Sign in to follow this  
Warin

The Iraq Thread 2

@ Sep. 17 2003,08:49)]
Quote[/b] ]If they really wanted to heal the relations they should give them their real name "Pommes Frites".

Fried apples?  rock.gif

Quote[/b] ]That would at least heal the realtions with Belgium since they created the dish.

Ahh yes, it is indeed time for healing. I think we can all agree that the bloody Freedom Fry War of 1982 was a low point in Belgian-American relations, and that it's time to move on.

Quote[/b] ]Never understood why the French would be insulted by "French Fries" since there never was any such dish in France.

I don't think they are 'insulted' by this whole French fry thing so much as 'amused'.

Quote[/b] ]And since we now know it gives you cancer maybe they should stop eating it altogether ;)

Whoa, when did this happen? Potatoes deep-fried in grease cause cancer??

A little history on Pommes(potatoes) Frites(Fried). You can even enjoy it in US smile_o.gif. It was Belgians that first started this particular way of frying potatoes. It might be confusing with Pommes being apples but Pommes de Terre is potatoes so it's just a short name which could confuse some.

http://www.pommesfrites.ws/

Regarding the Cancer; It was a Swedish report about Acryl Amide causing Cancer, something that was refuted by a British report later but it makes sense to me cause; Frying something in fat oil isn't exactly good for the health. Not to forget that it makes peopel look like blobs.

It didnt' stop me from buying Pommes Frites to my BK burger yesterday though smile_o.gif. Apparently I dont live the way I learn.

BM

@ Sep. 17 2003,08:49)]I don't think they are 'insulted' by this whole French fry thing so much as 'amused'.

we're not amused , we're scared by the absolute debility of some of your officials , that's all

Actually, if you use olive oil for fries, then it is much healthier smile_o.gif

yeah you're right smile_o.gif

well , my mother always used olive oil , but that has to do with her nationality of origin smile_o.gif

well , my mother always used olive oil , but that has to do with her nationality of origin smile_o.gif

Mediterranean cuisine is the healthiest (and tastiest biggrin_o.gif ) in the world smile_o.gif

Whereabouts is ur mum from, if I may ask? Italian?

Olive Oil is a must have in any kitchen smile_o.gif. Though I use sunflower oil too since it's cheaper. Quallity Olive Oil is tough on the wallet.

Btw, I forgot that Belgians put mayonaise on their fries too. Talk about fat bomb smile_o.gif.

I am also a big fan of the Italian,Spanish and French cuisine btw.

BM

Mediterranean cuisine is the healthiest (and tastiest biggrin_o.gif ) in the world smile_o.gif

Whereabouts is ur mum from, if I may ask? Italian?

La mia mama é Italiana tounge_o.gif

well , her father who was french came to Italy after then end of WW2 and met a beautifull Italian girl and sveral months later , my mum was here smile_o.gif

From Iraq to cooking techniques and geneology...  rock.gif

Sorry for that. Just had to comment the fry issue (been wondering about that for a time) smile_o.gif.

BM

Little Rumsfeld is now saying that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. They are bailing out... biggrin_o.giftounge_o.gif

Little Rumsfeld is now saying that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. They are bailing out...  biggrin_o.gif  tounge_o.gif

Well, they really didnt say directly that Saddam was responsible, just not-so-subtle hints. unclesam.gif

seems like TBA is trying to slowly pull its tails between its legs.

Cheney said "I do not know if there were any links." or so on 'Meet the Press' over the weekend, and Bush is saying that there is no link between 9-11 and Hussein.

Of course, by techincality, TBA can say, "Look, although not 9-11, Hussein has been supporting terrorism. So we need to launch pre-emptive attack."

However, there has been no supprt of WMD that Hussein supposedly produced and supplied.

I would probably argue that he didn't support terror at all. Yes, he paid money to the families of suicide bombers, but I wouldn't call that supporting terror. To me, supporting terror is actively financing, sheltering and training terrorists the further your interests.

Little Rumsfeld is now saying that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. They are bailing out...  biggrin_o.gif  tounge_o.gif

CNN article on the subject.

Now, what really caught my eye was this:

Quote[/b] ]

The president's comment was in line with a statement Tuesday by Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, who said he not seen any evidence that Saddam was involved in the attacks.

Yet, a new poll found that nearly 70 percent of respondents believed the Iraqi leader probably was personally involved. Rumsfeld said, "I've not seen any indication that would lead me to believe that I could say that."

70% ?  crazy_o.gif  crazy_o.gif My guess would have been perhaps 20-30% tops (FOX news followers etc). But 70%?

Do we live on the same planet?

Edit: Another thing. BBC Blix interview (RealAudio). Very good analysis of the WMD situation.

Quote[/b] ]

The president's comment was in line with a statement Tuesday by Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, who said he not seen any evidence that Saddam was involved in the attacks.

Yet, a new poll found that nearly 70 percent of respondents believed the Iraqi leader probably was personally involved. Rumsfeld said, "I've not seen any indication that would lead me to believe that I could say that."

