Sign in to follow this  
DracoPaladore

New us bill to hurt canada defense ind.

I just had a chopped beef sandwich at a local restaurant and I'll be damned if that wasn't one of the best tasting meals I've had in a long time. And if that meat was infected with mad cow, I say bring on the mad cow, as its texture and consistency are superior to that of healthier, more sane bovine.

tounge_o.gif

The odds of getting mad cow here are astronomical. Really...we had ONE infected cow in North America and that led to a media frenzy!

Now back to the original topic....this is what happens when Canadian industry is so dependent on the US (I know, hard to avoid, but perhaps we need closer ties with Europe) and we decide to exersize our sovereingty by refusing to go to war with Iraq. I realize the economic situation in the US has something to do with it as well, but I don't believe it is "only business".

Over the past few months, I've been reading of comments made by the US ambassador to Canada, Paul Cellucci, about how we've "let down" the US by not participating in the war with Iraq and of the "consequences" that would come from that. Well, here we have some consequences. Translation: Bend over and take it when we say so, or your industry gets it.

Here's an article on the subject: Paul Cellucci Should Take A Hike

Also, keep in mind, Canada's relationship with the US hasn't always meant the best for the aerospace industry. American pressure played a big part in the cancellation of the CF-105 Arrow.

The odds of getting mad cow here are astronomical. Really...we had ONE infected cow in North America and that led to a media frenzy!

Now back to the original topic....this is what happens when Canadian industry is so dependent on the US (I know, hard to avoid, but perhaps we need closer ties with Europe) and we decide to exersize our sovereingty by refusing to go to war with Iraq. I realize the economic situation in the US has something to do with it as well, but I don't believe it is "only business".

Over the past few months, I've been reading of comments made by the US ambassador to Canada, Paul Cellucci, about how we've "let down" the US by not participating in the war with Iraq and of the "consequences" that would come from that. Well, here we have some consequences. Translation: Bend over and take it when we say so, or your industry gets it.

Here's an article on the subject: Paul Cellucci Should Take A Hike

Also, keep in mind, Canada's relationship with the US hasn't always meant the best for the aerospace industry. American pressure played a big part in the cancellation of the CF-105 Arrow.

not every country has its "De Gaulle"

i remember a story dating back from when he kicked the american military off the french soil and when he refused to join NNATO, and because of that , one of my uncles got jobless , he was the guardian of one of these bases

but since then we've had few problems , the pressures from the USA are pretty rare here and concern mainly Europe in general

I eat U.S beef and I'm alive..

doesn't proove anything

the CJD has got long incubation times , that means ten years could pass before you'd feel anything

and about the hormones : they have an impact on your organism

I have no idea what you are saying Renegade. What does having 6 "willy's" have anything to do with the impact of Mad Cow have on your organism. The idea itself is pretty silly, and I don't see why you bothered.

Anyways, I think that Toverish is probobly blowing this out of proportion. Tex, I beleive, is right. I think they are just trying to pick up their own Aerospace and defense industry. However, there is still the problem of the Canadian economy suffering a spike from the 10,000 jobless people.

From you're side, you probobly wouldn't give a damn about the Canadian jobless. From our side, we probobly don't give a damn about you're jobless. tounge_o.gif

No, but the growth hormones can cause you to develop breasts, and lower your sperm count for one thing.

Bring on the brain damaged shemales!

Hey, that's what happens when you tie so much of your economy to exports to one country, especially one as erratic in its policies as the US.

I eat U.S beef and I'm alive..

doesn't proove anything

the CJD has got long incubation times , that means ten years could pass before you'd feel anything

Well yes it takes quite a bit of time for enough of your neurons or other nervous system tissues to be deformed by the BSE or CJD prions, not only that but the prions have a very good potential for effecting other animals, actually any animal with a brain could potentially be effected someday.

The silly thing is, to avoid us and other animals consuming the prions from cows all that has to be done is to stop cutting into the spine of the animal and not use the brain tissue for sausage fillers or animal feed. The spine and brain should probably be incinerated, since it's a sure bet to destroy the proteins. smile_o.gif $$$

Translation: Bend over and take it when we say so, or your industry gets it.

Actually Canada is not the only country that gets this response from the US. So don't feel bad. wink_o.gif

You said it though, that's precisely how it works.

Actually there's one factor I forgot when I commented on this, that is the fact that our Prime Minister Cretin has shown to be as intelligent as Bush. Now I think he actually did something respectable in not getting drawn into this particular war, but lately Mr Cretin has been trying to prove to us how good a job he's doing by boasting about how much better our economy is than the US's at the moment....now I live in the same town he does...and either the economy down there is truly and irreparably fucked, or our good Prime Minister has been taking advantage of the recent decriminalization of marijuana. In either case I can see how such coments might raise a few eyebrows in Washington.

Way to go, Mr Cretin. Funny how one hardly ever understands what comes from his mouth in either official language, but when you do, it's bound to cause a shitstorm. By the way, a couple of years ago, during Canada Day, at Parliament, I saw him chanting with the crowd "We're Number One! We're Number One!" Now thank's to him, "We're Number Eight! We're Number Eight!" The US ranks ahead of us. What was that about our great economy again? And I get a feeling the gap is about to widen.

