Sign in to follow this  
crashdome

Looking for old game similar to ofp

There was a real old game based off of Navy Seals back in......oooh early 90's maybe? All I remember was that the traps were obvious and the AH-1 kicked some serious ass. Does anyone know where I might find a copy being sold somewhere or something?

I've been reminiscing....

Oh, man. The memories.

Nothing like laying waste to VC tax collectors with a Stoner M-63, then calling in a Bronco air strike -  just to be sure.

And there was this one campaign mission where you had to take out an NVA officer, then the next mission you assaulted his funeral, bagging some valuble intel in the process.

I remember I would always call for emergency extraction because I was too lazy to walk to the LZ. tounge_o.gif

I know that it's available from a certain popular "abandonware" website, but I'm not sure whether saying more is against the forum rules or not.

you can find a copy here... looks legit.

And if anyone has been able to run it with dos box, let me know. Mine runs slooooow for some reason.

Can someone walk me through the installation here. I am quite lost...

Can someone walk me through the installation here.  I am quite lost...

I second that, I am totally lost aswell smile_o.gif

Ebud I've removed the link, there are questions about legality of "abandonware" so I don't think it proper we advertise such sites on the forum.

OFP always reminds me of an old Amiga game called `Hunter'. Think it's the island setting as much as anything. That and the freedom to wander around wherever you want. Ah, Hunter was great.

Yup same here, Hunter and also Midwinter, both mentioned in a couple of classic game threads you should be able to find by searching for those two games smile_o.gif

Was Hunter about hunting dinosaurs? I remember playing a game on a friend's computer about a year or two before OFP came out where you hunted dinosaurs (IIRC) on a really big island. I remember thinking it would be perfect if the dinosaurs were actually soldiers... rock.gif

try Cannon Fodder. that game rule as well!

oh, i remmber those poor jops and jools guys, and the tune "war never been so much fun" wink_o.gif

Thanks for the tips guys.. I got an old pentium 133 at work thats needs a home and a version of MS-Dos 6.22 that needs to be dusted....

Cannon Fodder was awesome btw

try Cannon Fodder. that game rule as well!

Yea, war never been so much fun....

The game rocked on the amiga, but the transmission to PC actually made it crap. Graphics were made worse etc.

Was Hunter about hunting dinosaurs? I remember playing a game on a friend's computer about a year or two before OFP came out where you hunted dinosaurs (IIRC) on a really big island. I remember thinking it would be perfect if the dinosaurs were actually soldiers... rock.gif

Nope, you shot soldiers in hunter and you could drive vehicles or even fly choppers.

And bicycles, and windsurfers ... could it actually have been MORE sophisticated than OFP??? wow_o.gif

And bicycles, and windsurfers ... could it actually have been MORE sophisticated than OFP??? wow_o.gif

Nah. tounge_o.gif

In an older posts, i have added a scan of my Hunter (french) retail box , for my good old AtariSTe

You can see it by clicking here , there are 4 screenshots of the game on this scan for people that never saw this awesome game.

In Hunter, you were able to swim without dying ;) (oh yes, the sharks...)

In an older posts, i have added a scan of my Hunter (french) retail box , for my good old AtariSTe

You can see it by clicking here , there are 4 screenshots of the game on this scan for people that never saw this awesome game.

In Hunter, you were able to swim without dying ;) (oh yes, the sharks...)

Hunter was great. I still have it on my Amiga 500. (And Cannon Fodder, which I still play. (Stoo was my hero. He couldn't be killed by conventional weapons. )

I originally found seal team on an abandonware website.. loved it so much.. I bought it!

If you can find it anywhere in retail box (Like I did), GET IT! The manual is really worth having on paper... It's like, flight sim size!

/me loves seal team

Must have been some crazy guy to think of the idea of making a shooter in a flight sim engine (At least, thats what it looks like.)

Bac si bac si!

/me halfheartedly plugs his remake of seal team/xcom in ofp and goes back to coding.