Sign in to follow this  
sether01

Best single player missions

What are the 10 best missions that show the best of  everything that OFP has to offer?  I imported this game from the UK (I live in the US) when it first came out, and have lurked here ever since.  Suprisingly, I haven't really found many SP missions that I would say fits in a "Top 10 list".  Granted, I haven't really done much searching .  I tried the Virus mission (can't think of the name), but ran across a bug that left me hanging with no way to proceed sad_o.gif   Very creative from the parts I saw though.      

But more to the point, what do you all, the people that have the same passion for this game that I do, think represents Operation Flashpoint as a War Simulator the best?  Don't have a favorite User mission? What's you favorite BIS mission then? And why?

Just wondering away,

Sether01 (aka The MightyMF)

Good thread sether01 smile_o.gif

Here are a few that spring to mind in no particular order. There are probably some technically better missions in terms of scripts/changing objectives etc., but here goes:

* "Airstrike" by Devilsguard - part of his 30 missions pack from Sebnampack(2). The firefight in this is so long and so ferocious, it's simply incredible! Playing this was the first time I felt "Yeah - OFP could really change videogames for ever". Many other great missions in those 30.

* Mission 3 - Insurrection campaign for Tonal/Tango pack by Nagual. Great to be have working CAS, the hill-town is amazing to fight in, the HD MG's are terrifying, ducking RPGs is a blast. You'd never guess you were fighting on the same island that has the swamps of Zinaba. (btw - is it me or are the textures on that Government Mi24 uncommonly fine?)

*Rebel Road for Tonal/Tango by Nagual. I remember this one with affection 'cause it's the first time I tried Goldmember's explosion pack smile_o.gif

* FDF Mod - Frontier Christmas 2005. Atmosphere. Love the cutscene and music smile_o.gif

*Operation Axe-Point by snYpir. Made with love by a master craftsman smile_o.gif

* Widow's Ridge by rock.gif?

Nice humour and big, solid mission. No addons required. What more could you want?

*Short Straight by CoC (For CoC UA) MP Mission but works well in SP. Great mission and the intro cutscene kills.

In fact, BIS should just get a big screen and sound system at the next E3 and loop this mission/cutscene... I mean honestly, who could give a sh*t about UT200X, or po-faced BS like Deus Ex2 for that matter?

*Unscripted War by ThruYerSternum.

This is pretty much everything I wanted OFP to be. Reminds me of EF2000, GTA3 or Longbow2 in the way you can just dip into a dynamic world, having to use solid plans and tactics 'cause you never really knowing what's coming. My favourite way of playing is to establish and secure a couple of LZ's, then just take a squad on aggressive patrol for a few days.

...Ah, the night vigils I've spent on napalmed hilltops, twitching behind my iron sights, praying for the dawn and enough reinforcement points to fly in a Marine rifle team ;) ...One request for version 2.0 TYS. Could you make it slightly less addictive please?  ghostface.gif

Loads more great missions out there. I keep meaning to learn to use the CoC interface. Must also give RTS3 and CTI a go, though I believe they're more MP-oriented?

I tend to use that nice Avon Lady's M.O.M. site to look out for new missions, then get the required addons together, then get the mission. By the time I've done that, playtime's over wink_o.gif Never mind...one rainy day I'll have a lot of fun!

Cheers!

Cornhelium

Ps. Sorry about the Deus Ex / UT comments. I know they'll be great and both series are v.important for videogames...OFP just gets me on the warpath, is all  wow_o.gif

Hey toadlife, just gave your mission a quick runthrough (really quick actually, I haven't had time to really sit down with it yet), and I have to say, kudo's! Great job man, it's a lot of fun.  Just what I was looking for.    

I do get an error though when I try to load a game sad_o.gif it says:

"Cannot load 'Users\Viper\Saved\missions\User Missions\operation_lojack_BAS.cain\save.fps'. Error 'No entry" at '/GameState/Variables/Item410/data.value'"

I get this error when I save using both the radio menu, and the -savegame cheat.

I'm running 1.94 and am using ECP and my addons are only the BAS, if that helps any.  Anyway, I'll have to give your mission a more in depth go later on when I have some time. As a fix, I'll just stop dying so much  biggrin_o.gif

ps. Nirvana! Sweet!

I do get an error though when I try to load a game sad_o.gif it says:

"Cannot load 'Users\Viper\Saved\missions\User Missions\operation_lojack_BAS.cain\save.fps'. Error 'No entry" at '/GameState/Variables/Item410/data.value'"

I get this error when I save using both the radio menu, and the -savegame cheat.

I'm running 1.94 and am using ECP and my addons are only the BAS, if that helps any.  Anyway, I'll have to give your mission a more in depth go later on when I have some time. As a fix, I'll just stop dying so much  biggrin_o.gif

ps. Nirvana! Sweet!

I hate LoJack (Play a mission 300 times and see if you still like it), but I decided to give it a try with ECP, and I ran into the same bug. This is a bug with ECP. If you disable ECP, you will be able to load your savegames.

If you really want ECP, you can also try running it with 1.91 and savegames *should* work as long as you wait a least 10 or so minutes before doing your first autosave. The crash can still happen with 1.91 though.

Your final option is to of course NOT die :P - That option is kinda hard through wink_o.gif

Glad you like it.  smile_o.gif

by no specific order:

-Assault support by Anmac

-Widows Ridge by Ian Murray

-Op.Lojack by Toadlife

-Siberian Fox by Steven

-Davidian by Slayer/LoneSoldier/GodSendDeath

-RTS by Karrilion

-BAS missions by Nagual

-ShortStraight by Dinger

-Blood Note (FDF) by .........

and many more i cant remember right now

Hi all

Short Straight definately it is in the CoC Unified Artillery pack

But if you want to try some bigger battles

Abomb's 2 Battle School missions your chance to control a whole platoon.

