Sign in to follow this  
Apollo

Making "bigger" island's by miniturizing the rest?

It's just a idea that popped into my mind: (my mind is a regullar idea popper)

The OFP map size limit is as far as i know about 12.5 km on 12.5 km big at max (correct me if i'm wrong) ,Since this could be impossibly enlargend ,would it be possible to create a impression of a bigger map by making exactly all the rest about for ex. 5 times smaller?

Though i think that this would have it's inpact on the level of detail possible on the model's etc. ,and it would need a lot of work to create or modify addon's to that size ,so i don't know if the idea would be feasable anyway.Bisedes again as far as i know due to technical reason's one wouldn't really be able to put more object's on such a map ,while with the impresion of being 5 times smaller ,the island would look like 25 times the size of a normal OFP map ,and thus would need 25 times more object's of smaller size to give the map the level of detail of a "normal" OFP map.I think that this could create performance issue's.Though afcourse with smaller decrease's of size ,for ex. in place of 5 times smaller 3 times smaller ,or only 2 times smaller ,would create impression's of a world 4 to 9 times larger ,and thus such sizes could maybe work performance wise.

Another thing may be that smaller object's may require less performance than a normal sized object.

Well ,it's just a thought ,any imput would be welcome.I'm interrested if this idea could work at some level.

The problem is you would be walking around like a giant.... wink_o.gif

Prob i think is you would need an entire miniature OPF for such an island, ive seen a miniature helicopter addon and on bis fun page theres a pic with some strange tiny dwarf soldiers, but it is nice to see ppl coming up with ideas, for example a scaled down OPF with less detail could be used for a RTS type game where the player could be a general or something, there are many possibilities for this great game engine smile_o.gif .

The OFP map size limit is as far as i know about 12.5 km on 12.5 km big at max (correct me if i'm wrong)

OFP island size limit is 51.2km x 51.2km

BIS had their own little miniature OH-58 model hidden in the config.bin coding. I don't recall it's classname though... it flew like shit anyway biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]OFP island size limit is 51.2km x 51.2km

Are you sure? That's quite big ,actually 2500 square kilometers in compariosn to the normal OFP 100 square kilometer sized islands.

How come's nobody made a map yet at those dimension's?

BIS had their own little miniature OH-58 model hidden in the config.bin coding. I don't recall it's classname though... it flew like shit anyway biggrin_o.gif

Didn´t Martin release a miniature Huey and Jeep long time ago?

The limit on mapsize is the amount of RAM your rig has, 1024x1024 is the largest size that can be run(just) on a 512MB(seems to be the average game rig amount) system IIRC. Theoreticly, if your rig could run it, visitor could make it, whatever the size...

You can 'reset' the scale in O2 can't you?. the handling would be the same if you reduced the weight in ratio I recon, though I don't see the point as you'd have the worst looking ground textures of all time!! biggrin_o.gif ...

Theoreticly, if your rig could run it, visitor could make it, whatever the size...

Not true. The largest island OFP engine handles is 51km which is 1024x1024 cells. If you try to make it larger, you get crash to desktop with some memory etc error.

Not true. The largest island OFP engine handles is 51km which is 1024x1024 cells. If you try to make it larger, you get crash to desktop with some memory etc error.

Actually the limit is not the dimensions, but the memory used by the cells. If you want really big landscape, you can do this at the expense of decreased terrain resolution - like using 100x100 m cells (or even larger).

Quote[/b] ]If you want really big landscape, you can do this at the expense of decreased terrain resolution - like using 100x100 m cells (or even larger).

By adjusting how many pixels you make a heightmap out of? Like making a 2096x2096 (visitor unit) size map with a 512x512 (pixel) heightmap?...

By adjusting how many pixels you make a heightmap out of? Like making a 2096x2096 (visitor unit) size map with a 512x512 (pixel) heightmap?...

Yes, but before by setting the Cell size from 50 to 100 wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Yes, but before by setting the Cell size from 50 to 100

How do you do this? I know how to make the square that buldozer shows/edits bigger/smaller (system preferences\real time veiwer\real size of one displayed square), but that only changes the size area that you edit/lower/raise/texture, ect. It does'nt make the map bigger or smaller, if you make the squares bigger, there are just less of them, no?...

PS, you can change the above to edit terrain with higher 'resolution/accuracy' while in the middle of a map, apparently it messes up some objects/roads that have been placed though, so it's best to finish all terrain editing(with it) before you start laying roads and objects...

I wonder if you can make trenches with it? Or ditches for road sides? Hmmm? I've got so many theories to test out, but I'm trying to learn O2/3D modeling, not improving my (basic) visitor skills! tounge_o.gif ...

Quote[/b] ]If you want really big landscape, you can do this at the expense of decreased terrain resolution - like using 100x100 m cells (or even larger).

No, you can define how far two pixels in the height map are from each other (has to be set in Visitor and in the islands config). Thus a 1024x1024 pixel height map may be 51.2km x 51.2km (=50m standard cell size), 102.4km x 102.4km (=100m cell size), or just 12.8km x 12.8km (=12.5m cell size).