Sign in to follow this  
Tigershark_BAS

Bas island - working title "lost island"

Some people have already seen pics sneaked into screenshots and such.

We can discuss some details and answer some questions.

Some features:

-Custom terrain textures

-Custom made buildings and textures, vegetation, objects (as well as some standard BIS objects)

-Thoroughly tested to eliminate lag where possible (still some areas that will require high powered machines)

-Sub tropical, jungle, temperate and desert environments.

-Large playing areas

-Substantial cities measuring kilometers in area.

This map, Nagual's baby will be one of the finest map releases you have seen. He has poured hundreds of hours into this and then brought on the BAS team to add the details such us custom textures and objects, and many optimisation techniques.

It will offer a exteremely diverse and well thought out playing area.

We may be able to start releasing more detailed pics soon.

Feel free to use this thread to discuss what you know and what you hope it will contain.

Will the island use any external addons like AGS industrial pack or Barracken addons?

Just curious. I would assume not, as I know BAS prefers not to include 3rd party addons in most of it's releases.

Do you think most of the buildings be enterable, or not?

Sounds Great, can't wait for it to be released! smile_o.gif

a few questions:

1) whats the ground texture resolution?

2) what will the file size be approx.

3) any rivers?

4) how many airports?

5) how large is the island?

looking forward to it...

I also wanna knof of a File Size range... I'd like to warn my 56k Friends... Im assuming it'd be pretty humangus.

Also does the AI Handle itself well on object such as bridges etc. or will editing be tricky when including autonomous AI

Well so far BAS looks like they will be setting out to making a campaign, they have released several varients of helicopters, special forces troops, they are making OPFOR and right now in development of an island. So yeah its does look like a campaign could come out.

Will the island use any external addons like AGS industrial pack or Barracken addons?

Just curious. I would assume not, as I know BAS prefers not to include 3rd party addons in most of it's releases.

No to 3rd party addons on the island.

As for enterable buildings....some will be enterable but in the cities most are not to save on complexity of the models...which leads to more buildings in one place for less lag.

BTW...Fubar...when did you sell out to the "man" sad_o.gif

a few questions:

1) whats the ground texture resolution?

2) what will the file size be approx.

3) any rivers?

4) how many airports?

5) how large is the island?

1) get back to you on that one

2) upwards from 30mb....it will be big....sorry...no way around that

3) yes...not ones that divide the island but lead inland from open water.

4)1 major....a couple of airstrips

5)Big....perhaps about as large as Kolgujev

I got faith it will be a excellent island.

Be kind of hard to mix all of those different terrain types mentioned in a kolgujev size island.

Might as well make it Nogova size smile_o.gif

LoL wishfull thinkin wink_o.gif

BTW...Fubar...when did you sell out to the "man"  sad_o.gif

Like I keep telling people, I'm bringing the system down from the inside! tounge_o.gif

Will you be releasing campaign with that island featuring BAS addons?

I am currently speaking to Jahve about converting Cold War Crisis (the original BIS campaign, and probably Red Hammer aswell) to use BAS units. So it won't use the new island, but you will get some missions to play.

As for a campaign on the new island (and probably the BIS ones too) you'll have to wait and see. Although, if anyone has some really good mission ideas, I'm sure we MIGHT be able to do something with them wink_o.gif

and probably Red Hammer aswell

Unlike the 1985 campaign, Red Hammer is a pay-extra campaign. Did CM give you permission to do this? rock.gif

*cough* You are joking? Its much bigger than Kolgujev, its bigger than Nogova, its 14x12 of the big grid squares whereas Nogova is 9x9, Kolgujev is 5x5 for the main portion, and then it has the little offshoot heading up to the north east, Lost island is a hell of a lot bigger than it...

*cough* You are joking? Its much bigger than Kolgujev, its bigger than Nogova, its 14x12 of the big grid squares whereas Nogova is 9x9, Kolgujev is 5x5 for the main portion, and then it has the little offshoot heading up to the north east, Lost island is a hell of a lot bigger than it...

Cool! biggrin_o.gif

Is this part of the BAS Island? Or is it a seperate map which Nagual is creating?

Thats part of our island, Nagual is only working on one island.

Wow, thats a lot of different terrain then biggrin_o.gif

Will the buildings vary on what climate you are in?

Like small huts (like SEB Ia Drang) in the Jungle area and sand blasted buildings in the Desert?

Wow, thats a lot of different terrain then biggrin_o.gif

Will the buildings vary on what climate you are in?

Like small huts (like SEB Ia Drang) in the Jungle area and sand blasted buildings in the Desert?

Yes

Best thing about it: it's somewhat large (me, I dream of a island almost filling a 25,6x25,6 km "world grid).

Hoping that the island has, get this, an interesting road network. Yep. Think "what chokepoint do we hold", "which march routes for the battallion to reach AA Sundance", "your mission is defence in sector between eastings 10 and 13 and the roads going west from the towns of Elmerville and Fuddstown".

Looking good from the screenshots I've seen so far. Lets hope it does not have drastic elevation changes like in northern Nogova. AI pilots have a nasty way of jamming helos into the hills there when going from the northern airport into the main island. Also, I hope for some large, flat, open areas.

Bridges! Wide enough for the AI to cope with them. Reading Cornelius Ryan's "A bridge too far", so I'm kind of high on bridges right now  tounge_o.gif

Oh, also, in areas near road turns, don't put those "slightly harder to run down" trees and bushes. On Ia Drang, the AI very often has to ditch a broken jeep after a while if I send it out on a patrol along the road - he constantly hits trees and stuff and eventually the jeep is busted.

will there be bridge and deep valley for us to fly under/in it??biggrin_o.gif