Sign in to follow this  
Supah

Nogovan Armed Forces Project

I remember in the CWC campaign that they said there were ten thousand people in a town on Everon :]

It must have been market day at the time.

biggrin_o.gif

I believe we may have too look in to ground forces too seeing how many people are interested smile_o.gif

Before we start planning the size and equipment of NDF, we need to decide what is the primary task of NDF. Naturally it would the task of providing security to the island(s) of Nogova.

But what is the security situation in Nogova? Is there a insurgency problem? If so, then NFD should be counter insurgency oriented, it should have fast moving, highly mobile but lightly equipt security forces. That are capable on moving fast in to the trouble zones and push back the enemy.

Is nogova an independent country? Or is it part of Warsav or Nato? If so then it doenst need a big airforce, only some interceptors to guard the airspace on peace time. If there is a insurgency problem, it would need transport&recon helos, and possibly few attack helos. But not an army of air superiority fighters or anything big. Remember this is not an superpower you are arming tounge_o.gif

cool story with it:

1986, Nogova forces are planning a big attack on Everon or Malden (version: 2 of the islands) againts the russians. wink_o.gif

I don't think western aircraft are appropriate for the NAF (Nogovan Air Force). We should follow a scaled down version of the Czech Air Force, and by that, it should comprise almost exclusively of Eastern export aircraft.

Just my view, as shown in one of my earlier posts. smile_o.gif

I think the best choice would be the MiG-21 as the Nogovan Armed Forces main fighter. Its the most produced fighter jet in the world. Its easily maintained and parts come relatively cheap. Why still buy russian you ask? Well eizei pretty much summed it up here smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Well, we were preparing for a war against the soviets for almost 40 years and during that period we didnt fly a single NATO aircraft, some neutral countries kept buying eastern bloc hardware to keep their relations warm with the ruskies, no way Nogova would have jumped on the soviet toes if they werent a full member of NATO (and since WW3 did not break out Nogova was not a member of NATO, at least back then).

And BTR-80 sounds too modern IMHO, BTR-50/60 would sound more appropriate.

About Population size. If we take BiS their numbers about 10.000 people in a town on everon ... smile_o.gif Nogova is part of an island chain with the malden everon and kolgujev. Nogova's Lipany is an obvious choice for a seat of power of a country consisting of those 4.

I think a Reservist army would be best suited for nogova. For ground vehicles i am thinking T-55, bmp-1, BTR-60 and some trucks. The assualt rifle would be a AK-47/74.

I want to keep it real but also want an interesting mix of a/c and other weapons. If only the islands had oil wink_o.gif

I want to keep it real but also want an interesting mix of a/c and other weapons. If only the islands had oil wink_o.gif

If offshore resources were discovered...

First of all purpose, Finland purchased warsaw pact equipment because it was neutral and hadnt been invaded since WW2, Nogova has been invaded in the 1980s and was freed by a US sponsored force.

As for COIN, why would there be an insurgency in Nogova, the resistance movement clearly had massive support and a few hardline communists do not an insurgency make.

Nogova was blatantly modeled on the Czech republic but that doesnt mean that the future of Nogova would be the same as the Czech republics? Since the revolution in Nogova was a military one, I don't think anyone would support buying equipment on the basis of appeasing Viktor Troska's killer.

As for manpower for my ORBAT, the very nature of a highly motivated conscript force means that large numbers of reserve flying personnel would be included, and reserve pilots and technicians are ideally matched to maintaining light helicopters and aircraft leaving the Full time personnel to manage the more complex aircraft.

Therefore even a country with 10 or 20,000 could support my ORBAT especially under threat of invasion.

Now for the role, COIN is an unlikely scenario, TT and Recce are real considerations which is why they are well provided for in my ORBAT, border patrol and anti-smuggling operations being a big part of the duties of any nascent state military.

Combat aircraft such as AH-1s and Hawks serve the purpose of compensating for a relatively poor army's inability to field sufficient artillery support, (second hand M-60s or T-55s would also be vital as roving FSBs as opposed to offensive manouvre units).

Further more PC-7s and hawks can be used to provide a rudimentary CAP capability to prevent abuse of Nogovan airspace.

I see no reason to assume that Nogova has any direct political control or dominion of Everon, I'd rather let the FIA mod take the Eastern route, therefore I stick resolutely to a small Westernised Nogovan Military.

