Sign in to follow this  
DracoPaladore

New us bill to hurt canada defense ind.

http://www.cbc.ca/storyview/MSN/2003/07/09/cda_military030709

Quote[/b] ]U.S. bill may hurt Canada's defence industry

Last Updated Wed, 09 Jul 2003 9:59:01

OTTAWA - Ottawa is concerned that an American effort to limit foreign military suppliers could badly hurt Canada's defence industry.

New bill could cost Canadian defence industry $1 billion

The U.S. House of Representatives may place tighter restrictions on non-American companies that sell to the U.S. military.

It comes in the form of a "Buy American" clause added to the Pentagon's $400 billion US defence authorization bill by the House Armed Services Committee.

The proposed legislation would require American companies to buy "critical" components from U.S. companies.

It would also strip Canada of its status as a domestic supplier within the U.S., ending its membership in the U.S. National Technology and Industrial Base.

Norbert Cyr, with the Canadian Defence Industries Association, calls the bill a catastrophe for the Canadian industry, worth more than $1 billion in sales per year.

"You're looking at tens of thousands of jobs. Because it actually goes way beyond just the defence industry because it also touches on the aerospace industry," said Cyr.

A decline in U.S.-Canada relations is part of the problem, he says.

The federal foreign affairs department says it is monitoring the U.S. bill.

Written by CBC News Online staff

I wonder why they are putting up this bill when they know that it will only affect Canadian-American relations even more?

Because the main supporters of the bill are representatives with defense contractor plants in their districts. So that means any foreign competition could be viewed as a threat to their constituents' jobs, their constituents' happiness, and ultimately their positions as representatives. Nothing personal- it's just business.

@ July 09 2003,18:38)]Because the main supporters of the bill are representatives with defense contractor plants in their districts. So that means any foreign competition could be viewed as a threat to their constituents' jobs, their constituents' happiness, and ultimately their positions as representatives. Nothing personal- it's just business.

Makes sense. But the fact that Canada supplies the United States for Aerospace technology, wouldn't that hurt more than help?

@ July 09 2003,18:38)]Because the main supporters of the bill are representatives with defense contractor plants in their districts. So that means any foreign competition could be viewed as a threat to their constituents' jobs, their constituents' happiness, and ultimately their positions as representatives. Nothing personal- it's just business.

Makes sense. But the fact that Canada supplies the United States for Aerospace technology, wouldn't that hurt more than help?

In the sense that it might hurt our defense readiness, yes, yes it would. But the logic is that our defense and aerospace contractors as well would be able to pick up the slack, which would mean more jobs, happier constituents, and reelection for the representatives.

Canada had defense industry? tounge_o.gif

on serious note, Tex hit the nail on the head. congreeman are more worried about their constituents than international effect.

Politicians who are hard bound to industry as CEOs in large companies are a nice thing.

It's partially about the relationship between corporations and politics, but mostly it is about representatives worrying about their grassroot support in their home districts. They can get all the campaign contributions from ominous shadowy corporations they want, but if noone votes for them they're SOL. And jobless voters tend to have a lot more time to sit around and contemplate their situation and who might be to blame.

I hate to bring mommy into this but what the hell  biggrin_o.gif  My mother has been the lead procurment buyer for Douglas/Rockwell/Boeing in Tulsa, Oklahoma for the last jeeze I cant count the years, since the days of douglas. I also couldnt even begin to count the times she has made trips to suppliers in canada. Its been alot. The canadians do have a thriving aerospace industry that we americans, believe it or not, actually depend on. Now Im not saying this bill is wrong, but in my opinion we need to be "buying american" as much as possible. Our economy isnt the best its been and Im sure everyone will agree to that, times are hard. I think maybe the world has been acustomed to america as a rich and powerful country that can lend hands economicaly whenever it wants, right now this is not the case. We need to focus on our at-home needs more than policing and finacialy supporting other countries, even if it means buying an extra billion dollars worth or pylons, honeycomb core, and aircraft aluminum from joe in longbeach, CA rather than someone else in canada. Im also pretty sure those crooked congressmen have alot to do with it, but it could give certain parts of the US a much needed boost of jobs/income so it cant be all bad.

Don't worry, Americans are also dependent on our products, military or military intelligence is included. No matter how you cut it, Canadians have just the same leverage when it comes to trade of goods and services. wink_o.gif

Just watch what happens if the US keeps screwing Canada in economical terms. biggrin_o.gif

Don't worry, Americans are also dependent on our products, military or military intelligence is included.  No matter how you cut it, Canadians have just the same leverage when it comes to trade of goods and services.  wink_o.gif  

Just watch what happens if the US keeps screwing Canada in economical terms.  biggrin_o.gif

We are?

Just watch what happens if the US keeps screwing Canada in economical terms. biggrin_o.gif

No more maple syrup! sad_o.gif

Hey what about vermont mad_o.gif

Just watch what happens if the US keeps screwing Canada in economical terms.  biggrin_o.gif

No more maple syrup!  sad_o.gif

Or plaid flannel PJs! sad_o.gif

Oh......... those are made in Bangladesh nowdays. So Buzz off, Canada! tounge_o.gif

wink_o.gif j/k wink_o.gif

For one, how about banning US beef to Canada? Or no fresh water?

And what will you do without our intel? biggrin_o.gif Ruskies will eat you up alive or something wow_o.gif

No more maple syrup!  sad_o.gif

Or plaid flannel PJs! sad_o.gif

Oh......... those are made in Bangladesh nowdays. So Buzz off, Canada! tounge_o.gif

wink_o.gif j/k wink_o.gif

God, Vermont Maple syrups better, how do I know? I live near high gate springs the border.

I thought we baned canadas meat for mad cow disease? Does it even do anything to humans?

Quote[/b] ]I thought we baned canadas meat for mad cow disease? Does it even do anything to humans?

Yes it does, however the scientific community has proven a long time ago there is no more mad cow disease in Canadian beef or feed, and there is an investigation as to the possibility that the mad cow actually came from the US.

Wow. It amazes me how bad the Bush administration are at international relations.

Wow. It amazes me how bad the Bush administration are at international relations.

Unfortunatly thats not the only thing hes working his magic on :-(

I thought we baned canadas meat for mad cow disease? Does it even do anything to humans?

Yes, all food in Canada are all infected by Mad Cow.

No, there was only one cow found in Alberta that was suffering from Mad Cow deseise. In fact, the cow was linked to a farm in the United States.

it does

http://www.mad-cow.org/

scroll down to the CJD (human form of the mad cow disease) part

http://www.organicconsumers.org/meatlink.html

And this is why I don't eat meat when I'm on holiday in the US anymore.

We had people die over here from CJD, and had to clean up our act. Seems that people won't learn till their citizens stop dropping dead.

Read this link and you'll see why I'm glad US beef is virtually banned in Europe.

also the US seem to pump there meat full of hormones (more than usual) recorded cases of people actually growing males growing larger breast tissue.

recorded cases of people actually growing males growing larger breast tissue.

How is this related to beef?

Hormones