Battle School and CoC missions

Also at the above link my own BS06 Planned defense of 1800 yard front read about it here your chance control a mixed arms heavy enhanced company. From the same source and in the same vein Saint Marie Hill: a mechanised infantry company assaults a fixed enemy hill position; shades of hamburger hill. Read more about it and get all addon dload links from this page Sante Marie Hill

All four of the above missions are available in both PBO and editable version meaning you can use them to create your own missions.

Most of the missions in this thread are independantly reviewed on the OFPEC mission editors pages meaning you can find more missions by the same authors and get a good idea of their missions before you even dload them. The missions are searchable by author, mission name, rattings etc. So that is a good place to start finding new missions.

Kind Regards Walker

Operation LoJack 2 - Toadlife

Operation Firelord - Devilchaser

Facile Ground - Sui

Assault support - Anmac

RTS - Karrilion

Widows Ridge - Ian Murray

RED

In no particular order.

Op Firelord

All of Anmacs missions

Sui's Facile ground plus wrestling with the bear

Nearly all of Naguals missions

TJ's air raid and NAM csar and other of his great maps like Air raid and so...

Intruders Hornets Nest

Intruders ( i forgot the name but it was on of the best Wingman missions ever made with a Su-25) sad_o.gif

Many of Q.A.D's missions like USSR Spring strike and Supplies shortage..

Davidian by Slayer

JF's Diary by Joerg... ( too bad he didnt make more missions)

Those are which i remember fondly from the daysof good ol original OFP and 1.46 and some are from resistance days as well but the old ones are much nicer IMO

smile_o.gif

Munch studios' Hawk In Nets & Hawk In Shadows. The later is actually a little old minicampaign. Not many people know them, but if you try them, you'll see what outstanding amount of work was put in them. Hawk in Nets has IMO some of the BEST cutscenes ever.

Facile Ground - Sui

Hey i was in that mission!!!!!

I played the part of Lt. Hogan wink_o.gif

Facile Ground - Sui

Hey i was in that mission!!!!!

I played the part of Lt. Hogan wink_o.gif

Yeah, I was the engineer. -- "MEDIC!!!" tounge_o.gif

LOL, it was fun doing all those lines and really cool to hear them while playing.

Some other cool missions i like (that where not made by me) are:

Siberian Fox by Steven

Davidian by Slayer, LoneSoldier & GodSendDeath

How not to be seen by Reikoku & LFA

Facile Ground (Obviously tounge_o.gif ) by Sui

007: Death & Defiance by Pulse Studios (ok, so i was on the team that made this one, i still like it so shoot me)

Schturmovik by Griffin

and some MP ones:

Operation Lo-Jack By Toadlife

Bravo Two Zero by Col. Kurtz

Air Cavalry (the one with the Jimi Hendrix song in it)

The Meeting

Sorry for the missing links and Author names for some of the MP missions, i couldnt find them anymore.

JF's Diary by Joerg... ( too bad he didnt make more missions)

He did! Heres a link to another great mission by JörgF., called green devils! scroll to the bottom of the page for the english version!  

Green Devils

The Diary 2 is only available in german!

Yeah but some of your missions LAG for me sad_o.gif

Like that Ww2 We stand alone together ...

I just finished the Insurrection: Prelude campaign and have to add missions 4 and 6 to my favourites  biggrin_o.gif

Mission 6 has to have the scariest twist ever in OFP! There I was with my ambush set up, listening for the engine of the target truck and maybe a couple of UAZs when what do I hear but...[won't spoil it] ghostface.gif

It was so great falling back through the scrub and over the river bridge, keeping cool and covering for my men even though I was mighty scared (especially when the RPGs started flying  wink_o.gif   ) All I can say after that is...Give thanks for the FAL - I do believe you can stop a bull elephant with it  tounge_o.gif

Wow, seems like I'll have a lot of missions to check out.  I tried Operation Firelord, but it gets hung up in the opening cutscene where <spoiler space>

The engineered guy is trying to lift a 5t truck. At least I think he's trying to lift it. It seems to be stuck in the ground, as it just moves a little then starts vibrating.  I let it sit for 5 minutes and it was still happening. =( I really wanted to play this mission too sad_o.gif.  Ah well, I've been checking out some of the other missions and I must say, you guys have good taste smile_o.gif.  Give me a few more days, and I'll compile my own top ten and let you guys know.

Yeah but some of your missions LAG for me  sad_o.gif

ahhh, sorry to hear that sad_o.gif i guess that mission should come with a "high-end system needed" warning label with it.

Yeah but some of your missions LAG for me  sad_o.gif

ahhh, sorry to hear that  sad_o.gif   i guess that mission should come with a "high-end system needed" warning label with it.

What kills me evn more is the fact that the mission is on Malden (meaning low cpu intensive wrp) plus i have a decent PC sad_o.gifmad_o.gif .... not even Facile ground by Sui lags for me.

I wonder if the town (La Trinite) has anything to do with that. I don't have that many Infantry and i only have a couple of Vehicles in it. I even got rid of many barricades but even though i have no lag, obviously others like yourself do.

*Scratches head and mumbles to self*

This is indeed very wierd i think theres something wrong with la Trinite itself , its always beena Lag center like that Miles Teg mission in which he mimics a Sean Connery voiceover tounge_o.gif (i think it was his mission) that also LAGS too much too sad_o.gif