Am i the only one who thinks that those few tiny islands surely wouldnt have a big military?

I mean they could be happy with some guys in old cammo, steel helmets on and old armored vests armed with Aks, Fal´s and the usual eastern weapons.

They would be lucky if the had a hand full of Btr-60/70 and 1-2 Mi-8

If this lil islands really had a big military then its no wonder why the soviets invaded it, such a tiny region with so much agressor units  tounge_o.gif

Did you read the real world examples I posted, even Dijbouti has an AF near this size.

It is an entirely realistic proposition, defence spending is much easier when war looms, spend some time talking to any Israeli in the street and you'l learn that.

I think its not about what they should have already but what they would want to aquire since getting invaded.

As in, maybe the Czechs would want to help them out a bit since they didn't do anything before to stop the Russians.

Well the first plane is confirmed. FDF has kindly granted me permission to use their MiG-21 in an upcoming Nogovan Airforce Pack smile_o.gif Thanks FDF!

how about a mix of them? seems like prior to Guba's invasion, Nogova had plenty of eastern weapons such AKs. I bet that after invasion, they would have more of western weapons in response to the invasion. such would be FNs that were delievered by James.

good to hear that there is one confirmation already. you da man supah! smile_o.gif

Heres something that is yet to be established, are we organising a pre-Resistance Campaign force, pre-1985 Campaign force or post-1985 Campaign force?

Then and only then can we determine what aircraft should be used.

But in general, the Air-Force needs to be weak. Pre-resistance wise, it had to be easily steam-rolled by the Russians. Post-1985 wise, recovering from the war (probably with the aid of western countries.

But obviously, we don't want to create too much work for Supah, so far this is a one man band.

Heres something that is yet to be established, are we organising a pre-Resistance Campaign force, pre-1985 Campaign force or post-1985 Campaign force?

Then and only then can we determine what aircraft should be used.

But in general, the Air-Force needs to be weak. Pre-resistance wise, it had to be easily steam-rolled by the Russians. Post-1985 wise, recovering from the war (probably with the aid of western countries.

I was thinking to create Aircraft fitting all those periods.

Quote[/b] ]But obviously, we don't want to create too much work for Supah, so far this is a one man band.
I have allready recruited my RHS and NPAM partner in crime FW200 biggrin_o.gif also we may have someone to do scripting. If you however have some skill and feel like working with us feel free to drop me a line at supah@chaotic.nl smile_o.gif

For air defence maybe a SA-2 would be realistic choise. I dont know how much does it cost to keep those things operational but propably it aint too much.

I think Imshi-Yallah's ORBAT for the Nogovan Air Force is the best thought out so far. I'd only add a handful of additional fighters besides the Hawk, like maybe 4-6 MiG-21s and 4-6 F-5Es.

ATM i have three ideas for the airforce. A "Eastern" variant consisting of

Fighters:

Small number of MiG-23/27, nogova's top fighter ( i am hoping to get footmunch his permission to use his great planes)

Larger number of MiG-21 MF's. (secured FDF mods permission to use theirs)

Maritime patrol

IL-28 Beagle (again, hoping for permission from footmunch)

Maybe DC-3, no idea where to get it yet.

Transportation

DC-3 (see above)

F-27 (Fokker, would be fun smile_o.gif )

Mi-8 helicopter (still looking for anything nicer then the BiS model, if that fails ill use the BIS one)

Western variant:

A nogova "adopted" by nato

Fighters

BAE hawk

F-5 maybe

F-104 Starfighter

Maritime patrol

P3 orion

S2 tracker maybe

Transport

DC-3

F-27

Uh-1's

Variant three would be a mix of both smile_o.gif

P-3 Orions are big, old and very expensive. S-2 Tracker or something similar would be better, IMHO.

P-3 Orions are big, old and very expensive. S-2 Tracker or something similar would be better, IMHO.

Well old, these things have been upgraded allot smile_o.gif but yes they are expensive and hard to come by. And the S-2 tracker is cooler imho wink_o.gif

i know on e of the best maritime aircarft was and still is the bear beaten by the orion and nimrod

but its to big but what about the but what about a neptune?

http://home.primusnetz.de/vraab/neptune1.jpg

Well thats a possibility too. But keep in mind that we have only one modeler and two texturers so retuxtering stuff will be far easier for us then making them from scratch smile_o.gif