Sign in to follow this  
blackdog~

California on fire

$33ker @ Oct. 29 2003,13:15)]
A lot of overseas news agencies are getting the info completely wrong..

What do the american media say? Who started it? Al Quaeda? rock.gif

Is was probably the muslim commie nazis!

crazy_o.gif

$33ker @ Oct. 29 2003,14:15)]
A lot of overseas news agencies are getting the info completely wrong..

What do the american media say? Who started it? Al Quaeda? rock.gif

Go to my first post on this thread and make sure you read from there through my 2nd post. biggrin_o.gif

ok Debka says AQ could have started the fires, but debka also says this:

Quote[/b] ]DEBKAfile reveals: European NATO members hatch new scheme to dismantle Jewish state by subjecting Israel-Palestinian conflict to international control.

So I didn't see a reliable source of information yet.

Who's responsible for the fires? rock.gif

That's all I want to know! wink_o.gif

it was a matter of time before copy cat turned up.

just yesterday, they plastered the sketch of person they are looking for in relations to fires, but i can't find them today.

$33ker @ Oct. 29 2003,20:42)]ok Debka says AQ could have started the fires, but debka also says this:
Quote[/b] ]DEBKAfile reveals: European NATO members hatch new scheme to dismantle Jewish state by subjecting Israel-Palestinian conflict to international control.

So I didn't see a reliable source of information yet.

Two things:

1. About the fires, Debka says that back in July, the FBI received a warning about the potential of intentionally lit fires. Debka did not say that the current fires were started by terrorists.

2. I vaguely agree with Debka's assesment of Europe's intemtions.

Quote[/b] ]Who's responsible for the fires? rock.gif

That's all I want to know! wink_o.gif

I told you to read on from my 1st post to the response that follows it until my second post.

I know what you mean. I just want a response from somebody who lives in the USA whether it really was an uncautious Hunter, or not! I took that AQ thing only as an example for someone who could be suspected. biggrin_o.gif

BTW:

I'm going to watch a documentary about Israeli generals in the world of politics on Franco-German TV now. It's going to be about Sharon, Rabin and Dayan. wink_o.gif

Things are looking really bad... the cedar fire has a front that is 42 miles across and is only one or two miles away from merging with the other fires to make some kind of super fire.

The fire is 0% contained.

and i would not count on enjoying those days off the school. AFAIK, those missed days will be compensated by taking equal amount of days off from upcoming summer vacation.

one of our local news reporter(Chuck Henry - if you are old enough, he's the one who hosted 'Eye on LA') almost got killed yesterday by the flame.

and today, one firefighter lost his life.

it's interesting that police say that the arsonist will be charged with homocide since there were 4 deaths realated to the fire. AFAIR, those were all heartattackes. so far 18 lives are lost, and some of them died when they refused to evacutate and stay put at their places.

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/2594051/detail.html

Quote[/b] ]SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- The state is now spending an estimated $9 million a day fighting the Southern California wildfires.

What's more, Gov. Gray Davis is issuing an executive order taking upon the state the full financial burden that fire-stricken communities would otherwise bear for fighting the blazes in Los Angeles, San Bernardino, San Diego, Ventura and Riverside counties. That local cost could reach $250 million on top of the state's potential $200 million in firefighting costs.

The state is anticipating a 75 percent reimbursement from the federal government but usually would split the remainder with local governments. Instead, that local share will be absorbed by a state budget already facing a projected $8 billion deficit.

this is going to cost a lot of headache for this state. we are already in need of fiscal constraint and this is not helping at all. most of the burnt houses and etc can be replaced through insurace claims and when the insured gets the money, he/she can rebuild his house, so loss in terms of economics is not as big as it usually is seen. however, there will be some loss and how that will be recuperated will be a big question.

well, I have this test which I was absent to take and I had no idea how to complete the problems on it (math, obviously) so I don't care TOO much.

I really feel for the people of Cali. We go through the same thing every few years here in Sydney with bushfires attacking the city from every angle, even within. I suppose that is the price we pay for having urban sprawl and nature parks in the middle of residential areas.

I remember one fire last year that come near my uncles house on the outskirts of the city. As it burnt towards his house hundreds of animals (snakes, rabbits, rats etc) came flying out past us trying to escape the fire.

