Sign in to follow this  
USSoldier11B

Beer thread

My city, Ft. Collins, Colorado is home to some of the finest craft breweries in the U.S. I myself, am strongly an anti-macrobrew individual. (i.e. Budweiser/Coors/Miller) Many smaller U.S. breweries are returning to traditional European brewing styles to bring taste back to our beloved beverage. While some of us disagree in almost every aspect, I think most of us can agree that Europe pioneered the art of brewing the ambrosia of the common man. Basically the aim of this thread is to get the opinions of this multi-cultural forum on beers and what would be good to try to expand the horizons of us beer enthusiasts. Our best two breweries here are New Belgium Brewing Co. and O'Dell's Brewing Co. New Belgium produces of course, Belgian style ales in the Belgian monk tradition. While I don't care for their ultra-traditional brews because they are a bit too dark for my taste, some of their lighter selections such as Fat Tire Amber Ale and Sunshine Wheat are among my favorites. (Try them, you will be pleased, considering this is American beer.) O'Dells produces two of my favorite beers, 90 Shilling Scottish style ale, and Easy Street Wheat, and unfiltered citrus laced beer. Both breweries are becoming popular at exponential rates among the more cultured beer drinkers in America. Does the cities or countries you live in produce any beers that you particularly like. Mainly I'd like to get an idea of what to try out.

New Belgium

O'Dells

While I know these beers are not available in Europe, you might want to poke around some of your more refined liquor stores in the Western U.S. if you are interested

i'm not really a beer amateur , but 1 or two cans of cheap beer while watching Football or any other sport doesn't hurt

and from time to times , a "Pression" in a bar or things like that

but the best beers i've drank were the "pressions" or "demis" during the second part of my drill in the Foyer at Aubagne , i don't know what kind of beer it was , blonde , dark etc , but damn , it was great after a week of hard work

i had an uncle who has a red and blue 2CV with Kronenbourg written on its side for a long time when he was the owner of a Café tounge_o.gif

Grreat thread smile_o.gif I am working in a beer restaurant wich offers 15 beers in tab,and 80 beers in bottles...

The brewery that interests me the most in usa is the anchor brewery in san fransisco.They dont bring that many american beers in Finland,so i am totally out whats happening in the beer world over there...Many macrobrewerys have submerged lately here in Finland and things are looking bright.

Quote[/b] ]The brewery that interests me the most in usa is the anchor brewery in san fransisco.

Very popular among American micro-brew enthusiasts, but NBB is starting to give them a run for their money as their market reach has spread to California.

juist a small Q , do you spend your life drinking or ??

i mean , how can one know so much about beer ? tounge_o.gif

i knew of the vine experts but not of the beer experts tounge_o.gif

I have to know,its my work right now (along with studying)

And besides,its interesting.One doesnt have to drink more than one beer to get happy ;)

I'm an armed security guard in the civilian world (when I'm not in college) One of our sites that we protect is New Belgium Brewery, another is a large liquor store. I ask a lot of questions. I believe a good soldier's taste in alcohol should surpass selections such as Bud Light, Shlitz Malt liquor, and Mad Dog 20/20. I like me some Jager though. biggrin_o.gif

Canadian macrobrewery beer is generally a lot better than American.

That being said, all bets are off when it comes to microbrewery stuff. These guys almost without exception have a heavy duty dedication to good beer. So at that point it comes down to personal preference and taste, because it's all pretty damn good smile_o.gif

New Belgium Brewing Co.

*beams* biggrin_o.gif

So I won't have to say Belgium is one of the best countries in the beer department smile_o.gif

The specialty beers are especially good,but in my humble (and extremely subjective)opinion our normal 'pub' beers are better than other nations' as well,Stella Artois is very popular in other countries too.

I tried Heineken and it's like....dishwater smile_o.gif (probably just me though,seeing how popular it is worldwide)

This is about the only department I'm patriotic in I guess smile_o.gif

My old boss was in the army before he retired (duh). He was stationed in Germany before and was telling us about how his entire company would just head down to oktoberfest and get as drunk as they could. it'd take them a week or so to all get back to their base, so many people would take the wrong train and end up somewhere wierd. crazy_o.gif

Most famous beers here (so probable the best ones too) are Jupiler, Stella Artois, Palm, Duvel, etc

I sometimes drink some beer, but i'm only 16 so i don't do it a lot at all. It's legal to drink it here, as far as i know in the US you need to be 21 to buy it. Or was it 18? Oh well...

Here you can buy beer just like you buy normal food...

Canadian macrobrewery beer is generally a lot better than American.

That being said, all bets are off when it comes to microbrewery stuff.  These guys almost without exception have a heavy duty dedication to good beer.  So at that point it comes down to personal preference and taste, because it's all pretty damn good smile_o.gif

My information about canadian beers limits to Trois Pistoles,

Eau Benite ,Raftman ,La Maudite and Fin Du Monde.

they are pretty strong to me so i dont drink them so often...

Most famous beers here (so probable the best ones too) are Jupiler, Stella Artois, Palm, Duvel, etc

I sometimes drink some beer, but i'm only 16 so i don't do it a lot at all.  It's legal to drink it here, as far as i know in the US you need to be 21 to buy it.  Or was it 18?  Oh well...

21 to drink

18 to smoke

18 to get in a strip club

18 to be charged as an adult

17 to register for selective service

17 to get drivers license in NJ

Raise your hand if you the drinking age should be 18 biggrin_o.gif

I sometimes drink some beer, but i'm only 16 so i don't do it a lot at all.  It's legal to drink it here, as far as i know in the US you need to be 21 to buy it.  Or was it 18?  Oh well...

21 to drink

18 to smoke

doesnt that depend on the state that you live in? I have allways imagined it does.

Are you sure that's always the case? rock.gif

Anyway....Australia, my homeland, produces some fine small-brewery beers. In particular Coopers....lovely Ales, Draughts, Stouts etc. Hmmmm......getting thirsy......

Holy shit, you guys reply fast, i wonder why this thread is so popular... smile_o.gif

21 to drink

18 to smoke

Drinking: no age

smoking: no age

strip: 18

adult: 18

license: 18

Not that much difference...

Holy shit, you guys reply fast, i wonder why this thread is so popular... smile_o.gif

A nice thread that unites people,all can agree for something ( i hope) for a chance

A nice thread that unites people,all can agree for something ( i hope) for a chance

Gotta love booze!

Allright! Lets say you have to pick up one bottle of beer with you,what would it be?

mine would be Schlentgerla Rauchbier from Germany.

EDIT : at least now..

I do like Anchor. There are also a lot of really good microbrews from Madison, Wisconsin. The Capitol Brewery is one that is especially good.

And I think you should have a high school diploma in order to drink or get a driver's license. Age is relative to experience. I've know idiots that were 25 and lots of brilliant 15 year olds. smile_o.gif

I think that you can drink if you drink beer,I started at sixteen IIRC. (though there are always exceptions,but I think parental rules play a bigger part anyway)

But when some kids aged 12-14 drink baccardi breezer and stuff like that I kind of frown upon it,it's alcohol,but it's like lemonade really...

I'm not saying I wasn't a kid at 16 but I didn't overdo it (too much)

If you drink beer you feel you're getting drunk,if you pour too much in it comes right back out,but those baccardi stuff just hits you on the head later.

Some kids had a small coma because they drank too much of it,acting all tough and then ending up in a hospital bed for a few days...

Well, I live just outside of Copenhagen, and they have our two biggest beer-brewies, Carlsberg and the alittle smaller Tuborg.

Carlsberg is good, but i prefer a cold Tuborg...