Sign in to follow this  
Footmunch

Redressing the balance

Good news smile_o.gif

About bombing, well would it be possible to add something like a CCIP or some other form of bombing aid, as right now all we have to help us (apart from guided munitions) is the Mk.1 eyeball, and the dot in the middle of the screen is hardly suitable for bombing.

Good news smile_o.gif

About bombing, well would it be possible to add something like a CCIP or some other form of bombing aid, as right now all we have to help us (apart from guided munitions) is the Mk.1 eyeball, and the dot in the middle of the screen is hardly suitable for bombing.

Actually you do have a bombing aid.  You simply lock onto the target.  Then when you see the diamond on the box, you drop the bomb.  I normally hit my targets every time.  

Also to Footmunch:  THANK YOU so much for taking the middle road on the issue of realism vs. AI usability.  

I'm also greatly looking forward to THE BEAGLE!!!  smile_o.gif  

Oh by the way is the Vulcan still being worked on? I hope that if you have time, after the Vietnam planes are done with, that you're able to finish up that lovely aircraft.

Keep up the awesome work!!!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

This will include _many_ F-4 versions.

I luv ya man! biggrin_o.gifunclesam.gif

Quote[/b] ]Quote (Footmunch @ Dec. 01 2003,13:05)

This will include _many_ F-4 versions.

I luv ya man!    

I do too  biggrin_o.gif

...all this and a Sea Fury! Go Footmunch, go!

Good news smile_o.gif

Actually you do have a bombing aid.  You simply lock onto the target.  Then when you see the diamond on the box, you drop the bomb.  I normally hit my targets every time.  

D'oh...lol of course...

But I phrased that request wrong. What I was trying to suggest, was a more realistic bombing aid, like a CCIP smile_o.gif

Or even (I forget the term) an automatic drop, like you designate the desired impact point, line up with the vertical line in your HUD, and when the velocity vector reaches the designated impact point, the bombs are released automatically, like the LGB delivery method in GSC's F/A-18 smile_o.gif

I want a more realistic bombing method smile_o.gif

I was developing a new bombing aid, but the difficulty is:

1. It's quite hard to calculate the point where the bomb hits the ground, but I think I solved this, the main problem is rather:

2. It's not possible to make an external view with a custom cursor, cause if you make a camera (camCreate) you can't steer the plane anymore sad_o.gif

I remember seeing a CCIP script for Su-25 that used on-screen waypoint marker to show impact point. You know what I mean? Search OFPEC, it's got to be there.

HardRock:

Smith is right - you could place a WP at the calculated point

of impact, and update the WP position every .2 seconds or

so. It would have to be switchable (from the Action menu?

CCIP On/Off?) so that the player could turn it on for a bomb

run, but not leave a WP flying around during cruising and

takeoff/landing.

Also, does the CCIP calculation take into account terrain

height/sideAirFriction/Plane speed? There's nothing worse

than having a CCIP that actually shows the wrong point wink_o.gif.

Cons:

That sounds like CCRP - Continuously Computed Release Point.

That may be more difficult, especially with all the cue lines

in the HUD.

Miles:

The Vucan is currently in Alpha hell. I still haven't managed

to convince the AI not to 'swoop' when bombing, and it looks

silly to have a Vulcan dive in at 10m AGL. I may release it

'as is' with notes in the readme, or set up a 'bomb run' script.

I did have a Blue Steel (nuclear stand-off missile) version,

but it was a 'little' overpowered smile_o.gif.

CCIP: Designate a target and fly over it, once you get a solid diamond, release

RRCP: Only with AI gunners. Designate a target, issue fire command, fly over the target. The gunner will release the bombs.

Ok cool.

Don't worry about swooping problem.  That was a problem with that B-52 addon that came out awhile back.   However I figured out how to make it stop swooping on the map editor and instead just used triggers and scripts to camcreate bombs falling.  The only problem I had was getting the bombs to appear away from the aircraft so that the plane wouldn't collide with the bombs.  

I wonder perhaps if there is a way to add such a script into the .pbo file of the Vulcan so that a trigger would cause it launch a bomb release script in the vulcan pbo file... something like:    this exec "rkt_vulcan/carpet.sqs";

To keep the plane from dive bombing you simply set the AI pilot's behavior to "careless".    To make him fly at high altitude the mission maker will have to use a setpos script like:

this setpos [(getpos this select 0),(getpos this select 1), 900]

The last number is the only number that the mission maker needs to worry about as it will place the plane up at 900 meters.   That can of coarse be adjusted.   I forgot what altitude I used for the B-52 arc light strike mission I made, but it was just low enough where I could see them flying way up there.   The huge lines of explosions were very nice...well except when occasionally the bomb would collide with the bomber (if the plane pulled up or down while bombing) and then it would crash.

Basically I just wanted to illustrate that it's quite possible to make the plane do carpet bombing without diving.  

So I hope that you will release at least perhaps a beta of the Vulcan that's in reasonably good shape.  

It would be awesome making cutscenes of it taking off.  The tricky part would be finding massively thunderous engine sounds.  smile_o.gif   Also if the handling is improved from the very early alpha that you released a long time ago, I imagine it would be a very fun plane to fly around scaring people by thundering over their heads with that huge bomber. Very light black smoke trails coming from the 4 engines at low speeds (like at take-off) would also be super cool.   smile_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

You brought back some memories talking about the Vulcan Miles & FM. I remember seeing one at Yeovilton airshow in about 1983. The low-speed handling of that thing was amazing - I suppose with that big delta the wing-loading is very low when she's empty. Also, they had the aircrew talking over the P.A. system during maneuvers, and I swear you could hear the aircraft joints groaning over the radio wow_o.gif

And oh yes indeed, the engines. I've still got a loose wisdom tooth from the noise that day wink_o.gif

Truly a phenomenal aircraft.

A 'small' Footmunch Friday. There'll be a bigger one next

week. Some Sea Fury pics:

sf1.jpg

sf2.jpg

sf3.jpg

Alpha link: Zip file

Currently at 50% or so. Cockpit and sounds should be done

by next week. Please don't repost this at news sites, as it

is a _long_ way from finished.

great work on your Mig-23 Footmunch, never used to like flying jets but now i do biggrin_o.gif.

another thing which i dont often see is "bomb camera" but with yours (on your Mig 27) its great because it can help your aim(with practise) and you really do know where the bomb hit biggrin_o.gif

It's been silent around here for quite a while. Are you still with us, Footmunch? Remember, it's already Tuesday! wink_o.gif

Still here.

Working with a couple of mods (FLK and as yet un-

announced). Lot's of improvements to existing models going

on...

Il-28 Beagle 'final' beta some time this week (probably Friday).

Footmunch made a new thread called "Some stuff...". Discuss his new stuff there smile_o.gif