If anyone has ever seen and heard one of these fires moving at high speed it is truely unbeliavable. The trees literially blowup in front of you because of all the oil in the leaves, well Eucalypt trees do at least (I think Cali has heaps of Eucalypt trees as well). It is not the fire that is dangerous but rather the wind and hot embers carried carried by the wind KMs infront of the fire thus starting new fire fronts. These are usually what get inside the roofs of houses and cause them to burn.

Hopefully they can get proper fire breaks in place and contain these fires/stop the new spot fires before they do anymore damage.

Blackdog do you know if they are using the helicrane waterbomber (Elvis and Georgia Peach) those things are unbeleivable and saved so many houses here last year.

forgot to add that they are now getting assistance from military. don't know where, but earlier today, i saw Chinook dropping water.

I had this idea... I know it will do hell on the engines of these helicopters, but what about having CH-53's equipped with high pressure water cannons in the gunners ports and removeable water tanks in the cargo hold?

The CH-53 can fly low to the ground, spraying as it goes. Besides, CH-53 pilots are already used to being in nearly 0 visibility when landing.

I think the main reason is that no hose, no mater how much pressure is behind it, can't deliver enough water to a wide enough area in such a short amount of time. Those skycrane choppers (and planes for that matter) dump their entire tank of water (which holds some enormous amount of water) in 3 seconds wetting a huge amount of area (hundred od meters). I know with bushfires at least hoses are almost useless, not sure about scrub fires tho.

I remember seeing on TV a huge fire front lashing at the back fence of houses, then one of those skycranes came in dumped its water, no more fire and houses saved.

Other problem would be the rotor downwash would tear houses apart if they were operating to close to houses. I know that was a worry with the Skycranes here.

we've rented several MI26 this summer in prevision of forest fires

Lets see....Arnie becomes Guv'nor....then there's a natural disaster almost straight away. Call me crazy, but I think the two are linked! crazy_o.gif

wink_o.giftounge_o.gif

My Dad lives in Escondido, San Diego, and the fires where less than 2 miles from his house before the the wind direction changed. Phew what a relief. If his house had burned down, he'd really be in the shit since he doesn't have any house insurance. Got a phone call from him yesterday saying that things are OK again, although the air quality is so bad you have problems breathing even indoors.

Here in Norway the only natural disasters we have to worry about are: avalanches, rock/mud slides and floods. Gotta count ourselves lucky

@[TU]$33ker: according to my Dad, one of the San Diego fires was caused by a lost hunter firing a flare. He's since been arrested.

Thank you Phoenix. smile_o.gif

TV over here says that many people living in California don't have an insurance against natural disasters like bushfires. I can't understand why, because it's burning like almost every year somewhere on the west coast.

The reason my Dad doesn't have insurance, is that it's expensive for someone just settling down in the US. He's just been living there a couple of years, and has to build up his credit-history from scratch, even though he's had an excellent credit-history in Europe. Go figure......

It seems that some help from Mother Nature may be on the way

Rain expected to ease wildfires

On monday night the football game between the Miami Dolphins and the San Diego Chargers was moved to Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe AZ, There was no charge for tickets as they did not have enough time to print any and they had more in attendance for the game than they had the previous day for the San Francisco 49ers and the Arizona Cardinals game. The league asked that all fans make a donation to help with the relief efforts in CA and during the early part of the second half the announcers stated that they had far exceded the amount of money they expected to get.

Kudos to the fans for digging deep to help out!!!

The reason my Dad doesn't have insurance, is that it's expensive for someone just settling down in the US. He's just been living there a couple of years, and has to build up his credit-history from scratch, even though he's had an excellent credit-history in Europe. Go figure......

that's sad sad_o.gif

well, if there is some good new, the temperature fell down considerably to normal level. just a week ago, we had 'Indian summer' where one week in October would have summer temperature, followed by Santa Ana wind. 7 years ago, Malibu fire burnt at this time period.

last wednesday, day time high temperature was nearly 90 degrees, and now it 70 degrees today.

@[TU]$33ker: according to my Dad, one of the San Diego fires was caused by a lost hunter firing a flare. He's since been arrested.

I don't understand, this is precisely what flares are for, (I don't mean starting bush fires of course tounge_o.gif ) when you get lost... rock.gif

Why should he be arrested??

And yesterday they showed a Herc dropping some flame retardant smile_o.gif

But they shouldn't be fired in a dry wood where every little cigarette could raise hell! crazy_o.gif