Sign in to follow this  
krycek

Merkava mk.3!!

Could someone make this baby??Its a very good israeli tank.

mk3_2.jpgmk3_4.jpgmk3_5.jpg

Hope so , that has to be one of the coolest looking tanks there is,

next to the Leopard 2A6, and Challenger 2.

IMHO not so cool-looking but still would love to see a Merkava addon. smile_o.gif

Its reputed to be the most effective desert warfare MBT in the world, I'd really love to see this come out with the APC converted from captured T-55s, Desert Islands would well and truly conquered

This could be a tricky one to balance, as it can be classified as a MBT and an APC in the same mission. The size is suprisingly small, and can be used for effective deployment in urban settings.

Also, the smaller size enhances logistical deployments. I saw Merkava's all the time on what looked like standard commercial low-boy trailers with normal frieght tractors towing them when I was in Israel. The Armored Corp museam in Aijlon has the coolest video on a 270deg wrap around screen showing the tanks clearing some serious air out at the training grounds in the Negev.

Definitely one to have for heavy CQB action. When you have a guy in a house with an RPG, you don't want to send in troops in a soft transport. Plus the heavy guns help to even the odds.

This could be a tricky one to balance, as it can be classified as a MBT and an APC in the same mission. The size is suprisingly small, and can be used for effective deployment in urban settings.

The Merkava is an MBT.

Quote[/b] ]Also, the smaller size enhances logistical deployments.

MK measurements:

L=8.78 m

W=3.7 m

H=2.9 m

M1A1 measurements:

L=9.83

W=3.66

H=2.44

(Source: FAS)

Lengthwise it's a meter shorter, which is quite a lot but widthwise, the Merk is even a drop wider.

Quote[/b] ]I saw Merkava's all the time on what looked like standard commercial low-boy trailers with normal frieght tractors towing them when I was in Israel.

I would not call them standard. They're the heaviest trailer beds I've seen here.

Quote[/b] ]The Armored Corp museam in Aijlon has the coolest video on a 270deg wrap around screen showing the tanks clearing some serious air out at the training grounds in the Negev.

Yes. That film knocks your socks off, doesn't it?

I think a good amount of it was filmed in training grounds in the Golan.

Quote[/b] ]Definitely one to have for heavy CQB action. When you have a guy in a house with an RPG, you don't want to send in troops in a soft transport. Plus the heavy guns help to even the odds.

I don't see why the M1A1 couldn't do the same.

Damn it, I thought somebody was making a merkava 3 sad_o.gif

Please make the 3d! It's my all time favorite tank  biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I don't see why the M1A1 couldn't do the same

The M1 can't hide troops under it's thick armor, the Merkava can, but I think you mean the gun thingie right mum?

Damn it, I thought somebody was making a merkava 3 sad_o.gif

Please make the 3d! It's my all time favorite tank  biggrin_o.gif

There's a good likelyhood that Lost Brothers will make an MK3 based on the MK2 being developed, with appropriate external changes to the turret and internal changes to various config defintions.

Quote[/b] ]The M1 can't hide troops under it's thick armor

Most of the newsclips I've seen don't show the Merks being used to transport extra soldiers.

Quote[/b] ]but I think you mean the gun thingie right mum?
The gun thingie? crazy_o.gif Can you be a bot more technical? I have no idea what you're referring to.

A couple of clarifications to what I said. If you look at the specs from FAS and other sites (I think IMI has some vague vendor stuff) the troop-carrying / medivac mission configurations significantly limit the normal armor mission ammoload and operational rules. When I said 'apc', I only meant cargo capability, not true APC operation or design

As for the trailers, the US uses a custom extra-heavyduty multi-axle mess unique to the US military and a specific Oshkosh tractor. I recall seeing several merkava's being hauled on what would be considered 'decent' commercial-scale lowboy's for an average construction company here in the western US. They could have been stripped down chassis's though.

My feeling on the CQB side is that if the main gun barrel (at least on the MK4) is not significantly shorter than the M1, then it is at least set further back in the turret to allow for better turret rotation in narrow areas, as well as barrel stability.

Another point is that (iirc...) it has still the lowest turret profile (minimum turret exposed when firing from behind a hill) of any current MBT aside from one Sweden built.

@avon, thanks for the pics on your site from the Armored corp Musuem. Brings back good memories.

Don't know it well ever become a OFP Merkava, but i just love to model.

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

lol, i even don't know if i wil make it as a MK3 or a MK4.

Anyway, don't start thinking about a release. I only have modelling and texture experience.

Lengthwise it's a meter shorter, which is quite a lot but widthwise, the Merk is even a drop wider.

