Sign in to follow this  
SKULLS_Viper

Call of duty demo out!

Quote[/b] ]So you're telling me if a soldier sees a mine he'll jump over it instead of walking around it?

Certainly not. Noone will jump over a visible mine only to uncover the hidden one right behind the visible mine

Handbook of military no-no´s: Don´t ever jump over a mine.

For sure you can do little jumps with equipment and combat gear. Like over small gaps or within houses but these are little jumps only. Anyone who carries 30 kg knows how funny it feels for your knees and your back if you do jumps. Also heavy weapons make bad injuries to you when you do jumps from a wall for example and you get them in your face or the tube you carry on your back hits your neck and head from behind.

Jumping is for games not for real life military.

Jump over ditches. Jump over mines. Jump over low objects.

Its' applicable but the game engine has to be changed to inhibit woohoo-woohoo jumping mode.

So you're telling me if a soldier sees a mine he'll jump over it instead of walking around it? Or jump a ditch rather than find a safer route to cross it, what if he falls in the ditch and breaks his ankle? His whole squad is messed up from one moment of stupidity. Not to mention the fact that I can't imagine any soldier carrying a full pack plus weapon and ammo etc. can jump very high?

Although games over exaggerate it, a fit soldier can easily jump over a ditch/ stream/ whatever with all his kit on - and in most games they're only wearing webbing, not full bergans. When I was doing Cambrian Patrol we jumped over plenty of streams (and waded the rivers)

Although games over exaggerate it, a fit soldier can easily jump over a ditch/ stream/ whatever with all his kit on - and in most games they're only wearing webbing, not full bergans.  When I was  doing Cambrian Patrol we jumped over plenty of streams (and waded the rivers)

Indeed, exactly what our squad did in a night exercise.

First we were ambushed by an MG-nest. To escape the ambush we rushed in a little wood and jumped over a little stream (well some felt like jumping into it - bad idea in a late december night in Germany...)

Second we were supposed to go along a street, unseen by passing cars. And of course, there came a car our way and we jumped over the ditch at the roadside. Bad luck for some that there was a barb wire fence crazy_o.gif lucky me hit a rotten fencepole with his boot biggrin_o.gif

a thread on jumping? rock.gif

I dont quite remember..was it global operations... might have been but anyway there they solved the bunnyjumping thing in a pretty good manner. It only allows such a jump ever 3 seconds.

Call of duty is fun at the beginning but then later on in multiplayer one only finds bunnyjumping clans of former UT and RTCW fans ... it surely is no fun with such a realism-kill!

a thread on jumping? rock.gif

I dont quite remember..was it global operations... might have been but anyway there they solved the bunnyjumping thing in a pretty good manner. It only allows such a jump ever 3 seconds.

Day of Defeat also has severe restrictions on jumping while allowing you to go over obstacles you need to - with a stamina system. Also allows sprinting with stamina system.

CoD is crap, IMO. I completed it, but I felt dirty doing so.

I liked the way that Vietcong, Rogue Spear and Hitman: Codename 47 handled climbing over objects. I think that would work as a great substitute to prevent bunny hopping.

(Yes, Vietcong still had CS-style jumping.)

For those interested, the "Call of Duty: United Offensive" expansion is out. There's also an SP demo already available for download.

I picked it up the other day and it looks promising, i had some PC issues lately so i havent had a chance to try it.

It looks like your in the Ardennes in the US camp. Sicily with the Brits. (also get to be a door gunner on a bomber) and what i am looking forward to in the Russian part is some Kursk action.