Sign in to follow this  
Skaircro

A-10 standard green, and grey version

This is just something I recently bunged together for a bit of fun, and to see some of my weapons on the A-10.

I figured I'd release it incase anyone else wants to play around with it.

Full credit to InQUisiToR for the grey textures.

It doesnt have any fancy stuff but if people are interested I could put in the scripts for flares and auto-eject, and I could also add other weapon setups, such as gbu10's and cluster bombs.

The config for the A-10s is same as standard BIS A-10, but the weapons are configured the same as with my other planes.

Download here: skc_a10_v1.rar

a10gy1.jpg

a10gn2.jpg

nice, definitely try to get those auto flare and eject systems workin wink_o.gif

maybe someone will be willing to update those old school textures tounge_o.gif

Oh an updated A-10 is something I have wanted for a long time, though I dont think thats what Skaircros after here.

Anyways it would be cool if someone could work on a hud for the A10, they should be a standard in all OFP planes by now. Oh and for the love of God, please make it possible to select targets witht the cannon (just for the targeting crosshairs, not an actual moving cannon).

@One: There is a updated version (with one in grey too) form Inquisitor since a very long time....

Very nice job. Flares ato would be very cool.

Cool! A version with flares and other additions to bring it up to the standard of recent aircraft releases would be great, as well as a variety of loadouts what with the A10 having so many weapon systems available to mount. Also if possible a realistic config instead of the BIS config. smile_o.gif

the grey textures were by giaky who used to b in opgwc actually wink_o.gif inquiitor used them with permission

Another recommendation for improving the A-10 is to change the 30mm Avenger Cannon sound to something more realistic.  In real life it sounds more like the cannon sound that the G8 mod team uses on some of their aircraft addons.  It sounds really wierd like a weed-wacker, a lawn mower, or an elephant farting (or combination of those sounds)  

smile_o.gif

Actually quite a few airplane addons are using that G8 gattling gun sound.  If you can't find an addon to rip it from I can find it for you if you PM me.   But if you can find an original recording of the Avenger cannon that would be even better.  

At any rate, it sounds nothing like the BIS sounds.   On the battlefield the sound of the A10's cannon firing is something you can hear from far away so I think it's important to replicate this in any realistic A10 addon.  

Ah here's a video clip that I found here showing the A-10 firing a short burst. It gives you an idea of how it sounds like. You will see what I mean about it sounding like an "elephant fart".:

http://ww2.a-10.org/a10-3.avi

Here's an AWESOME VIDEO showing the A10 on a gun run:

http://ww2.a-10.org/a10-4.avi

There are more A10 videos at:

http://www.a-10.org/a10-files.html

These videos should inspire you! smile_o.gif

Also you might check out Footmunch's aircrafts for ideas on how to add really complex weapons loadouts like on his Mig-27.  They are unbinarized so its fairly easy to figure out how he made them usually.  

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I would recomend you to have a look at the FSS - Flight Supervision Systems scripts by TakeOfTim.

This is the page where you can get them.

Go to prefabs and then scroll half way down the page to see it.

I haven't tryed, but looks good.

@CERO.

We sure could use an updated A-10. You might want to adjust the armour level, since this is the most heavily armoured fixed-wing aircraft in the US arsenal. Also some variety would be welcome to the weaponry. Maybe something like 2 ŔIM-9Ms, 6 MK-20 rockeye cluster boombs, and 6 Mavericks. Also the GAU-12 should rip through armour like there was no tomorrow.

Also the GAU-12 should rip through armour like there was no tomorrow.

On old T-64 tanks, not the newer ones...

And even on T-64s it could only penetrate the back, roof and some side spots.

The Gau-8 isn't really needed anymore, mainly since the U.S. has so many effective cluster muntions and use of the JSOW for anti-armor duties tends to make the use of the Gau-8 against heavy armor kind of pointless.

Now for tearing up ifv's, lighly armored or soft convoys, houses, buildings, etc, etc. it would be perfect.  When you need to squash a small bug or make the scum run for cover, use the Gau-8.

Hmm well the ofp really needs a good A-10 and if you do it with all those new scripts Skaircro it will be cool!!!But what about your not finished projects the F-5 and F-111 are you going to finish them rock.gif

Goddammit... Did I say GAU-12? (Equalizer, the one on AV-8B Harrier) I meant GAU-8 Avenger. *slaps himself*

Ahem! The warthogs have killed Iraqi T-72's using that gun, and in Kosovo the GAU-8 killed Serbian MBT's. The Avenger is the most devestating gun ever used on an aircraft to date. The depleted uranium rounds just punch right through the top armor, and spawl inside. If you hunt around you can find pics of Iraqi MBTs that were recovered with more than a dozen softball-sized holes on the turret. And of course, the engines, treads, and external fixtures like optics get wasted first.

The only reason the A-10 is still in service is it's incredible ability to destroy armor- even with it's gun. Sure, with newer munitions like the SFW, and the WCMD in addition to Hellfires, and Mavericks, MBT's are practically immediate death traps once the Air Force and Army close air support comes to play. But the A-10, and it's Avenger cannon still eat MBTs for breakfast. And like the B-52, there is the awesome psychological impact the warthog has on the enemy. The Iraqis and Afghanistanis have learned the hardway, the terror the A-10 brings to bare. It's the Angel of Death to them.

I'm certainly glad I'm on friendly terms with that beast.

FerretFangs is right. The GAU-8 has no problem chewing through a T-72 or a T-80 or a M1 for that matter. All it takes is a good 1.5 to 2 second burst.

And a 2-second strafe is a looong one.... 150 roubds of 30mm fun  smile_o.gif

The M-230 on the Apache can do it too. It just takes alot longer smile_o.gif

The Hog recently got a new nickname too: Chopper-popper. I can't remember where, but a Hog dropped a MK-82 right into the rotors of a moving chopper  biggrin_o.gif

Needless to say, the GAU-8 is a killer against the choppers too  tounge_o.gif

I had the chance to see an A10 doing live runs on a older M1 Abrams. Also got a look at the M1 afterwards, i Can assure you that the GAU8 can penetrate that armor.

That seems like a lot of money up in smoke! ...do you think they could do it again so I can see it too? smile_o.gif

I wish!, anyway, just to clarify, the M1 in question was one of the orginals and was deemed to costly to maintian, so they decided to let the air force have fun with it, at least that's what they told me.

I need to clarify a couple of things: I can't add combination weapon loadouts, HUD, or anything else that would require modifying the model itself since it uses the standard BIS model which is binarized.

I will however: change the cannon sound, 'tweak' the plane and cannon config a bit, and add in some scripts.

I'm looking into what Chriz said, that the textures are by Giaky (not that I don't believe you Chriz, I just want to be sure.....which is what I should have done in the first place).

I know InQUisiToR said special thanks to Giaky in his A-10 Bomber readme, but I figured that it was just for random help.

As for my other planes, I am still working on them as well as another plane I've been making. I like to have a few different 'projects' to switch between so it doesnt get boring.

Thanks to everyone for feedback and info.

i never meant to acuse anyone of anything i jus saw those a-10 tex in the first ever desert storm mod and giaky wiz the main texturer so i thought it wiz his i am sorry if i offended ney1

One effect that should definitely be implemented on the next version is FDF 1.2's Avenger cannon firing effect which is extremely realistic. smile_o.gif