Wider is Better tounge_o.gif

Don't know it well ever become a OFP Merkava, but i just love to model.

http://users.pandora.be/EEChome/3DmaxPics/1.jpg

http://users.pandora.be/EEChome/3DmaxPics/3.jpg

http://users.pandora.be/EEChome/3DmaxPics/4.jpg

lol, i even don't know if i wil make it as a MK3 or a MK4.

Anyway, don't start thinking about a release. I only have modelling and texture experience.

What modelling programme is that DaSquade? I want to get into addon making but haven't found a programme that doesn't make me wanna trash my computer!!

*see "3Dmax" (5.1) ...pic  tounge_o.gif

Hehe, it very good. If you're new to modelling, check out  3dcafe.com , it has some good tutorials. Don't know other prog. are better or easyer, but i use it since years. You can texture your model form in 3Dmax and export it. (that's all i know, also started making addons a month ago.)  wink_o.gif

DaSquade,that looks cool,I wonder if anyone could help you finish it,it would be good if it can carry some infantry too.

In my opinion Merkava Mk3 has the best design,its so Sci-Fi and still its in our days,I don't comment on combat and armor stuff because I know its a good tank.

nice, these tanks r cool, would be nice 2 see 1 of these rollin round on the battlefield

Definitely one to have for heavy CQB action. When you have a guy in a house with an RPG, you don't want to send in troops in a soft transport. Plus the heavy guns help to even the odds.

That's why the LAV-25 was invented. It's also another reason for the Stryker.

That's why the LAV-25 was invented. It's also another reason for the Stryker.

the LAV's were not designed for urban combat, the US Marine Corps bought the LAV-25 inorder to have a faster more mobile force. The 1st-3rd LAI(Light Armored Infantry) battalions were designed to be sort of like the Soviet Motorized units. The LAV-25 and now Stryker are still very vulnerable vehicles, especially in tight areas in an urban environment. I'm not sure if you have been watching the news lately, but the Stryker has faulty armor that won't protect the crew nor the troops it is transporting from RPG's or even AK-47 fire in some tests. The US Army is applying adhoc 'armor' to the Stryker which will still leave the top very vulnerable to RPG fire.

I really cannot think of anything that I would want in an urban environment, I really do not see any middle ground. The LAV's/Stryker/etc. are just too lightly armored(henced they are named Light Armored Vehicles) for the urban arena, and MBT's, and most IFV's are just too big and with space at a premium in urban zones you are very vulnerable. I do not think we will see a medium vehicle for a long time.

George

the LAV's were not designed for urban combat, the US Marine Corps bought the LAV-25 inorder to have a faster more mobile force.

No vehicle in the entire U.S. inventory was designed for urban combat in mind.

The thing is, is that is perfect for urban warfare, however. Albeit, it is not armored as much as one would like to. But, a RPG-7 to the top of a M1A1 turret wouldn't leave even that in good operating condition.

The thing is is the LAV-25 is extremely versitale. That's the reason the USMC likes it. They can traverse rivers, fight in almost any terrain, and take the troops to battle with them.

The good thing about the LAV-25 is that it can transport small amounts of soldiers, yet it's small enough for trasnport on C-130 and is able to manuever through streets. In essance, it's as good as urban combat vehicles get in terms of sheer firepower and ability to deliver cargo (men).

or even AK-47 fire in some tests.

With all due respect, I highly doubt that.

As for the RPG tests, they prove what we already know. It's a light-armored fast attack vehicle/transport. It wasn't ment to take hits, that's why they would have armor support and troop support to make sure they aren't taking RPG rounds every 5 seconds.

The thing is that RPGs have mix-matched results. Prior to Mogadishu, we didn't know RPGs with some modifications were effective close-range AA munitions. That's one example of RPGs hitting weak points and bringing down a piece of hardware which we thought they wouldn't be able to take out.

Although a M1A1 Abrams could and would sustain multiple RPG hits, if you start hitting the engine compartment or tracks, chances are you're going to stop that M1A1 Abrams and allow yourself more time to shoot at it. It's doubtful just one RPG aimed anywhere at an Abrams could destroy it, but you can disable it. That's for damn sure.

Hmmm, just to let you guys know....i'm stopping the Merkava addon. Looks i still have to learn more (gave some 3Dmax --> O2 import probs. aspecially with mirrored parts  crazy_o.gif  and there piviot). And i think the turret isn't good.

1.jpg

2.jpg

So, if anyone was thinking of starting making a Merkava (3 or 4), good luck.  wink_o.gif  Hope someone does!!!