were unenterable. I remember that island, and I removed it from my hard drive a long time ago.

He wasn't pointing out any faults in the addon, just saying it was shit, which was not constructive and very rude.

ignoring flamers and whiners

Did you not read the last page AT all??

Everyone won't accept the same position as you just because you stated yours, deadmeat. rock.gif

edit:code error

Also, d'oh read that other post of mine again 2 pages back, I forgot the word "bugs" in the bold part, probably looked pretty funny.

After we enabled the "report post to moderators" we've received alot more messages on misbehaving members and the likes. I personally feel that we moderators have dealt with more of these issues after this feature was enabled.

I feel it is working great and the forum has less flaming and misbehaving.

What I would like to know from you members are; do you feel it is the same amount of flames today compared to say 6 months ago?

I dunno, I just generally steer clear of the A&M sections due to the bad vibes emanating from them. Hell, the last time I asked a question in there I got flamed for my VIP status- go figure. I think a little bit more decorum and respect all around is in order, but I doubt that will happen. I'd rather the addon makers just deal with the situation in a decisive and objective manner, much in the way I outlined in my previous post. As for inter-addon maker drama, that's beyond my capacity.

What I would like to know from you members are; do you feel it is the same amount of flames today compared to say 6 months ago?

Sorry, can't answer this question. I'm visiting this forum (regular) for about 4 month only.

But i think there isn't as much flaming and misbehaving like this threat let you think off. Especially after i visited some other forums (OFP and other games like CS) i can't barely understand the "anger"(?) of some members.

I can understand that it is not very nice to release an addon or mod and to receive the one or other useless, unconstructive or just stupid answer. But are there really so much of them?

I think the most of them are just thankfull answers or constuctive bug-reports. So why to make such a BIG thing about this 1% of them?

I don't know a way to stop them doing this except banning them (but is this the right way?). Perhaps you know one ...

The "Flaming-Stamp" is a nice idea ... but i don't think the flammers will care about that. On the contrary it will just give them a reason to flame more and more (if they are as "childish" as i think)

...i'll stop now ... things like that were written about 20 times in this post ... this will just end in a "cul-de-sac"

Mfg MEDICUS

PS: Sorry for my english  sad_o.gif

After we enabled the "report post to moderators" we've received alot more messages on misbehaving members and the likes. I personally feel that we moderators have dealt with more of these issues after this feature was enabled.

I feel it is working great and the forum has less flaming and misbehaving.

I can't really say, because i (unlike DM) don't get flames directed at my person and usually i ignore flames that are not even directed at me.

I was thinking about what would be a good solution to the flaming problem and thought about personal killfiles and a grading/marks system. So users could vote posts by other users good or bad and the user would get a score by this and you could set a filter to show only posts by users having positive scores and could filter out those people you dislike with your killfile. Like what most usenet newsreader can do.

Well, that's utopia, at least for now. And what we got in the present is the report function. If it makes a difference how many people report a post i will try to make use of this more often in the future, to help people that get more flames than i do. If each reported post is treated the same regardless of number of reports i will not do that, because then the target of the flames should decide himself. So how is this reporting issue handled? And do you even want posts reported that may not be a full breach of forum rules but posts "considered flames by some"?

The ofp community is quite small, you know most of the "active" people by nickname, and most flaming comes from guys you know actually nothing about, ie people that did not even contribute interesting postings in this board, let alone services of any kind. You don't know how long they have been around or how long they are going to stay with ofp anyway. I'd advocate the "don't feed the trolls" policy, but if there were a kind of voting system i would surely use this too to help mod flamers down. So maybe something like this could be implemented in this forum?

