Sign in to follow this  
VXR

Lowlands Warrior - Progress Report

ever noticed the german version of the (mmp/bw-mod) bo105 in ofp uses JPG textures?  wink_o.gif

When i got the time I'll see if i can make the textures pac or paa

I did and that's why I deleted the addon.

And I know not everybody notices LAG with JPEG textures. It's a matter of video memory. But I don't see why I should have to use a 256 MB Video card for a game like OFP. OFP isn't made for jpeg textures.

I use a 128 and i dont have any lag at all either. I dont mind jpg textures, maybe the user should be able to choose?

ever noticed the german version of the (mmp/bw-mod) bo105 in ofp uses JPG textures? wink_o.gif

When i got the time I'll see if i can make the textures pac or paa

I did and that's why I deleted the addon.

And I know not everybody notices LAG with JPEG textures. It's a matter of video memory. But I don't see why I should have to use a 256 MB Video card for a game like OFP. OFP isn't made for jpeg textures.

I use a 128 and i dont have any lag at all either. I dont mind jpg textures, maybe the user should be able to choose?

see I have half of your video memory. Still normal OFP runs very well on my machine.

It's just a matter of how many things there are. You WILL notice LAG when there are too many different jpeg textured addons around.

I'm tired of this discussions by now. It's always the same. We are lucky that most addonmakers are reasonable enough to use pac/paa textures. But one thing is sure. OFP with JPEG will drive every video card to it's limit if it's used too much.

And another thing is sure. You can make beautiful textures with pac/paa.

I just beg people that they don't use jpeg to keep ofp playable for everyone. Maybe OFP2 will support better texture formats.

OFP isn't made for jpeg textures.

what´s the matter..OFP also wasn´t made for fastrope insertions, VTOL planes or flying into the Space with a shuttle .. but the community pushes OFP to the limit and beyond.

that´s what i like in OFP smile_o.gif

OFP isn't made for jpeg textures.

what´s the matter..OFP also wasn´t made for fastrope insertions, VTOL planes or flying into the Space with a shuttle .. but the community pushes OFP to the limit and beyond.

that´s what i like in OFP smile_o.gif

jpeg is something else. OFP can't handle it properly on a memory management basis and therfore the game gets unplayable for many people

The quality of jpeg textures, IMO, overrides a very small performance loss, and I  have a pretty old graphics card(Radeon 9000 64meg-if that can handle it, anything should be able to).  The quality of jpegs textures just cannot be done w/ paa and pac.

and that my friend, is the biggest mistake people make. pac/paa can look just as good, if done properly

(does OFP convert jpg to 256 color textures when reading them? I noticed gradient colors becoming a whole lot less gradient when I did a test with jpg textures)

anyway, I don't think the wee lill margin in better textures justifies a fair decrease in performance. Altho it might seem that it doesnt impact your performance, you will notice it when more then a few different jpg textures are used. I have, and I have a fairly good rig

Remember that Marfy's textures are NOT Jpeg and eveybody says these are some of the best textures made. Jpeg is not for OFP, so start learning how to make good Pac/Paa textures.

Quote[/b] ]pac/paa can look just as good, if done properly

Yes, Marfy's textures are great, but just think about how much more detailed, how much more depth, there would be if it was a jpeg. There's no reason why we shouldn't be trying to improve upon that quality. Instead of just being content with the amount of details that there are in addons now, why shouldn't we strive for better quality models, textures, scripts and configs. Just look and Inquistitor's high detail weapons. The guns look so real, and life like. They can actually compete with the quality of the textures from newer games, such as Raven Shield, etc. 256 colors are just not enough to make really wonderful textures.

Quote[/b] ]pac/paa can look just as good, if done properly

Yes, Marfy's textures are great, but just think about how much more detailed, how much more depth, there would be if it was a jpeg. There's no reason why we shouldn't be trying to improve upon that quality. Instead of just being content with the amount of details that there are in addons now, why shouldn't we strive for better quality models, textures, scripts and configs. Just look and Inquistitor's high detail weapons. The guns look so real, and life like. They can actually compete with the quality of the textures from newer games, such as Raven Shield, etc. 256 colors are just not enough to make really wonderful textures.

dude wake up. a single jpeg texture in reasonable size for details takes MUCH MUCH MUCH more space than a pac/paa.

The more different jpegs are loaded in video memory (and think of the tons of paa/pac's in memory for the islands and normal addons)

the fuller it get. plus you get more cpu load because the cpu so something (not sure what) with the jpegs.

It's that way. You can play with jpeg now and have little better textures (most people that make shitty textures do it shitty too in jpeg) and the more addons pops up the more unplayable it gets. Or you can keep the game playable. I tell you the performance loss isn't small. It's huge. You maybe don't notice it yet because you box isn't at it's limit yet. But you WILL notice it the more jpeg addons there are. I tell that all the time but people somehow ignore it.

here some vaules from philcommando from another thread

Quote[/b] ]

Image size File/Hardisk size Memory size

1024 X 512 tga image = 1,537,000 kb 2,037,000kb

1024 X 512 jpg image = 245,000 kb 2,037,000kb

1024 X 512 paa image = 342,000kb 342,000kb

512 X 256 tga image = 393,234 kb 525,288kb

512 X 256 jpg image = 94,666 kb 525,288kb

512 X 256 paa image = 86,000kb 86,000kb

256 X 128 jpg image = 31,787kb 132,072kb

256 X 128 paa image = 22,000kb 22,000kb

and here what Suma said:

Quote[/b] ]While JPG textures are stored very effectivelly on the disk, they are stored with no compression while loaded, because video card needs them uncompressed. On the other hand DXT compressed textures remain compressed even when being used. "

Posted: April 18 2003,13:48

Desert Dutch Green Berets.

Article

More progress

luchtmobiel.sized.jpg

@ Airmobile troops in DPM Camo

100KB ^ Link

(left) Mobile Brigade soldier, (right) Dutch Greet Beret

yap, looking very good smile_o.gif

i like the cloth wrinkles in the knee area. nice texture job there!

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments.

To give credit where it is due:

- The desert boot textures are based (with permission obtained via Vixer) on those of the BAS Rangers

- The crease templates are based on work by Mike Schell for Ghost Recon mods (as available on the following location: http://www.ghostrecon.net/html/skin-tutorial.htm) and subsequently adapted for templates for OFP

Regards,

Sander

<span id='ME'><center>ozanzac puts on his best impersonation of a beta tester</center></span>

Green light, release it now! tounge_o.gif  wink_o.gif

He he he, those fools............ oh shit, I haven't pressed add reply.

biggrin_o.gif

Gimme Gimme Gimme, release please

What kinda units will work with the weapons rock.gifwow_o.gif

O yeah gimme biggrin_o.gif

Three times? I think he got it the first time. Looking good Matthijs, will I be able to use your old marines with these new guns from scratch?

Hi,

The weapons and magazines use different classnames (Class names) compared to the Diemaco weapons used in the earlier KMARNS addons (downloads). The rifles and light support weapons will thus not be automatically changed to the new version. That will require either new definitions in a cpp file or changes to the init field in the editor, but that is in my opinion definitely worth the trouble.

Updated marines to go with the new Diemaco's are in the works.

mariniers.gif

Regards,

Sander

A Little update from Lowlands Warrior.

This is the edited Bw-mod (mmp) Wolf jeep.

There will be 4 or 5 different versions of this vehicle, more info about what versions will come soon!

Screenshot