Sign in to follow this  
Wasrad

Playing without crosshairs and why i love it so...

well I think it goes without saying that the people who play with crosshairs need an easier game to play, hence the reason they cant play without them.

"persons whom do not play OFP to its fullest challenges"

Easy solution to both problems = LEARN TO PLAY BETTER OR GO PLAY COUNTERSTRIKE!

My main problem is with bringing up the iron sights.  Without crosshairs I simply don't know where the iron sights will be pointed when I bring them up.  So if I stumble across someone in combat, and don't know where I'm going to be aiming, I lose precious seconds trying to find them with the iron sights up.

In multiplay, if crosshairs are off, your opponent has the same limitation as well.

@ July 30 2003,09:56)]whenever possible, as stated earlier, i play OFP in 1st person, no crosshair, but, i have to admit there is one thing i really would have appreciated : that the "head movements" in vehicles pilot position would be less limited (like for some cargo positions) and that you can watch all directions... would be useful in choppers for instance and would void the only valid point pro-3rd person view ;)

is it a ofp engine limitation or is this a deliberate choice from the addon makers to limit pilot view ?

if it is an engine limitation wouldnt it be overridable with some camera scripting ?

edit: oh, and a larger fixed FOV would be cool too (like a user defined preferred default fov)

If you want to look around when you are a pilot, you can press the * key on your numpad and it will dosconnect the head from the aimer. Good for when you need to look around but don't want to completely turn a tank, yourself, or a chooper.  smile_o.gif

I cant count the number of time , when i wanted to land in a difficult place , my chopper ended to enter in contact with a tree i didnt see because of my limited vision (with the result of being bounced away of my goal).

I use this key when i am infantry, but i never thought of using it when flying in hard places, it will help me a lot now

Thanks for the hint Sgt. Milkman

well I think it goes without saying that the people who play with crosshairs need an easier game to play, hence the reason they cant play without them.

n00bz

Do i really have to leave OPF and move to CS because i like to use crosshairs? sad_o.gif , can i just play OPF with crosshairs under the n00b designation please sad_o.gif , i can play without them fine but i find the game more enjoyable using them. I know that the l33t fast paced gamers (CS, quake, sof2, MOH, DF...) like to call other players names because they dont follow their precious rules, i always thought that was not the case with the OPF comunity, that we were a diferent bunch, thank you wink_o.gif .

Oh and next time someone kills me should i ask if they used the crosshair or the sight? And should i call them n00bs if they used the crosshair? I dont think that would be very nice sad_o.gif ...

Once you started to play without crosshairs you get used to it. No need for an movement indicator. You will althoug get a feel to aim in the right generall direction before raising your iron sights.

A help for flying/landing Helis first person:

1. overfly or pass the LZ

2. find a nice place to land

3. find a ingress route without  high obstacles

4. look out of one of the lower side windows

5. use your ingress route and land where you decided to!

6. use low forward and descent speed

We want OFP to be a simulation (don´t we wink_o.gif) so let´s play it with what they gave us!

I never found a server with cross hairs off...

at least not with players in. Hope there will be some more.

Play the Cold war campaign with the FDF mod and you will not need super AI (it is harder to aim). Sounds are great and some nice small fixes. It is totally imersive! (some things should be fixed: Res mussleflash bug, shaking binoculars and they should exchange the original M2east with one of their nice new heavy east MG´s and they would make me happy)!

n00bz

I´ve been playing this game since the first demo came out so im defently not a newbie, i might not be so good at it but a "noob" i am not.

Please dont insult me by calling me a noob at my favourite game, why this "im better than though cause i play without crosshairs" attitude?

n00bz

Do i really have to leave OPF and move to CS because i like to use crosshairs? sad_o.gif , can i just play OPF with crosshairs under the n00b designation please sad_o.gif , i can play without them fine but i find the game more enjoyable using them. I know that the l33t fast paced gamers (CS, quake, sof2, MOH, DF...) like to call other players names because they dont follow their precious rules, i always thought that was not the case with the OPF comunity, that we were a diferent bunch, thank you wink_o.gif .

Amen smile_o.gif

OK then, next time i see a soldier get in a abrams i will tell him: "STOP!, you there, this is simulation and regular infantry cant drive tanks!!!". I guess the same should apply for helos and planes huh rock.gif .

We all enjoy playing OFP, which means that we all enjoy playing a game that's more realistic than CS. So the obvious question to Wasrad is, why do you feel the need to demean fellow OFP gamers with statements like

Quote[/b] ]well I think it goes without saying that the people who play with crosshairs need an easier game to play, hence the reason they cant play without them.

n00bz

You manage to ignore the fact that playing without crosshairs reveals some major flaws in OFP's gameplay. I've all ready given you a laundry list which you brushed off as laziness on my part, so I won't bother typing them up again. But the fact is that there are legitimate reasons to play with crosshairs that have nothing to do with players wanting a more forgiving or less realistic experience. How do you explain gamers who play without 3rd person, icons, or any other cadet options, but still keep the crosshairs? Doesn't seem like the behavior of noobs to me.