Quote[/b] ]Because the main supporters of the bill are representatives with defense contractor plants in their districts.

Bravo Tex, you nailed Congressional economics in one sentence.

Tovarish, just wait till Martin takes over, you're going to miss Chretien then. As far as I can tell, Chretien has been right on mark politically with your views and especially mine, i don't care what his opinion of the economy is, facts are not changed by opinions. wink_o.gif

Sorry to say, but unless a wonder occurs where the democratic party actually takes over, it's going to be rough (much more bending over to US). And a lot of it is simply how things are, who Canadians are, what resources Canada has etc. etc. You can't change some things like you can't change parents, you just have to put up with some stuff unil it's over (I guess you know that)... smile_o.gif

EDIT: Ever thought the unemployment rate has something to do with how many hours people around here put in? You've still got some people working 10-12h a day in high tech, and then people wonder why the fuck there is a 7.5 percent unemployment rate... it's damn greed. Complete lack of understanding of spreading work out.

As far as I can tell, Chretien has been right on mark politically with your views and especially mine, i don't care what his opinion of the economy is, facts are not changed by opinions.  

Maybe on paper, but I think his government's made far too many screwups. The gun registry itself should have had him kicked out of office. And every week or so we get a new corruption/misspending scandal. Bah the whole thing's a mess. I have to say the alternatives don't look much better either.

Yeah a lot of screwups... I agree.

EDIT: I'm just hoping somehow Manley gets the job over Martin... I know Manley has some more morals. biggrin_o.gif

Way to go, Mr Cretin. Funny how one hardly ever understands what comes from his mouth in either official language, but when you do, it's bound to cause a shitstorm. By the way, a couple of years ago, during Canada Day, at Parliament, I saw him chanting with the crowd "We're Number One! We're Number One!" Now thank's to him, "We're Number Eight! We're Number Eight!" The US ranks ahead of us. What was that about our great economy again? And I get a feeling the gap is about to widen.

So? Personally, I don't really care what they rank us. Canada is always #1 in my book as long as I live in it. Anyways, we've been #1 for a long time. Anyways, what the hell is he suppose to chant!

"THATS IT MY COUNTRY! WE'RE #8! WE'RE #8!" Is he forbidden to feel pride in Canada? Alot of countries, on the top of that list or not, call themselves #1. But thats patriotism as well as joy for you're country. I beleive Canada is the greatest place in the world, but you don't see me chanting "We're #8!" just because UN or whoever voted us as such.

I get this odd feeling that you wouldn't agree with him either way. Was Chretian suppose to foretell the future of the rating of Canada this year? We were #1 for a long time running, I don't think one year will break our backs and destroy the country.

But hey, we broke the US and Britain in school and math scores( I had a news article about this, but I'm trying to find it on CBC).

So? Personally, I don't really care what they rank us. Canada is always #1 in my book as long as I live in it. Anyways, we've been #1 for a long time. Anyways, what the hell is he suppose to chant!

"THATS IT MY COUNTRY! WE'RE #8! WE'RE #8!" Is he forbidden to feel pride in Canada? Alot of countries, on the top of that list or not, call themselves #1. But thats patriotism as well as joy for you're country. I beleive Canada is the greatest place in the world, but you don't see me chanting "We're #8!" just because UN or whoever voted us as such.

I get this odd feeling that you wouldn't agree with him either way. Was Chretian suppose to foretell the future of the rating of Canada this year? We were #1 for a long time running, I don't think one year will break our backs and destroy the country.

But hey, we broke the US and Britain in school and math scores( I had a news article about this, but I'm trying to find it on CBC).

My point is, he's always bragging about something that isn't truly his doing (the UN ranking, or our "great" economy compared to the US)...and every time after he opens his mouth it goes downhill...I just find it amusing. It's not just that he took pride in the #1 spot, he also tried to take credit for it. Let's see him take credit for #8.

Hey I read an article about that when I stayed in a hotel in Ottowa, but does it really matter of the quality of life in the top 10 whats the dif??

Hey I read an article about that when I stayed in a hotel in Ottowa, but does it really matter of the quality of life in the top 10 whats the dif??

Read my above post again, going from #1 to #8 isn't really my point.

Actually, I can't see how we are behind the US in standard of living... I guess somehow it makes sense to the UN. Although I would not say #1.

My point is, he's always bragging about something that isn't truly his doing (the UN ranking, or our "great" economy compared to the US)...and every time after he opens his mouth it goes downhill...I just find it amusing. It's not just that he took pride in the #1 spot, he also tried to take credit for it. Let's see him take credit for #8.

Ah, Ok. Now I understand.

Don't worry, Americans are also dependent on our products, military or military intelligence is included.  No matter how you cut it, Canadians have just the same leverage when it comes to trade of goods and services.  wink_o.gif  

Just watch what happens if the US keeps screwing Canada in economical terms.  biggrin_o.gif

Yeah well, our Bradley Fighting Vehicle is far superior than the Canadian-made LAV. More armor, more firepower etc.