I don't know if I have noticed any decrease, but I think BI Forums has always been pretty civil, especially compared to most other forums. The moderators here are very active and professional, and keep the boards calm and orderly. smile_o.gif

EDIT: You're welcome Shadow, @All I'm not using it for the topic at hand or "sucking up", I really mean it and I think our mods are doing a great job. Just so you know wink_o.gif

I don't know if I have noticed any decrease, but I think BI Forums has always been pretty civil, especially compared to most other forums. The moderators here are very active and professional, and keep the boards calm and orderly. smile_o.gif

Yes but we can even make it better, sometimes there really are some people who just don't have manners and respect and it isn't nice when these people slam of addons where you worked on really hard

Yes but we can even make it better, sometimes there really are some people who just don't have manners and respect and it isn't nice when these people slam of addons where you worked on really hard

I think we're in a loop here, folks.

Quote[/b] ]The "Flaming-Stamp" is a nice idea ... but i don't think the flammers will care about that. On the contrary it will just give them a reason to flame more and more (if they are as "childish" as i think)

I like the idea of "Flaming Stamps". Also, make consequences very severe for receiving them (Have punishments such as complete post count resets wow_o.gif ).

I think we're in a loop here, folks.

Was thinking the same thing  wink_o.gif  But there need to be consequences for these flaming, bad-attituded, bad-mannered mostly just bored people

By the way like the idea of the count reset  wink_o.gif

Avon you almost reached the 3000 posts!

I was thinking about what would be a good solution to the flaming problem and thought about personal killfiles and a grading/marks system. So users could vote posts by other users good or bad and the user would get a score by this and you could set a filter to show only posts by users having positive scores and could filter out those people you dislike with your killfile. Like what most usenet newsreader can do.

If it makes a difference how many people report a post i will try to make use of this more often in the future, to help people that get more flames than i do. If each reported post is treated the same regardless of number of reports i will not do that, because then the target of the flames should decide himself. So how is this reporting issue handled? And do you even want posts reported that may not be a full breach of forum rules but posts "considered flames by some"?

The ofp community is quite small, you know most of the "active" people by nickname, and most flaming comes from guys you know actually nothing about, ie people that did not even contribute interesting postings in this board, let alone services of any kind. You don't know how long they have been around or how long they are going to stay with ofp anyway. I'd advocate the "don't feed the trolls" policy, but if there were a kind of voting system i would surely use this too to help mod flamers down. So maybe something like this could be implemented in this forum?

If I understand you correctly you want to "ignore" members who have less than "x" rating. Would'nt that bring more bad than good?

Because it is user-voted and can easily be abused by the "wrong person".

We treat all post-reports equally.

We want reports on what you (the members) see as breach of forum-rules or misbehaving attitude (flaming or lead to flaming). I trust your good judgement on that. If in doubt, report it smile_o.gif Worst case you just fill the moderators' inbox.

Quote[/b] ]I don't know if I have noticed any decrease, but I think BI Forums has always been pretty civil, especially compared to most other forums. The moderators here are very active and professional, and keep the boards calm and orderly. smile_o.gif

Thank you on behalf of all the moderators, Gollum1 smile_o.gif

This is one of the things that encourage us to stick it out and keep it up smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Avon you almost reached the 3000 posts!

Trust me, she's reached that point many times wink_o.gif

We want reports on what you (the members) see as breach of forum-rules or misbehaving attitude (flaming or lead to flaming). I trust your good judgement on that. If in doubt, report it smile_o.gif Worst case you just fill the moderators' inbox.
Quote[/b] ]Avon you almost reached the 3000 posts!

Trust me, she's reached that point many times  wink_o.gif

But the point also was that people piss because the joy of pissing (you don't need use bad language for it) so you can't report that to a moderator

3000 posts still is a special happening wink_o.gif

3000 posts still is a special happening  wink_o.gif

My real post count is more like 11,000+ but moderator Ralph Wiggum punished me for bad behavior. But who cares!

<span style='color:pink'><span style='font-size:27pt;line-height:100%'>WOOHOO!!

3000 POSTS!!

WOOHOO!!</span></span>

Stick that in your nose, Ralphie! tounge_o.gif  wink_o.gif

Well what'ya know?

spam = postcount-reduction.

