Sign in to follow this  
Jinef

Addon request: animation replacements

I was looking through OFP websites today and looking at addons, hundreds of addons are displayed with the JSDF animations, now these are good animations but why aren't there more? BAS has some good animations in their helicopters and RHS is making some, but those are specific to addons.

Would it not be possible to have an animation pack that makes OFP look more fluid by adding different running animations etc?

Ya I agree, I especially never liked the standing up rifle holding animation, I've never seen a photo of anyone holding a rifle and being slumped over like that, not to mention you would get severe back pains being slouched like that.

the running one is the one that bugs me, you trip and you jam your muzzle into the ground, filling the barrel with shit, not good. Generally i think the animations need to be tweaked a little bit just to make it look more interesting and realistic.

I have a beef with the kneeling pistol animation, it looks so stupid.... Why the hell will you aim a pistol whilst you're kneeling with your elbows bent!!! If anything I would make sure they're locked and that they are eye level, and parallel to the ground (Deck for us Navy guys)

Navy Guys?

So you gone back to being a sailor boy eh? Make up your mind lad!

Anyway, maybe a relaxed animation, walking with your weapon down. I don't know if this is possible. Here is an example of what i mean.

story.british.soldier.jpg

anyone notice when you're looking at ur sqaud in command view, all the ai soldiers are standing more relaxed, but your player controlled unit is in that stupid positon, all slouched with the his face up to the sights. how come theres no relaxed animation for player controlled units?

Navy Guys?

So you gone back to being a sailor boy eh? Make up your mind lad!

Anyway, maybe a relaxed animation, walking with your weapon down. I don't know if this is possible. Here is an example of what i mean.

story.british.soldier.jpg

It's posible but it takes an long time to make

well we got 2 years till OFP2. I'm sure someone somwhere might have the time in that period.

@ Sep. 08 2003,02:45)]Hehehe, he looks like French SF, and you gots 1 bigass sig Jin!!

Thats a Para.

If he were French he would be facing the other way and running.

If he were French he would be facing the other way and running.

rofl !!! biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Yeah the running animation is weird. I wish it'd look more like in America's Army. And the crouching pistol pose... that's really messed up.

Yeah running/standing should be replaced.

swat.jpg Maybe like the second from right--> standing and kneeing like the first right guy.

Or like

swat.h2.jpg

Or relaxed walking like this

soldier.jpg

Or this

US%20Special%20Forces%20Soldier%20Afghanistan%2011%2015%202001.jpg

I'd like to see a new animation for when you put your primary weapon away. For example, rather than slinging your rifle over your sholder, how about something like this, or perhaps this.

What about some throwing animations. I´d like to model a throwing Knife for OFP.

I think above all things adding realism to the game, animations are the key to making things look right. Getting in and out of vehicles is a pet peeve of mine. Ever see soldiers disembark from the PBR? They just magically appear out of thin air about 10m from the boat. How lame is that?

The number one animation I think should be made is a relaxed walking position with the rifle at the low ready as stated in earlier posts. Soldiers only sling their rifles on their backs on rare occasions, and certainly not in a combat environment. Walking with the rifle cradled in the arms and machine guns slung over a shoulder or the back is more accurate for a combat patrol.

when Soldiers not have a clear target and move in a formation (line) they almost never point their gun parralel to the ground. because they could hit their front man accedently.

Example1

Example 2

This is more how you would hold a gun whilst running in a "real" battlefield. But I am mostly bothered by how the soldiers look when they are running slow. When they run fast they look quite O.K. And the way the soldiers hold the gun whilst crouching is also very annoying. But

I am not very good at these technical things but i think it is possible to overwrite the default animations (some animations.rtm file or something) for everything with a mod folder. Adding new stances might be more difficult. However that would be secondary IMHO to just fixing the broken ones already in the game. I find it really really weird that some of the stances made it to the game even tough they had motion capture equipment for the game. NOONE aims like the way flashpoint soldiers do.. it's just so WRONG!

The one point in wich every other game beats flashpoint imho is the animations (well, maybe not SOF2 mp.. those are some wacky running anims).

In Ghost Recon, wich is otherwise inferior to ofp, the animations are much nicer.

Doing animations is hard however especially fluid ones like walking etc but i bet there is SOMEONE in the ofp community that could do it... This could easily be one of the best additions for _every_ game of flashpoint, like the HiSky addon by kege, but even better.

IMHO all the mod teams should cooperate on creating a nice new animation file...

I agree, but the mods are already bogged down with projects of their own. BAS seems to be nearing completion of all their advertised projects, but who knows what they are keeping to themselves and what they are interested in doing afterwards, if they are interested in doing anything at all. If I were them, I'd take a much deserved break. But a multi-mod community-wide effort to fix old animations and bring in new ones to the community would be a much welcomed project in my opinion.

I like the idea of someone making a mini-mod replacing the worst standard animations. I wonder if JSDF, who made the "JSDF Custom Animations" most of you know about, would be interested in this... In his pack of animations, there were two marching animations so he knows how to do fluent moving animations aswell as non-moving ones.

I like the idea of someone making a mini-mod replacing the worst standard animations. I wonder if JSDF, who made the "JSDF Custom Animations" most of you know about, would be interested in this... In his pack of animations, there were two marching animations so he knows how to do fluent moving animations aswell as non-moving ones.

Yea you are right..but he made them per initline and did you ever try the animations on your self? you get stuck in the position..or march on and on and on....till you reach the waypoint.

non the less... i hope someone can contact him and ask him.

awhile back i44 was making anims but that might be more towards ww2 but really  if u have seen sum movies and documentarys when soldiers are running and still aiming like never letting there guard down and they dont go to fast thats a good one ithink

i have a pic now

ps that may sound confusing lol.   wink_o.gif

pic

pic 2

pic 3 look at guy on far right

Once again on a "real" battlefield you need speed. To move from cover to cover. And then moveing slow is not your ideal. But in CQB and other circumstances when you need to be sneaky moveing slow with your weapon pointing slightly towards the ground is a good option smile_o.gif