Really, I don't care if you play OFP with or without crosshairs. I have played without crosshairs extensively myself, and it can be a lot of fun in the infantry and light weapons only area. However, OFP extends beyond that, and many of its other modes require the crosshair to function properly. But I digress.

You bought the game, so you should have the right to play without people demeaning you because of the options you choose (or don't choose) to use. Conversely though, you should respect others who have those same rights. You have no right to insult other players based on using an option that the developers themselves have enabled in Veteran mode. From that viewpoint, the only person here acting like a noob, a close-minded and flame-happy noob, is you.

Once you started to play without crosshairs you get used to it. No need for an movement indicator. You will althoug get a feel to aim in the right generall direction before raising your iron sights.

EXACTLY!  All it takes it a little effort, patience and practice.  It really is not that hard and makes the game SO MUCH more immersive.

...why this "im better than though cause i play without crosshairs" attitude?

Because as far as playing the game goes, I AM.  smile_o.gif

But the fact is that there are legitimate reasons to play with crosshairs that have nothing to do with players wanting a more forgiving or less realistic experience.

Not for me, there isnt.  If anything, there are more "legitimate reasons" to play WITHOUT crosshairs, OFP was designed for this and it was done very well.

How do you explain gamers who play without 3rd person, icons, or any other cadet options, but still keep the crosshairs? Doesn't seem like the behavior of noobs to me.

You either play as cadet or vetern, there is no middle ground, only wanna be's.

...and many of its other modes require the crosshair to function properly

I cant find one thing in OFP the requires the crosshairs to be enabled for the function to work properly, certainly not "many".  I only play OFP with crosshairs off and everything works fine for me.  

You have no right to insult other players...

My question is this, though.  How is calling someone a "persons whom do not play OFP to its fullest challenges" an insult?  A "persons whom do not play OFP to its fullest challenges" is someone who is not as good at a game as others, the non-"persons whom do not play OFP to its fullest challenges".  I didnt say newbie, i said "persons whom do not play OFP to its fullest challenges".  Different forms of lingo, here.  I didnt call anyone an asshole or a democrat, I am just stating that they arent as good as they claim to be and are delusional (ok, so maybe Im indirectly calling them democrats).  If someone takes being called a "person who do not play OFP to its fullest challenges" as derogatory, they need to check themselves and get over it, and turn off crosshairs too, heh.

My question is this, though.  How is calling someone a n00b an insult?  A n00b is someone who is not as good at a game as others, the non-n00bs.  I didnt say newbie, i said n00b.  Different forms of lingo, here.  I didnt call anyone an asshole or a democrat, I am just stating that they arent as good as they claim to be and are delusional (ok, so maybe Im indirectly calling them democrats).  If someone takes being called a noob as derogatory, they need to check themselves and get over it, and turn off crosshairs too, heh.

This forum is not populated with kids , you will learn that there are a lot more mature people here than in your average forum.

If you cant understand why the things Tex was saying to you are true , dont be surprised if you will recieve a special treatment from the moderator there , as i remind you , you were already warned.

noob is an insult in 90% of the people agenda , remember that too.

Playing without a crosshair didnt make you superior to someone playing with it, it is just a different way of playing nothing less, nothing more.

behavior is something important in a discussion here , you are not in a kiddie forum.

This forum is not populated with kids

You know, it is so funny to me how can not find where I said it was...maybe you could point this out for me and maybe explain why you bothered to throw this comment in?

Playing without a crosshair [doesn't] make you superior to someone playing with[out] it

As far as the game it self...yes...yes it does.

Play a few SP misisons with it, then play without it and tell me it is not that much more challenging, that much more immersive and frankly, that much more scary!  Of course, this means that when you are engaging someone at 200m, you cant just fire from the hip with your cyberware crosshairs, you actually have to bring the rifle up and AIM  OMFG!!!

Ive made it clear what I do not see "person who does not play OFP to its fullest challenges" as an insult, only a level of gaming skill.  If anyone choses to take it as an insult then so be it but that is not the intention.  If me calling you a "person who does not play OFP to its fullest challenges" then maybe you should stop playing like one!

As far as my "behavior", I am not the one intentionally slinging insults.  I may say someone is a "person who does not play OFP to its fullest challenges", but only when they are in fact, a "person who does not play OFP to its fullest challenges".  It is like calling a human being a human being.  You are what you are.

Ive made it clear what I do not see n00b as an insult, only a level of gaming skill.  If anyone choses to take it as an insult then so be it but that is not the intention.  If me calling you a n00b then maybe you should stop playing like one!

As far as my "behavior", I am not the one intentionally slinging insults.  I may say someone is a n00b, but only when they are in fact, a n00b.  It is like calling a human being a human being.  You are what you are.

