Sign in to follow this  
Lt_Damage

Detonator 51.10 drivers = no fog

Have just had a player report to me during one of our MP games that he could not see any fog at all. It was clear as day.

These images are from Desert Rats, which I think most of you would know it has fairly heavy fog.

http://wolf.ogn.com.au/images/screenshots/Screenie0011.jpg

http://wolf.ogn.com.au/images/screenshots/Screenie0012.jpg

The drivers found here remove the fog completely.

Not sure what can be done about this :/

More info on this driver:

Quote[/b] ]

English 51.75 Version:

Word has it this driver reduces image quality to increase frames per second

Controversial Driver rejected by Valve for use on Half Life 2 Benchmark

English Language file present only in this beta release

Controversial Driver used in the Aquamark3 previews

All nVidia cards are supported in this release

Files are dated: Aug 28, 2003

WinZip Packaged

Have just had a player report to me during one of our MP games that he could not see any fog at all. It was clear as day.

These images are from Desert Rats, which I think most of you would know it has fairly heavy fog.

http://wolf.ogn.com.au/images/screenshots/Screenie0011.jpg

http://wolf.ogn.com.au/images/screenshots/Screenie0012.jpg

The drivers found here remove the fog completely.

Not sure what can be done about this :/

sad_o.gif No fog is like cheating, only in map where is heavy fog....But I don't play maps such as desert rats smile_o.gif

The only option is to play maps with no fog. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

This statement sent to us by NVIDIA PR is in response to statements made yesterday by Gabe Newel of Valve in relation to the GeForceFX line of video cards. More on the subject and some of Gabe's presentation can be seen here.

Here is NVIDIA's mail to us here at HardOCP.

Over the last 24 hours, there has been quite a bit of controversy over comments made by Gabe Newell of Valve at ATIs Shader Day.

During the entire development of Half Life 2, NVIDIA has had close technical contact with Valve regarding the game. However, Valve has not made us aware of the issues Gabe discussed.

We're confused as to why Valve chose to use Release. 45 (Rel. 45) - because up to two weeks prior to the Shader Day we had been working closely with Valve to ensure that Release 50 (Rel. 50) provides the best experience possible on NVIDIA hardware.

Regarding the Half Life2 performance numbers that were published on the web, we believe these performance numbers are invalid because they do not use our Rel. 50 drivers. Engineering efforts on our Rel. 45 drivers stopped months ago in anticipation of Rel. 50. NVIDIA's optimizations for Half Life 2 and other new games are included in our Rel.50 drivers - which reviewers currently have a beta version of today. Rel. 50 is the best driver we've ever built - it includes significant optimizations for the highly-programmable GeForce FX architecture and includes feature and performance benefits for over 100 million NVIDIA GPU customers.

Pending detailed information from Valve, we are only aware one bug with Rel. 50 and the version of Half Life 2 that we currently have - this is the fog issue that Gabe referred to in his presentation. It is not a cheat or an over optimization. Our current drop of Half Life 2 is more than 2 weeks old. NVIDIA's Rel. 50 driver will be public before the game is available. Since we know that obtaining the best pixel shader performance from the GeForce FX GPUs currently requires some specialized work, our developer technology team works very closely with game developers. Part of this is understanding that in many cases promoting PS 1.4 (DirectX 8) to PS 2.0 (DirectX 9) provides no image quality benefit. Sometimes this involves converting 32-bit floating point precision shader operations into 16-bit floating point precision shaders in order to obtain the performance benefit of this mode with no image quality degradation. Our goal is to provide our consumers the best experience possible, and that means games must both look and run great.

The optimal code path for ATI and NVIDIA GPUs is different - so trying to test them with the same code path will always disadvantage one or the other. The default settings for each game have been chosen by both the developers and NVIDIA in order to produce the best results for our consumers.

In addition to the developer efforts, our driver team has developed a next-generation automatic shader optimizer that vastly improves GeForce FX pixel shader performance across the board. The fruits of these efforts will be seen in our Rel.50 driver release. Many other improvements have also been included in Rel.50, and these were all created either in response to, or in anticipation of the first wave of shipping DirectX 9 titles, such as Half Life 2.

We are committed to working with Gabe to fully understand his concerns and with Valve to ensure that 100+ million NVIDIA consumers get the best possible experience with Half Life 2 on NVIDIA hardware.

Brian Burke

NVIDIA Corp.

-emphasis mine.

is it ne good the 9800 pro??

Im thinking about getting it but ive got a ti4400 and Im not sure if its worth the money

That's probably how those snipers in America's Army can see me on mountain pass when they are WAYYYY beyond the visibility limits.

Funnily enough I tried this driver (which is unstable as hell) to see what all the fuss was about and I got plenty of fog smile_o.gif I hope this happens to other peeps.

Too bad Punkbuster wasnt around when ofp first came out www.evenbalance.com

It would of put a total stop to cheating for the players.

it checkes everything video drivers etc etc.

Hopefully Bis/ofp2 well team up with them before the game goes live.

Punkbuster was out when ofp came out?!? I used several other anticheat tools after pb before i started playing ofp...

9800 pro in ofp is not that great....

My ti 4200 worked gr8

My ti 4200 worked gr8

Im sry for goin OT, but posts like these really make me think if i should upgrade my ti 4200 or not, i will need a DX9 card in the future and i cant just get one that doesnt like OPF sad_o.gif .

My ti 4200 worked gr8

Im sry for goin OT, but posts like these really make me think if i should upgrade my ti 4200 or not, i will need a DX9 card in the future and i cant just get one that doesnt like OPF sad_o.gif .

his OT is lot trolling

i can run OFP in higher res with higer options faster than FXs ...

and i got 9800p :0