Geez when will you learn? wink_o.gif

1. Could you lighten the shadowing around the text a little to improve readability?

2. What's with the French flag in the background of the THANK YOU image?

What about this one?

thx02.gif

Shouldnt it be 'to all the hard blah blah...'  rock.gif  smile_o.gif

Dunno if the forums would support such a feature (are they MySQL or whatever?) but ideally being able to limit flamers to 1 post / day for a week in the first instance, 1 post / two days for a month for persistent offenders etc. ought to nip it in the bud pretty quick and allow time for people to cool off before rejoining the fray.

Shouldnt it be 'to all the hard blah blah...'  rock.gif  smile_o.gif

Hmmm, really? Ok, I'll change that. Sorryfor that, but my english isn't so good. sad_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Dunno if the forums would support such a feature (are they MySQL or whatever?) but ideally being able to limit flamers to 1 post / day for a week in the first instance, 1 post / two days for a month for persistent offenders etc. ought to nip it in the bud pretty quick and allow time for people to cool off before rejoining the fray.

These would be two excellent steps in the right direction, I know I would support them fully. The point being, until we start putting some effort in, nothing will come of it. I will agree that this is allready one of, if not the best community there is, but could we not put that extra few % into it, to make it the best, most polite, happy and productive community there is, and set an example to the rest of the world. (hmm... maybe a wee bit cheesy, but what can you do...)

Quote[/b] ]Yeah that'll solve your problems, do you normally flame them back? I don't.

You weren't on the recieving ends of the comments about the De/Ra when that was released, nor the MH-47's or OH-58's or Tonal. Yes, whilst there was a lot of praise and constructive posts, there were also some very hurtful and personal attacks in there, and as they say first impressions count. One post that was exceedingly hurtful to me was made about the policie pack, and went like:

Quote[/b] ]yea w/e this thing is dead and i haven't suspected any thing more from Deadmeat
That hurt me, as the person who posted it KNEW I was busy with other things, and that I had only suggested about updates, not confirming that they would come into fruition. And it wasn't the fact that there was this one post like that, but in many other threads, even on different boards there were attacks like that. What I would like to know, is WHY addon makers "have" to put up with that kind of treatment for providing a free service to the community. (Don't say "well then just leave" because thats not an option, all I want is an answer to that question.)
Quote[/b] ]Can't you just tell them straight that it's not cool and they should stop instead of throwing a sticker in their faces? Wouldn't just telling them be the simpler, honest and mature thing to do, instead of lowering yourself to their level?

That would be a better way, we came up with the "sticker" because it was a simple way of "telling it to them straight" without having to write an essay post like many in here. Also, I thought they would be more likely to look at a "flashy" graphic than to read a ream of text. But a pre-written post (saved in the handy-dandy users notepad) could be copied/pasted into place just as easily.

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions (as allways) so suggest away (in the constructive manner that you have been suggesting)

Here we go again:

thx06.gif                        thx05.gifthx07.gif

Whether you make a thousand peeps happy, or just one, its still worth creating the addon just to please the lone guy out there who loves it to bits. wink_o.gif

And yea, if it wasn't for the likes of BAS, RHS, Angusheaf and everyone else who has ever contributed an addon to the ofp community nobody would be playing this game at this point, or at least not in the numbers they are now, gj guys.

Surely one of the other ways to deal with all this would just be to ban certain words? Like "suck", "crap" and "shit"? It's a bit 1984, but if you control the language....

Surely one of the other ways to deal with all this would just be to ban certain words? Like "suck", "crap" and "shit"? It's a bit 1984, but if you control the language....

Censorship is bad, mmkay. Besides, what's wrong here is the fundamental behavior, not the language. I can be just as rude and insulting without bad language as I can be with it- language is just a tool, not the root problem. If you ban curse words, you fail to address the real problem: a lack of respect and empathy for fellow members.