Dude, "n00b" is CS lingo for newbie, atleast where i come from. (n00b, noob, newb, newbie)

And a newbie in my book is someone who is new to a game (or anything for that matter), not someone who is bad at it....

When you play with crosshairs, you are just as good at it as someone who just started.

It is as simple as that.

End Subject.

P.S. n00b, much like most gaming geek lingo, has been around much longer than CS.

Sniper weapons become about useless at short range (like the real deal) giving small weapons like pistols more sense. You can even walk around with your pistols ironsights up and still have a relative good view. Just a shame that all movements when using pistols get so slow (you are walking instead of running).

You will not experience this with crosshairs on.

(and I just do not like these dancing crosshairs in the middle of the screen...)

I just hope to find more "chrosshairs off servers" in the future.

[How do you explain gamers who play without 3rd person, icons, or any other cadet options, but still keep the crosshairs? Doesn't seem like the behavior of noobs to me.

ROFL Wasrad u just made my day. I am just as good with cross hair as withtout. You talk so tough, but I bet that in the ofp field u would get walked over 2wice by most ppl.....

[How do you explain gamers who play without 3rd person, icons, or any other cadet options, but still keep the crosshairs? Doesn't seem like the behavior of noobs to me.

ROFL Wasrad u just made my day. I am just as good with cross hair as withtout. You talk so tough, but I bet that in the ofp field u would get walked over 2wice by most ppl.....

Is that a challenge?

You get me 3 crosshair players playing against lonely ol' me, turn off crosshairs and I will show you what its like to get walked over "2wice".

Personally, I don't see what the big deal is.... I bought this game to enjoy it and I'm not a "noob" but I do use 3rd person and crosshair. But for longe range shots I switch to iron sight view. I've had this game since it was first realeased, and I have bought RH and RES. And personally why should you criticize or demean someone by thier style of gameplay? I use 3rd person and I'm proud! biggrin_o.gif

If you want to look around when you are a pilot, you can press the * key on your numpad and it will dosconnect the head from the aimer. Good for when you need to look around but don't want to completely turn a tank, yourself, or a chooper. smile_o.gif

I know of that free look feature and use it, it's not what i was asking for, but since i have asked I studied the config files and seen how what i would like to have is possible [i event made some modifications and tested them]

What i was talking about is the ability to watch farther than the default 100° angle on either side.

i tested so that i could rotate my sight 180° and watch behind me in some choppers allowing for instance to check on the back seats, or to see if i am not too close to a tree behind the chopper when landing... too bad that it's not the default angle you can turn to when piloting, there would have been fewer reasons to fly in 3rd person view...

And personally why should you criticize or demean someone by thier style of gameplay?

You shouldnt but a "person who does not play OFP to its fullest challenges" is a "person who does not play OFP to its fullest challenges" and thats that!

I use 3rd person and I'm proud!

Well thats great!  Just dont expect to play with me, though!

I use 3rd person and I'm proud!

Well thats great!  Just dont expect to play with me, though!

Ooh, that sounds like a real privilege.

I may say someone is a n00b, but only when they are in fact, a n00b.  It is like calling a human being a human being.  You are what you are.

Calling someone a "n00b" is flame baiting, that's against the rules, I would suggest an attitude adjustment, share your thoughts by all means but other people are capable of doing it without flaming/flame baiting so you should be able to also.

I may say someone is a n00b, but only when they are in fact, a n00b.  It is like calling a human being a human being.  You are what you are.

Calling someone a "n00b" is flame baiting, that's against the rules, I would suggest an attitude adjustment, share your thoughts by all means but other people are capable of doing it without flaming/flame baiting so you should be able to also.

*does some post editing*

better?

Ok, i think most people use the crosshair for orientation and not to fire the weapon, but i fail to see what is so wrong about using the crosshair and where does skill fit in all this, take the G36 for example, you press the "V" key, a scope comes up, you place the little cross on the target and there you go, you are a skilled player because you can do that crazy_o.gif , i think weapon handling in this game does not require much skill, atleast compared with the real thing. I also think OPF is all about movement, when to move, where to move and also bout using cover and using your ears wink_o.gif ,i personaly dont like 3rd person view or cadet mode because it makes it easier to navigate but thats not a reason to say other people are worse than me. I also think that by now your point about crosshairs and what you think about ppl who use them has been made, you needed something that would make you feel superior/better than everyone else and you came up with this biggrin_o.gif , this thread should be closed now, no point in keeping it open, thank you for sharing and i hope you feel better now smile_o.gif .

Some people got used to play without crosshairs and in advanced settings in SP. Problem is that there are no (nearly no) servers with this configuration online, so we are kind of forced to play with crosshairs online...

If there where many servers with crosshairs off I would not bother to encourage people to play without.

I although want to thank and encourage BIS that they brought this new aiming system into the FPS-world. I will never buy a FPS without iron sights again!