70% ?  crazy_o.gif  crazy_o.gif My guess would have been perhaps 20-30% tops (FOX news followers etc). But 70%?

Do we live on the same planet?

Well, as everyone knows, polls can be extremely skewed by where they are taken, how they are worded and other factors...

Or, maybe it was a phone poll...

redneckhome.gif

Edit: Another thing. BBC Blix interview (RealAudio). Very good analysis of the WMD situation.

Very good link, thanks, especially the last paragraph of Blix is something quite ovbious.

Anyway, everything has been obvious since the start of all this Iraq WMD threat mumbo-jumbo, but people like sheep followed blindly. So what can be done? I was here every day just seeing the same rhetoric for war, and it took place, people died, still die, and... this is really screwed up and the people responsible should really be in jail now... when are all the lazy asses going to take the day off from work to kick Bushes ass? Bring the guns. wink_o.giftounge_o.gif

Hehe biggrin_o.gif

We're learning at school that America's constitution gives you the right to erect an new governement if the current one isn't acting for the good of America... Now it's about damn time, isn't it? rock.gif

$33ker @ Sep. 18 2003,10:06)]Hehe biggrin_o.gif

We're learning at school that America's constitution gives you the right to erect an new governement if the current one isn't acting for the good of America... Now it's about damn time, isn't it? rock.gif

Thats why we have the 2nd Amendment. But, since the government still meets most of our needs and interests, we'll simply replace the current administration with a new one in the manner our founding fathers intended for us, peacefully next November in the election.

Very good link, thanks,  especially the last paragraph of Blix is something quite ovbious.

Anyway, everything has been obvious since the start of all this Iraq WMD threat mumbo-jumbo, but people like sheep followed blindly.  So what can be done?  I was here every day just seeing the same rhetoric for war, and it took place, people died, still die, and... this is really screwed up and the people responsible should really be in jail now... when are all the lazy asses going to take the day off from work to kick Bushes ass?  Bring the guns.  wink_o.gif  tounge_o.gif

I don't think most Americans supported the war out of fear of WMD. I think most educated Americans supported the war for the benefit of the Iraqi people. That benefit, we all understood would take 3-5 years to be fully realized. Since 3-5 years haven't passed by yet, we aren't all that concerned about the current chaotic situation in Iraq, it was something we always expected. Now, if we find out TBA blatantly lied to us, people will be held accountable.

Look at Iraq, its not Vietnam, My Dad, who fought in Vietnam said we lost 30 -100 Americans a day over there. By comparison, Iraq isn't even a real guerilla war. The low number of casualties strongly indicate that the bulk of the Iraqi people aren't interested in killing Americans. If they were, we'd be generating Vietnam-like casualties. I listened to a radio interview of an Iraqi college professor here on PBS the other day. He said that in his experience, the bulk of the Iraqi people were grateful the U.S. ousted Saddam, that they want the U.S. to help them rebuild and recover from the war and from the Baath regime's damage to the infrastructure. That many of them expected a miracle from the Americans and that everything would be A-OK within a few weeks, so there was a lot of inevitable dissappointment in America. That after the Iraqis came to terms with that dissapointment, many were willing to be patient, or even to help out, but that most want the U.S. gone as soon as possible though. Also, things really aren't all that bad in Baghdad. He said they are just about back to where they were before the war started. Intermittent power outages and water shortages were common back then as well. The problem is that the Iraqis are complaining because they expected a miracle, in that American could rebuild their infrastructure in just a few weeks. This guy was really pissed at the media, especially the Arab media for overhyping the situation and not portraying it accurately or fairly.

I don't think most Americans supported the war out of fear of WMD. I think most educated Americans supported the war for the benefit of the Iraqi people. That benefit, we all understood would take 3-5 years to be fully realized. Since 3-5 years haven't passed by yet, we aren't all that concerned about the current chaotic situation in Iraq, it was something we always expected. Now, if we find out TBA blatantly lied to us, people will be held accountable.

You don't expect me to believe this do you? If this was for the good of Iraqi people then it would have gone through with the support of the UN. The US would not have disabled Iraqs essential infrastructure (power, and water facilities) during the proces either. Most people were supporting it because of the WMD/terrorism threat, you don't go in helping a people when they don't ask, and the world strongly disagrees. rock.gif (higher education has very little to do with common sense and social problems)

EDIT: You HAVE found Bush lied to you, what are you waiting for, him/them to prove they did not? Because they can prove somehow they did not, if they actually want to cover their tracks at all... the government will always win out in it's own court system.

I don't think most Americans supported the war out of fear of WMD.  I think most educated Americans supported the war for the benefit of the Iraqi people.  T

Oh, that's utter crap. The reasons why Americans supported the war was because of Iraq's alledged WMD and their alledged terrorism links. The "helping the Iraqi people" is pure revisionism. Take a look at the original Iraq thread and refresh your memory.

How many americans gave a shit about Iraq before 9/11? And how many did especially when Saddam was an ally? blues.gif