Sign in to follow this  
waffendennis

Open source?

Well evry 1 knows Half life right? the game that can be editet in all kinds of ways : animations Looks and that stuff but no Graphics so i hope OFP2 can have a sort engine like that so the MOD(s) can edit it to all there needs with just a signle SDK kit where you can make your models Islands Animations and game edits... So i hope its posible and i hope Bis will do some thing with it wink_o.gif

Half-life isn't actually open source, although the Quake engine its based on is, source of half-life is still not available as far as I know...

But anyhow, I think it would be nice if it would be a more common practice to release source codes of games. Maybe after the game is "old", or maybe even in the game CD when you buy it. This though would be impossible if the source would include code licensed from somewhere else, and it would make any copyprotections useless (Though imo. they are useless anyway, just causing headache to those who legally buy the games.). It would make possiblities with the game limitless.

Whats the difference in terms of what you can modify with the game between a SDK and the whole source code?

Oh and if there was a SDK, what kind of stuff could the Mod makers do that they cant today?

Well, with a full source you can do anything you ever want and with a Quake style "SDK" you are limited to what the developers allow you to do.

u do not want the source released

then anyone could compile their own version of opf with a multitude of cheats etc built in

it would be stupid

an sdk, and open source, are two completely different issues

Oh and if there was a SDK, what kind of stuff could the Mod makers do that they cant today?

For example general AI behaviour, controls, physics and much more. Now you can actually do "only" new models, sounds, textures and configs, stringtables and front-end (maybe I've forgotten something). All game-modifications are made by scripts. It would be nice to have opportunity to go deeper into the engine rules either by some sort of advanced scripting or SDK. (imagine to have ability to mess with the AIcenter classes... mhhmm, nasty wink_o.gif )

u do not want the source released

I do. Really biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]then anyone could compile their own version of opf with a multitude of cheats etc built in

I dont care if someone cheats in singleplayer, and in multiplayer its "easy" to cheat already even without the source. Its still stupid and I dont care that much if someone does it, I only play with mature people who dont want or need to do that :P

There should be something like, you can move smoothly like in half-life or cs, but still have the realistic effects of OFP and the environment.

I agree with you kegs. I don't play with the cheaters, so it doesn't bother me.

If we had the source code, we would be able to create such things as missiles on wheeled vehicles, better AI, swimming and all that jazz.

Maybe BIS could trial it (like they did with O2) with a few trusted mod makers, to see what they come up with. That would be like a shot in the arm to OFP, especially if it could be combined with greater public awareness (i.e. posting addons on the CD's of games mags) And an "official" version could be endorsed by BIS, if we [the modmakers] could come up with anything good enough - like missiles on wheeled vehicles, multiple gunners etc)

just a thought wink_o.gif

I dont think OPEN Source is a good idea or SDK,I think that BIS needs to do all that.And I can promise you that This will never be released.

I dont think OPEN Source is a good idea or SDK,I think that BIS needs to do all that.And I can promise you that This will never be released.

you base that on what facts?

I agree , i would gladly like to have an open source of it, and cheaters dont bother me , as DeadMeatXM2 and Kegetys said,

i only play with mature people and not cheaters

alot of things would be then possible smile_o.gif

A SDK would be good, but I don't see open source as likely.

Quote[/b] ]Originally posted by Kegetys I dont care if someone cheats in singleplayer, and in multiplayer its "easy" to cheat already even without the source. Its still stupid and I dont care that much if someone does it, I only play with mature people who dont want or need to do that :P

Correct, and I only play coop OFP so it doesn't affect me either, but from other games I can see that sometimes you don't get an option - sometimes you don't know if someone is cheating, or do but cant do anything about it other than change server.

Open Source would be very nice, since you are able to change things that make you extremely angry.

You could i.e. enhance the scripting engine with some commands that should've been in there, but haven't been implemented. Think of SetMarkerText a.s.o.

You could throw away some bugs (though this is difficult, especially in such a complex project) and enhance the game.

You wouldn't nee all the scripting, which is extremely slow compared to compiled code, to achieve all the DKM, BAS Gizmos built into their addons. I can't play these addons really smooth because of the amount of scripting.

But I too think, that BIS won't release any source code because of VBS. The community is able to make addons as high quality as BIS and I think that there are some decent coders, so who would need VBS anyway? smile_o.gifsad_o.gif

"i dont care if it allows cheaters cos i dont play with them - i just want my open source!"

very mature attitude guys, nice.

well i want it to so we can do evry thing with ofp like: editing the wole game to your mod style. but against the iligal copy's and selling you (BIS) can make a system like this: you need to register first to get hold of the product to edit but you need to tell BIS in a mail/letter what you wanna do with it and you must agree the terms and show evry xx_month(s) some work what you did and if BIS is thinking that you are not doing the right job they cancel the contract and no more SDK for you easy right? wink_o.gif

which on of you can write me a program that can make a 3d tank move and fire.If you can do that than I guess you guys know what you are talking about.

which on of you can write me a program that can make a 3d tank move and fire.

I could smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]If you can do that than I guess you guys know what you are talking about.

Yup.

Well,I guess I will just stop here with this because this topic is just about pointless.I dont see BIS releasing anything like that or they would have about a year ago.Ive even ask Maruk long ago about this and I pretty sure it still stands an always will.